Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jim Duggan 1983 Wrestlling All Star PSA 10 on ebay now at $810!!! SOLD

It is a set registry battle right now but I think there will be a few other lurkers around as the prices for wrestling seem to be back on the upswing after a little bit of a lull with a flood of cards in the market.
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not like the top to bottom centering on this one, think I have seen stronger examples in a PSA 9.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the strongest of my three PSA 9's.

• Options
    Geez, David right on cue, too funny!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I did not even see your comment until I posted the scan.

The top to bottom centering is a little off but it is in a PSA 10 holder and there is only currently one.
  • Options
    Five bidders on this card at $449 or more tells me people would love to own this card......
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Why is Dpecks card bigger?
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is Dpecks card bigger? >>

I was going to say the same thing. Comparing the two cards, the PSA 10 has a shorter border at the top compared to DPeck's PSA 9, but then if you look at the bottom borders you'll see that DPeck's card is also larger. Hmmmmm....
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>The cards are actually just about the same size, they're just sitting differently in the holders.

>>

The 9 has better top to bottom centering, the 10 has better left to right. It will be interesting to see how high this goes.

Ebay auction link
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    My bad, taking a cursory look it seemed like it to me, what's the top/bottom ratio for both?
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>10: 13/20 9: 16/18 >>

Very nice analysis. It's too bad PSA can't/ doesn't use this kind of analysis and technology when assigning grades. It would eat into their bottomline I imagine as they couldn't grade as many cards per day or they'd have to hire more graders or turn-around times would be longer....all not ideal from a business perspective. I can see where people say "buy the card, not the holder."
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck wins.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're right on the sizing, Paul. Should be interesting to see where this bad boy ends up....
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    It's easy to tell when you have two side-by-side one is better. Mistakes happen I guess. Is PSA more liberal in grading cards PSA 10s? It seems like you lose the credibility of PSA 10s when stuff like this happens. It'd make sense to send potential PSA 10s off to an independent team to put more objectivity and analysis into the grade before the final grade is awarded.
  • Options
    The final price was $810 and the card was won by irvinecardco.

I guess Orange County Sports Investments are getting into rare wrestling cards.

• Options
    Not to my knowledge.

I don't recall ever seeing that EBAY ID bid on the wrestling cards.

I do see they have placed 89% of their bids with Probstein.

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    89%, you say? That's almost an A!

This thread:

• Options
    Feedback shows paid.

• Options
    This boggles my mind. I'm a big fan of 80s wrestling, even into the early 90s. Havent really followed it closely for the last 15 years, but this is juts a fugly card. Such an investment...boggles my mind that someone wouldn't want to spend that on a Clemente or a Mantle or anything like that. I know you wouldn't get a PSA 9 at that price, but I just don't see ever getting your money back on that kind of purchase, and honestly its a boring, ugly card.