Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about how VCP collects sales data

Does anyone know how much or little variance there is with inclusion for the published/posted VCP sales data? For example, they'll obviously record items where the title includes "1966 Bobby Orr" but will it also pick up on a listing that says "66-67 Bobby Orr" or "Bobby Orr Rookie" where both listings have specifically omitted "1966"? Just wondering, since omission of certain search terms in an item title can lead to sales prices that are well below market value, and thereby affect the posted averages from the same items that would have included correct/accurate titles.

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know how much or little variance there is with inclusion for the published/posted VCP sales data? For example, they'll obviously record items where the title includes "1966 Bobby Orr" but will it also pick up on a listing that says "66-67 Bobby Orr" or "Bobby Orr Rookie" where both listings have specifically omitted "1966"? Just wondering, since omission of certain search terms in an item title can lead to sales prices that are well below market value, and thereby affect the posted averages from the same items that would have included correct/accurate titles. >>

No idea, but I've always found Bobby at VCP to be an easy guy to email with those kind of questions.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>No idea, but I've always found Bobby at VCP to be an easy guy to email with those kind of questions. >>

Bobby Orr works at VCP? image Kewl! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    You can always click through at least the recent listings in the detail screen of the pricing for a particular grade. if the link to the auction is still active, the data is still available in ebay.

From what i understand the average prices is only based on the last 2 or 3 years of data 9to be confirmed but there is a set time period) and those auctions should be available to confirm so if you don't see one you expected to because of the naming, you can adjust your conclusion accordingly.

what we need is an option to download pricing data to a spreadhseet, i would even be willing to pay per download on top of my subscription - in case you email bobby...
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Regarding Orr, it is just the first name that popped into my head for a random example since I have his famous photo here in my office.
  • Options
    Basically my question comes from when I decide to shop for a particular card for myself, I track completed sales for a little while and keep records of the words used in the listing title in addition to price, grade, and grading company. Then I can figure out how low I might reasonably be able to find one if I wait for the right listing that omits certain phrasing instead of picking one up that is easier to find and might be on target w/ VCP but still be higher priced just due to inclusion of search terms.

Examples would be, does the listing include just "Rookie", just "RC", or does it say "Rookie RC"? Did they include the card number in the title or not? These are just some of the many types of variances I've taken to tracking when planning to make a purchase, and the info is often pretty interesting once you have a large enough sample size to make it statistically significant to study. So, it finally led me to wonder how much these varieties of listing titles affect VCP data.
  • Options
    When looking at recent prices I see some denoted as "auction" and others as "listing". Is "listing" an instance were the seller had listed the card then removed it?
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how the current change to not showing accepted BO prices is going affect VCP?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Not sure but that change about best offer you mention is disappointing since I've used the accepted best offer records for a particular seller to judge what % reduction they'd accept for another item from them that I wanted. I'm sure the new change can benefit sellers, but from a selling perspective I also like to see the best offer accepted sales info in order to judge where to set my starting auction price for selling a similar item.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how the current change to not showing accepted BO prices is going affect VCP? >>

If you're looking at a listing that doesn't show the accept best offer price (the ones that just have a line through the original price), just change the ebay.com in the address bar to ebay.ca
  • Options
    That works, thanks for the tip!
  • Options

<< <i>That works, thanks for the tip! >>

No problem! Still wondering if this is something that was an intended change by eBay or if they just broke something... hopefully they won't break the Canadian site anytime soon
  • Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    You should also know that VCP excludes sales of cards from certain ebay sellers, which would also affect the average. Steve Novella, who does a lot of PSA set breaks, is one that comes to mind.
  • Options

<< <i>You should also know that VCP excludes sales of cards from certain ebay sellers, which would also affect the average. Steve Novella, who does a lot of PSA set breaks, is one that comes to mind. >>

Why would Novella be excluded?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You should also know that VCP excludes sales of cards from certain ebay sellers, which would also affect the average. Steve Novella, who does a lot of PSA set breaks, is one that comes to mind. >>

Why would Novella be excluded? >>

IIRC, it was because he would not place PSA and the grade number AFTER the card instead of in front.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why would Novella be excluded? >>

IIRC, it was because he would not place PSA and the grade number AFTER the card instead of in front. >>

Thanks Grote. Unbelievable that the formatting of the title would matter.
  • Options

Not true at all....
  • Options
    Hi Bobby, thanks for chiming in on this thread. Any insight as to answering its original question?
  • Options
    When we do our pull it is based off keywords like PSA, graded, SGC, BGS, BVG, etc...nothing like rookie or player names. We
    are trying to just pull in the graded cards and not the raw.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobby, wasn't there an issue a while back in which you had told a seller that you could not capture his data if he continued to put PSA and the grade in front of the card and yewar instead of behind?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Bobby, wasn't there an issue a while back in which you had told a seller that you could not capture his data if he continued to put PSA and the grade in front of the card and yewar instead of behind? >>

Yes he was not included in our live listing feature. His sales if they where made where picked up.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
    Some recent missed sales:

Jan 23, 2013 11:44:06 PST...PSA 8, 1978 Topps, Dr. J., Julius Erving, #130, Philadelphia 76ers, NM-MT, HOF
    Sold for: US $7.00

Jan 20, 2013 05:14:24 PST...PSA 8, 1978 Topps, Dr. J., Julius Erving, #130, Philadelphia 76ers, NM-MT, HOF
    Winning bid: US $5.99

Jan 18, 2013 07:31:24 PST...PSA 10, 1978 Topps, Steve Hawes, #21, Atlanta Hawks, GEM MINT
    Sold for: US $13.00

Jan 17, 2013 18:24:41 PST...PSA 8, 1987 O-Pee-Chee OPC, Marty McSorley ROOKIE, #205, Edmonton Oilers
    Sold for: US $15.00

Jan 17, 2013 09:46:19 PST...PSA 8, 1971 Topps Super, Donn Clendenon, #4, New York Mets, NM-MT

Jan 17, 2013 09:44:46 PST...PSA 8, 1971 Topps Super, Nate Colbert, #22, San Diego Padres, NM-MT

2 more 71 supers, Wright & Brock

Dec-29 07:58...PSA 10, 1992 Stadium Club, Hakeem Olajuwon, Beam Team, #16, Rockets GEM MINT
    Dec-29 07:55...PSA 8, 1970 Topps, Jim Nance, #60, Boston - New England Patriots, NM-MT
    Dec-27 15:50...PSA 8, 1971 Topps Super, Ted Savage, #3, Milwaukee Brewers, NM-MT

My last sale that VCP "picked up" was back on DEC 20th, 14 single cards sold since, all within VCP's 1999 and back time frame, all 7 days or less listings, no 30 day listings etc., all had ending times by Jan 24th.
  • Options
    Wow, VCP is missing these $5.99-$15.00 items, how devistating!
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
    These are misssing:

1986 87 Fleer Basketball #57 Michael Jordan Rookie RC HOF Bulls PSA 9 MINT
    Ended: Dec 27, 201219:35:32 PST
    Winning bid: US $1,430.00 [ 23 bids ]
    Seller information probstein123

Ended: Dec 20, 201219:15:06 PST
    Winning bid: US $1,375.00 [ 24 bids ]

1975 TOPPS HCK #100 BOBBY ORR PSA 9
    Ended: Dec 14, 201216:36:07 PST
    Winning bid: US $61.01[ 13 bids ]
    Seller information dslsports

• Options

<< <i>These are misssing:

Ended: Dec 27, 201219:35:32 PST
    Winning bid: US $1,430.00 [ 23 bids ]

Ended: Dec 20, 201219:15:06 PST
    Winning bid: US $1,375.00 [ 24 bids ]

1975 TOPPS HCK #100 BOBBY ORR PSA 9
    Ended: Dec 14, 201216:36:07 PST
    Winning bid: US $61.01[ 13 bids ]
    Seller information dslsports >>

OK, These are deffinitely more note worthy. There must be a reason the software is not picking these up. Bobby from VCP has said that if you find a mistake, email the company & they will make the corrections.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    For BobbyVCP:

Are you able to access and report accepted "Best Offers" anymore? We can't...

Recent 2013 examples:

Item #221179079410 1969 Topps 260 Reggie Jackson RC PSA 8 (listed at $699 UNKNOWN Best Offer accepted)

Item #111004526954 1967 Topps 569 Rod Carew RC PSA 8 (listed at $899 UNKNOWN Best Offer accepted)

Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>For BobbyVCP:

Are you able to access and report accepted "Best Offers" anymore? We can't...

Recent 2013 examples:

Item #221179079410 1969 Topps 260 Reggie Jackson RC PSA 8 (listed at $699 UNKNOWN Best Offer accepted)

Item #111004526954 1967 Topps 569 Rod Carew RC PSA 8 (listed at $899 UNKNOWN Best Offer accepted)

Thanks! >>

Not sure how the VCP is programmed but I track sales and capture data with eBay API findCompletedItems http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1 and it still grabs the real selling price of BO (if your not a programmer this probably makes no sense)

FYI the Jackson went for - 624.50 and the Carew went for $650
  • Options
    Yes we get the best offers with the correct price it is like the BIN and will
    go into our system when the date set by the seller expires. Same thing
    for gameused his actions are being captured and going into our BIN system
    as well.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the sales data sschauer513!
  • Options
    You can still see the accepted Best Offer price if you change the "ebay.com" to "ebay.ca" in the URL

Link