Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Speaking of Henderson RC's...

Until the recent justin/handyman PSA 10, I always thought this was one of the sweetest Henderson RC's that I had ever seen with regard to centering and registration. Still deliberating whether to get a grade assigned, but pretty certain it is a dead-nuts PSA 9 since there is the slightest hint of wear on the upper left corner (still less than the Dmitri Young example's upper right). Given the fact that it is autographed, I am amazed at how pristine the corners, edges and such are.

Comments

• Options
    I would love to have that in my collection. Your right, that does look like a solid 9. One reason why I tend to stay away from autographed base cards is because they are usually beat up but this one is in amazing condition. BTW - Hendersons auto has changed quite a bit from the signature on that card back in 1980
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card Scott!

A razor sharp signed card is very cool no matter who it is and this is an iconic card of one of the best baseball players ever. Awesome!!

The Rickey Henderson rookie is one of the best looking baseball cards in my opinion. I just love his stance and the 1980 Topps set design.

If you did not know anything about baseball I believe you could look at this card and think this guy has to be good.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Definitely one of my favorite cards. I tried to scarf this up back in the day before I ever knew who he was. Lol

May want to have that one reviewed.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott ... if that were my card it would be heading into PSA with my next batch of $5.00 specials to get assigned a grade and re-slabbed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    As a side note, I must say, it is really nice to see so much love for Henderson these days. When I left collecting in the early 90's, Henderson was a jerk, scumbag, egotistical showboat due to his words against Lou Brock. In fact I remember his card values declined because of it and some thought it would have hurt his chances in getting to the Hall.

But coming back I detect no scorn among collectors.
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Speaking of Henderson...Is he a hard autograph to get? I do not see him much doing shows
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of Henderson...Is he a hard autograph to get? I do not see him much doing shows >>

Here is one close to me taking place next month:

Rickey Henderson

At the Steiner Sports Store
    The Steiner Sports Store
    Roosevelt Field Mall
    Garden City, NY 11530
    800-242-7139

Pricing
    $110 Flats up to 8x10 / Balls
    $130 Flats up to 16x20 / Bobble Heads and Bobble Base
    $150 Oversized items bigger than 16x20 / Hats / Figurines / Canvas prints / Seatbacks
    $250 Bats / Jerseys / Clothing / Numbers / Original Art Work / Gloves / Helmets
    $50 Man of Steal / Stolen Base King / #24 / 3,000 hits / etc. Inscriptions
    $75 HOF 2009 Inscription

*Please Note - Rickey will not sign bases

02/16/2013

12:00 PM-1:30 PM
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    That is a great looking Henderson rookie. I would definitely get that one graded. Have a Henderson rookie auto card is nice, but one in a PSA 9 would be phenomenal.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Until the recent justin/handyman PSA 10, I always thought this was one of the sweetest Henderson RC's that I had ever seen with regard to centering and registration. Still deliberating whether to get a grade assigned, but pretty certain it is a dead-nuts PSA 9 since there is the slightest hint of wear on the upper left corner (still less than the Dmitri Young example's upper right). Given the fact that it is autographed, I am amazed at how pristine the corners, edges and such are.

image >>

Nice auto/card combo!

Looks like there is a small horizontal surface wrinkle to the left, slightly above, the "OUTFIELD" banner in the upper left. If that's there it'd probably knock it down to an 8 Centering is a little off to the left so would probably be a 9 sans wrinkle

Either way I'd get this one graded since it has plenty of upside. >>

Paul: No wrinkle and the tilt is minimal...I think my eyes and my track record in the hobby speak for themselves with being able to assign grades and catch flaws.

Please, for now and the unending and infinite future, DO NOT involve yourself with ANYTHING that I post. You wanted it this way from my end as expressed through your contacts with the mods and your scathing PM, now I am publicly demanding it from you. You no longer exist in my book and would appreciate the same quarter from you. No response is warranted . . . in fact, none is wanted
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    You wanted it this way from my end as expressed through your contacts with the mods and your scathing PM, now I am publicly demanding it from you. You no longer exist in my book and would appreciate the same quarter from you. No response is warranted . . . in fact, none is wanted

aaaaaaaannnnnnddd
  • Options
    Such a beautiful example of this card, why on earth did you have it signed? image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>Such a beautiful example of this card, why on earth did you have it signed? image >>

I actually purchased it already signed and unslabbed. Initially, I was oblivious to the stunning condition. I just thought, the card is in better shape than most auto'd cards and was well centered.

I subbed it with a group of other autos that I did not want to gave grades assigned to. Once it came back and I really examined it, I was floored.

Now, I've gotta try to maximize the value, so I will forward it in on a future sub (as is) and ask them to assign a grade to it. Not sure if it getting a PSA 9 and having the autograph will help or hurt it versus market value for an unsigned PSA 9, but I'm not overly concerned.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott absolutely a gorgeous card regardless if some loser thinks its got a defect, best of luck if you decide to go for a grade
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Such a beautiful example of this card, why on earth did you have it signed? image >>

I actually purchased it already signed and unslabbed. Initially, I was oblivious to the stunning condition. I just thought, the card is in better shape than most auto'd cards and was well centered.

I subbed it with a group of other autos that I did not want to gave grades assigned to. Once it came back and I really examined it, I was floored.

Now, I've gotta try to maximize the value, so I will forward it in on a future sub (as is) and ask them to assign a grade to it. Not sure if it getting a PSA 9 and having the autograph will help or hurt it versus market value for an unsigned PSA 9, but I'm not overly concerned. >>

Ok, that does make sense. Makes me feel better, ty image

and i agree, go ahead and get a numberic grade, i cant see why it wouldnt 9
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Ya think this politician has a lot of arguments with himself? LOL

I know you guys are business partners in the cardboard game, is this where you keep all your cards?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Paul got poofed!
  • Options
    Hehe, someone got owned (again)
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    very nice Rick Horeleia auto, dig it.

btw, i just noticed that big lump on his right arm, is that where he stored his ego? image
  • Options

<< <i>very nice Rick Horeleia auto, dig it.

btw, i just noticed that big lump on his right arm, is that where he stored his ego? image >>

Rickey's ego in that bump on his right arm? I think he stored his ego in the Grand Canyon and even then, it took four states worth of land to hold it...
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>very nice Rick Horeleia auto, dig it.

btw, i just noticed that big lump on his right arm, is that where he stored his ego? image >>

Rickey's ego in that bump on his right arm? I think he stored his ego in the Grand Canyon and even then, it took four states worth of land to hold it... >>

it should have an entourage all it's own. image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, and I do every now and then, Rickey set the stolen base record the same day Nolan Ryan threw a no-hitter. The difference in the demeanor of these two gentlemen that day was tremendous.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>If I remember correctly, and I do every now and then, Rickey set the stolen base record the same day Nolan Ryan threw a no-hitter. The difference in the demeanor of these two gentlemen that day was tremendous. >>

Yea, I couldn't stand how Ryan acted like he was the greatest . . . image (added for s&g's)
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭