Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Football Box

What is the going rate these days for a sealed box of 1976 Topps Wax and Cello boxes?

Comments

• Options
    Gotta be pretty pricey. When was the last time Steve had them in stock?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Whatever you are willing to pay for a legititmate one. I believe we did a group break on a cello box some time back.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    I think the cello box was about $2100 in the group break
  • Options
    So I'm thinking about getting a cello box around $2,000. It looks like a nice box. Packs look well sealed, consistent folds. Tight. Is there a relatively good chance of pulling a Peyton? A box yields 432 cards. But its a 528 card set. Anyone have experience opening a box? I can sometimes jump into things without enough information, but want to get a good feel for this before pulling the trigger.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 430 cards in a box and 528 cards in a set I would think the odds are about 4 out of 5 boxes will have a Walter payton but 1 in 5 wont.
  • Options
    Cellos are just to easy to cherry pick based on sequence. It better be a good source or the odds go down dramatically. If you want a Payton rookie why not just buy the card? It's much cheaper even in PSA 9 than the box. You don't even break even on the box if you scored 3 PSA 9 Payton rookies.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Busting mid 70s cellos in search of anything better than NM cards is essentially an exercise in futility..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless your looking for the thrill of pulling a Payton, as stated PSA 9s can be had for less than half the price of a box!

• Options
    Well, right now I am interested in buying boxes and keeping it sealed for the time being. I dont know anything about sequences so I cant say how to spot one. Whether I get the packs graded or open them in the future, I dont know at this moment. I do already have a Peyton, but graded a 5. Personally, I would rather pull one from a pack than buy one. But buying a box and getting the Peyton is what its about - or at least that is generally what you are paying for. Just like Brett of 75 or any other major rookie of any year. Is it not? I am just trying to see if the price is justified at the moment. Maybe I'm just not ready for this kind of investment.
  • Options
    Try a few of steves wax packs. give it a shot!
  • Options

<< <i>Try a few of steves wax packs. give it a shot! >>

Wax would definitely increase your odds at pulling a mint Payton.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

Wax would definitely increase your odds at pulling a mint Payton. >>

Just curious. Why would a wax pack increase the odds?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just curious. Why would a wax pack increase the odds? >>

Packs from this era usually were packed in a way where the cards followed a sequence.. So a savy collector who knows what cards come before & after Payton in the sequence would be able to drastically improve their odds of pulling the Payton rookie by seeing what cards are on the top or bottom of the pack. It's not 100% full proof because sometimes the sequence might be broken in the middle of a pack. With a wax pack it is much harder (in some cases impossible?) to see what cards are on the top and bottom of the pack so it descreases the chance that someone has cherry picked the packs with Payton.

Also from what I understand it's much harder to pull a mint card from a cello pack from this era than it is from a wax pack because of how tightly Topps wrapped the cello packs and the resulting corner damage to the cards.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Also from what I understand it's much harder to pull a mint card from a cello pack from this era than it is from a wax pack because of how tightly Topps wrapped the cello packs and the resulting corner damage to the cards. >>

Tough but not impossible image The cello I pulled my PSA 9 from yielded several other 9's as well!

From looking at the packs themselves, I wouldn't have though it possible either.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as a general rule, if you're looking for mint cards it's racks > wax > cellos.
  • Options
    Also, Steve has the packs in stock. Ripping legit packs is always great for peace of mind.
  • Options
    Just sold a beauty 76 wax box for 2,200.00
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I'm thinking about getting a cello box around $2,000. It looks like a nice box. Packs look well sealed, consistent folds. Tight. Is there a relatively good chance of pulling a Peyton? A box yields 432 cards. But its a 528 card set. Anyone have experience opening a box? I can sometimes jump into things without enough information, but want to get a good feel for this before pulling the trigger. >>

Payton
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just curious. Why would a wax pack increase the odds? >>

Not just sequencing, but with wax the cards are much more likely to come out of the pack
    with sharp corners, too. Cello packs from 1974-1979 were wrapped very tightly and you
    are lucky to pull a couple of cards from a cello pack that aren't dinged due to tight wrapping of
    cello itself.