Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$1,400 - 3 Options - Choose 1 - Which Would You Pick?

1 - Michael Jordan 86-87 Fleer Rookie - PSA 9

2 - Nolan Ryan 1968 Topps Rookie - PSA 8

3 - Derek Jeter 1993 SP - PSA 9

Ive always wanted The Nolan Ryan Rookie in a PSA 8. I think it could be a highlight in anyways collection. And although I dont collect Basketball, this card and the player on it cannot be ignored. Derek Jeters rookie and been going through the roof within the last year and the fact that the sealed boxes they can be found in might come damged due to possibly all the gloss, 9's might start becoming harder to pull.

I'm personally leaning towards the Jeter for investment purposes for my case but I would still love to have all 3 (which I cant afford) Which would you guys choose?

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    2 - 1 - 3
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    99 times out of 100 I would pick the vintage baseball card in this type of scenario.... but the Ryan RC is a multi-player card and is from a set with an incredibly boring design on top of that. Out of the three options you have presented, I'd buy a Jordan.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Jeter shouldn't even be in the same grouping.....IMO
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-2-3
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nolan Ryan
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Someone just paid $10k for McJordan BBQ Sauce...and industrial jug of Mcdonald's BBQ Sauce that said "McJordan" on it... seriously, I think its safe to say anything Jordan is an incredibly safe investment.

I would say for potential increase in value: MJ, Jeter, Ryan. The Ryan is an amazing card though and is a must for the personal collection.
  • Options

<< <i>2 - 1 - 3 >>

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    For investment: 132

For me personally, #2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    if investment, go with T206 instead
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan rookie all the way. I don't collect basketball and Jeter is too modern.
    Daniel
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    When it's time for the Jeter, go with a BGS that has all 9 subs with even a 9.5. It will look as good as the PSA 9's or better, stand a healthy chance of crossing over, and cost you a grand less. I cannot for the life of me understand the price difference there but it's one to exploit for sure.

In terms of building an impressive collection I would put a Ryan RC as a must-have, especially if the collection is predominantly baseball. Make it a centered one for sure. Of course in time you will get the Jordan too. I also went with BGS for Jordan, because centering is what separates the best examples of that card from the rest, and you can have a 9.5 or even Pristine 10 centered one, which quantifies the centering right there. I've seen soooooo many tilted PSA 9s it is shocking. The way it is designed, centering on the Jordan just hits your eye right off the bat.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Does the Jeter come with a gift basket?

If not, then 2 1 3
  • Options
    Jeter, Jordan Ryan.

I think getting a Jeter now has the best potential for growth as he is still in the game and somewhere down the road he will get into the Hall. The other two are done and accomplished. Their value may have reached its peak. The only thing that may give these cards another boost is a movie or their death.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    1-3-2
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2 - 1 - 3 >>

image >>

me too
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I go 1-3-2 as well. Can't go wrong with Jordan. People all over the world collect him.
    Jeter is still playing and something can still happen to bring down the price of his card.
    I would have a nice Mantle card in there instead of Ryan and it would still be my third choice.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    I think getting a Jeter now has the best potential for growth as he is still in the game and somewhere down the road he will get into the Hall. The other two are done and accomplished. Their value may have reached its peak. The only thing that may give these cards another boost is a movie or their death.

I agree with everything said except that it has reached its peak. Jordan and Nolan will always climb but the Jordan with eventually past the Nolan to the point that to pick either or - in terms of invenstment wont even be a question.

Jeter is the smartest pick right now out of all 3 and for these reasons I feel.

He's popular and everyone respects him, He's a good looking guy, and the last reason - just because he plays from New York and has been a Yankee his whole carreer and will retire a Yankee.

SMR has a 9 listed at $470 in July. Now its past $900 and theyre selling on ebay well over 1,100. A gem has doubled in price also since July from $6,000 now to $15,000. This price will increse every year the longer he goes and then once he retires - he will sky rocket again. Then when he makes the Hall he will go up again. Im sure He will be a manager and he will go up again. This man can do no wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>SMR has a 9 listed at $470 in July. Now its past $900 and theyre selling on ebay well over 1,100. A gem has doubled in price also since July from $6,000 now to $15,000. This price will increse every year the longer he goes and then once he retires - he will sky rocket again. Then when he makes the Hall he will go up again. Im sure He will be a manager and he will go up again. This man can do no wrong. >>

So what happened to cause the cards to more than double in three months? If a .300 average and 15 homeruns this year is all it takes to see such a huge spike, why wasn't everyone buying them a year ago in anticipation of a typical year from Jeter?
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems odd the price on the Gem Mint has gone down. Not sure how they came up with this price if the card has sold for $24,450 and $37,000 this year.

Card Number
    Description
    NM-MT 8
    MT 9
    GEM-MT 10

273 Johnny Damon (R) 18- 60- 375
    279 Derek Jeter Foil (R) 115+ 900+ 11000-
    280 Chipper Jones 8 35+ 300+
    285 Manny Ramirez 8 24+ 175+
    Complete Set (290)
    Loading…

Notes about 1993 SP A PSA Gem Mint 10 #279 Jeter sold for $24,450 and $37,000 in 2012

• Options
    So what happened to cause the cards to more than double in three months? If a .300 average and 15 homeruns this year is all it takes to see such a huge spike, why wasn't everyone buying them a year ago in anticipation of a typical year from Jeter?

Its simple - Jeter has had the best season since 2009. That and this year alone he has passed about 6 people on the all-time hit list.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryan!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    How much did the card increase at the end of 2009? He was one of the very best players in the league that year, despite being better than 2010-11, he was not among the very best. Most of us were highly confident he would keep moving up on the all-time hit list at a rapid rate (he actually passed nine players). Very few of us had any confidence his rookie card would increase this much
  • Options
    2-3-1

all three if you can -

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    nolan,jeter,jordon
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Bobby. Jeter shouldn't even be in this group. I'd go Jordan than Nolan.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nolan,jeter,jordon >>

very disrespectful spelling j/k
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan. And throw in a bench with it
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    i also go with 2 - 1 - 3
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Personally I would choose the Ryan. Great classic card. Won't go up much if at all, but what a damned classic card
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ryan all day!!!
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I think you ought to consider 3500 1990 Topps Frank Thomas rookies, BUT if we have to stick to the choices mentioned, I like the Jeter for resale value in the next few years or the Jordan longer term.
  • Options
    2 - 1- 3

Always bias towards baseball.
    I agree with some of the others, Jeter shouldn't be included in this.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordan
    Ryan
    Jeter
  • Options
    I'd buy 70's unopened & rip it all. Tremendous investment potential
  • Options
    hands down the 86 fleer jordan . who cares if its not rare everybody wants it and to find a centered one is pretty rare. Most PSA 10's are off center and the 9's lets just most of them look terrable