Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whats your favorite pack/box to rip?

I have only been back at collecting cards since around the first of the year. I like to rip boxes back from when I was a kid like late 80's early 90's stuff. I was curious to see what others like to rip. I also have been in some of the group rips and enjoyed opening some of the late 70's early 80's stuff. I cant nail down a favorite yet but what about you guys?

Comments

• Options
    1985 topps baseball
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1909 t-206
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Afternoon,

Easy...1985 Topps Football Black bordered Beauties, I've ripped Hundreds of Boxes in the last 10 years...........................One day that GEM MINT 10 Payton will happen !!!!image

Yeehahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    While I have rip a 58 football pack and a 59 baseball pack in the last year, my favorite rip has to be the 75 minis. They are a fun rip and they are somewhat affordable.
    Although the 83 topps set has a special place in my heart since that was the first year I started collecting.
  • Options
    1963 Fleer and 1985 Topps Baseball & Football
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Best excitement for your dollar are:

1989 Pro Set Football series 2: absolutely loaded with HOF rookies and stars, and the unpredictable collation only adds to the enjoyment.

1991 Wild Card Football boxes: pulling a 1000 stripe of anybody or a 50 to 100 stripe of a star is a real thrill.
  • Options

<< <i>1909 t-206 >>

ugha bughu you rip T209 packs ugha pack bugha do ya ?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Hostess Ding Dongs. image
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hostess Ding Dongs. image >>

No love for Twinkies. I wish I had been thinking and bought a bunch.
  • Options

<< <i>1909 t-206 >>

I feel ya Playa
  • Options

<< <i>Afternoon,

Easy...1985 Topps Football Black bordered Beauties, I've ripped Hundreds of Boxes in the last 10 years...........................One day that GEM MINT 10 Payton will happen !!!!image

Yeehahimage

Neilimage >>

I have never opened one of those packs. I do have a nice set I got from someone here that was nicely centered cards. I remember opening 86 Football and after. I have always liked those 85's though. Nice choice.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1987 Donruss -

Cheaper now than when originally sold. Great design, RC's, HOF's sensitive borders, Clemente Puzzle. What's not to love?

I will admit the last few boxes I ripped I got a bit bored.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>1987 Donruss -

Cheaper now than when originally sold. Great design, RC's, HOF's sensitive borders, Clemente Puzzle. What's not to love?

I will admit the last few boxes I ripped I got a bit bored. >>

I actually have a box of those on my list I gave my wife for Christmas. She asked me where she could order me some boxes so I have made a list and told her how to order from BBCE. I made a decent list so she could still pick up a few and suprise me.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    of course when i was a kid it was 59 topps.now i enjoy 84 donruss baseball and 84 topps football.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    1990 Leaf Series II

James
  • Options
    Good thread.

I have a few that I have enjoyed

1989 Topps BB - Nostalgic reasons
    1989 Upperdeck
    1992 Bowman - Ive ripped 2 of those boxes and those are pretty fun
  • Options
    I would have to go with 1987 Donruss and Topps as well, mostly because it's the best I can afford at this point. I think if I had more money to burn, it would be 1985 Fleer and Donruss. As with 1987, those sets are loaded with great HOF's and RC's.
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    1981 and 1986 Topps football. I'd throw in 1984 but I dont get that many hits. It could also be a Bay Area thing. (Where I am from)
  • Options

<< <i>Good thread.

I have a few that I have enjoyed

1989 Topps BB - Nostalgic reasons
    1989 Upperdeck
    1992 Bowman - Ive ripped 2 of those boxes and those are pretty fun >>

I ripped a box of 89 UD a while back and it was a fun box. I havent opened 92 Bowman since back in 92 I guess they were a hot item back then. As for the 89 Topps I opened a ton of them back in the day and I would probably do it again if I saw a box for 5 bucks or so.
  • Options
    81 and 86 topps football for me
    I get giddy for ripping 75 topps baseball but it always leaves me angry and depressed due to cost vs. reward, but yet I still do it.

86 topps baseball is my guilty pleasure as its the first year I was active in the hobby.
  • Options

<< <i>I would have to go with 1987 Donruss and Topps as well, mostly because it's the best I can afford at this point. I think if I had more money to burn, it would be 1985 Fleer and Donruss. As with 1987, those sets are loaded with great HOF's and RC's. >>

I loved 87 Topps and I would say its one of my favorite designs. I plan on getting an 87 Donruss box sometime. I dont think I have ever opened a pack of them for some reason.
  • Options

<< <i>81 and 86 topps football for me
    I get giddy for ripping 75 topps baseball but it always leaves me angry and depressed due to cost vs. reward, but yet I still do it.

86 topps baseball is my guilty pleasure as its the first year I was active in the hobby. >>

Yea, Im not brave enough to rip some of that stuff. Especially when it gets pricey per pack. When I buy some of these older packs I have a real hard time not opening them.
  • Options
    Though very hard to find now, 79 Topps Football is my favorite. It was my first year buying cards as a kid, so the nostalgia is huge for me, plus, I just love the design of the cards. They Payton, Dorsett and Staubach are 3 of my all-time favorite cards.

I also love a good box of 89 Score football, and a box of 87 Donruss baseball. 87 Donruss is such a great looking set.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    85 Topps Football
    93 Score and Score Select baseball
    Topps Heritage any year
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    86 topps football or 84 Donruss baseball
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    1995 Bowman's Best Baseball
  • Options

<< <i>86 topps football or 84 Donruss baseball >>

I would love 84 Donruss as well if I got anything other than commons. That stuff is tough to pull anything out of. Great looking cards though.
  • Options
    85, 86 and 87 topps baseball are the most fun for me.
    Also 87 Donruss
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    1952 Topps Baseball 5 cent packs. Since I can't find any I can afford, I leave everything else unopened. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    1909 t-206

I have an unopened rack case of the T-206. Not from BBCE. I bought off Ebay from some guy selling his great grandfathers collection. It has a Cobb back showing and it has a Snodgrass showing on the front. I'm pretty sure the sequencing of the Snodgrass indicates a strong probability of a Wagner being inside. Just so I knew it was authetic, it came with a puch of tobacco on the side. PM me if interestedimage
  • Options
    For baseball my vote is 1985 Topps and 1986 Topps and Donruss. They are blast to rip and very cheap. 1980 Topps and 1983 topps are also awesome for ripping. Nothing too expensive or terribly difficult to replace if you want one sealed for the collection.

For basketball I love 88-89 Fleer but these aren't as common as they used to be and are close to $500 a box. Great RCs and some awesome looking cards at a fraction of the 86's and 87s.

Football would have to vote 86 Topps since its the only football I ever ripped.

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    1983 Fleer Baseball....This was right when I started getting heavy into cards as a 10 year old and it had pictures on the reverse of the card as well, which was a 1st. Good times! 84 Topps Baseball is a close 2nd with 89 Pro Set Series 2 coming in show.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    ex-girlfriend's
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    '81 Topps baseball for me. It was the last year I bought packs as a kid. I can rip those all day. I love taking the mint examples from the packs and upgrading my raw set. I give the extras to my 6 and 7 year old boys who have a blast with them. Others I enjoy are '83 and '87 Topps baseball. I plan on trying '85 Topps baseball soon and building a raw set.
  • Options
    I am glad I started this topic. Its nice to see what others enjoy opening the most. I look forward to more replies.
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    my favorite to rip is 1971 opc baseball still hard to find and also 1975 topps baseball im a big sucker for those..