Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Holy Grail in hand!

There are cards you think you'll never get and then someone finds a hoard of them. There have been a few of these recently on Ebay but I was outbid on the first one and didn't like the condition of the last two. This one, however, I am happy with and I picked it up for less than half of my bid on the original one.

imageimage

Very happy with this card.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, welcome!!!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    Will the Aqueous stamp always be in the same place on this card? I am interested in picking up some Aqueous Cardinals cards but it seems like they would be easy to fake. Any helpful advice on what to look out for would be appreciated.

Nice pick up on the Ozzie!!!
  • Options
    How rare are these cards? Any idea of amount produced?
  • Options
    Mozzie22Mozzie22 Posts: 38 ✭✭✭
    The placement of the Aqueous will vary little from player to player but ever Ozzie will look identical if that makes sense. This isn't stamped on the card but rather printed as it is part of the card. Here is a link to another forum and most of the questions are answered.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/threads/111855-Help-90-donruss-aqueous?highlight=aqueous

The production numbers aren't known but the general consensus is that no more than 10 of each player (if not less) exist. It's one of those cards that if you are a player collector you'll probably be familiar with these cards and if not you've probably never heard of them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Love that Ozzie card man!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    until recently the Aqueous cards were very rare. Recently a hoard of packs were unearthed, obviously resulting in a soaring 'population'. For a good 10 years or so I had the only Butler. A few months ago a 2nd one showed up - the #1 guy on the registry (bobsbbcards) grabbed it for his set. Since then, two more have shown up - one resides in my collection and the other will be here any day.

now, back to the rarity - most player collections really would say that they are extremely rare. Well, except for the Robby Thompson collector. He was able to come up with a whopping NINE of them - long before most others were able to get one at all.

• Options

<< <i>Will the Aqueous stamp always be in the same place on this card? I am interested in picking up some Aqueous Cardinals cards but it seems like they would be easy to fake. Any helpful advice on what to look out for would be appreciated.

Nice pick up on the Ozzie!!! >>

TMK the only difference besides "Aqueous Test" being printed on the cards is that on the regular issue there is a period after "1989 Leaf INC."
    On the Aqueous issue that period is missing.

There were no known Mattingly's until the recent LangesSports find. By my count, six of them sold all which came directly from Langes, or from people who bought packs from them.
    One of these now resides in my collection.image

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have chosen wisely
    Drink!!!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was yours the last one from langessports or the last one from yongil? I just got mine recently for my Cardinals team set collection. Mine was the first one sold by yongil. By my count, there have been 5 Ozzie Smiths sold in the last few months. The first one went for $587. I got outbid by $10 officially, but I spoke with the man that won it and he actually bid over $1,000 for it. I am glad now that I got outbid because I got mine for $331.

What is kind of strange is the fact that the fifth card sold for more than the fourth card. The second one sold was in VG condition and I got outbid by $10 on it as well. I'm a very glad because I got a very nice one much cheaper.

Here is the breakdown.

#1 - $587+ (langessports)

#2 - $382+ (VG; langessports)

#3 - $331+ (yongil) (this is the one I bought)

#4 - $137+ (yongil)

#5 - $227+ (langessports)

By the way, the Ozzie finished by team set.

Shane

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of these. Can anyone give us any background info? It it only 1990 Donruss? What does Aqueous mean?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i>Was yours the last one from langessports or the last one from yongil? I just got mine recently for my Cardinals team set collection. Mine was the first one sold by yongil. By my count, there have been 5 Ozzie Smiths sold in the last few months. The first one went for $587. I got outbid by $10 officially, but I spoke with the man that won it and he actually bid over $1,000 for it. I am glad now that I got outbid because I got mine for $331.

What is kind of strange is the fact that the fifth card sold for more than the fourth card. The second one sold was in VG condition and I got outbid by $10 on it as well. I'm a very glad because I got a very nice one much cheaper.

Here is the breakdown.

#4 - $137+ (yongil)

By the way, the Ozzie finished by team set. >>

Mine was #5. I was outbid on 1 and 2. Took the chance that there would be more so I held out on #3, and I simply didn't see #4. All that being said, #1 and #5 were the nicest conditions so I was very happy to pay what I did for #5.

Congrats on the team set. There can't be too many people with an Aqueous Ozzie and a Topps Heads Up test Ozzie... other than us!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Was yours the last one from langessports or the last one from yongil? I just got mine recently for my Cardinals team set collection. Mine was the first one sold by yongil. By my count, there have been 5 Ozzie Smiths sold in the last few months. The first one went for $587. I got outbid by $10 officially, but I spoke with the man that won it and he actually bid over $1,000 for it. I am glad now that I got outbid because I got mine for $331.

Here is the breakdown.

#4 - $137+ (yongil)

Mine was #5. I was outbid on 1 and 2. Took the chance that there would be more so I held out on #3, and I simply didn't see #4. All that being said, #1 and #5 were the nicest conditions so I was very happy to pay what I did for #5.

Congrats on the team set. There can't be too many people with an Aqueous Ozzie and a Topps Heads Up test Ozzie... other than us!image >>

I totally forgot that I got my 1989 Topps Heads Up Ozzie Smith from you. I take it that you found another one? How did you manage that? Those are tough! I'm sure glad you were willing to make that trade!

You are right - there can't be too many people that have both of those!

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Here is the breakdown.

#4 - $137+ (yongil)

Congrats on the team set. There can't be too many people with an Aqueous Ozzie and a Topps Heads Up test Ozzie... other than us!image >>

I totally forgot that I got my 1989 Topps Heads Up Ozzie Smith from you. I take it that you found another one? How did you manage that? Those are tough! I'm sure glad you were willing to make that trade!

You are right - there can't be too many people that have both of those! >>

Glad you're happy with the Topps Heads Up. I didn't have to find another one, you ended up with my duplicate. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Here is the breakdown.

#4 - $137+ (yongil)

You are right - there can't be too many people that have both of those! >>

Glad you're happy with the Topps Heads Up. I didn't have to find another one, you ended up with my duplicate. image >>

Soooo, that explains it!!! I kept thinking that you were either crazy for trading it or you just were not very serious about your Ozzie collection. Now that you tell me you actually had two of them explains why you were willing to trade it! That is one tough piece to find. I have not found another since then either.

Shane