Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will Pete Rose ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame? * POLL *

Could you imagine the onslaught of Pete Rose cards if he was ever inducted into the Hall of Fame. They're be a Pete Rose something card in every pack!
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in his lifetime at least. That window has closed..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will eventually get in with time.

It is of my opinion that everyone should PLAY like Pete Rose. He played every minute of the game hard with a passion for the game, and always hustled. I can't stand players who don't always run hard, no matter the play.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm far from a Pete Rose fan - couldn't stand him when I was a yute in the '70s, and think even less of him now. Having said that, based on his accomplishments as a player he absolutely belongs in the Hall right now. His despicable actions as a manager should not reflect on what he did as a player.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I predict that he will be reinstated within a few months after his death. And he will be elected to the HOF with a 80% vote on the first ballot that he is eligible (assuming that he is still eligible to be voted upon). Otherwise he goes in via Vets Committee.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Joe Jackson has been deceased for decades and kept out of the HOF for far LESS provable evidence.

Without a doubt Rose is one if the all-time greats, but IMO his gambling activity is likely to keep him out of the HOF forever.

Dave
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Never while he is alive and he will probably never get in. He will be the new era's Shoeless Joe.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭
    ain't happening ..dead or alive

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to hope so as he deserves to be in more than the many of those are ready in.

aconte
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    The way he has been treated, it is as if he was betting against his own team - something I agree should ban a guy for life. But from all reports I have heard, he only bet ON his team. I don't see how that offense deserves a lifetime ban.
  • Options
    Yes...after he dies.
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    betting against your team or betting on your team is the same thing....think about it. if Pete had 20k riding on a Red's win, he pull all stops to win that game that normally a manager would not do= starting players that are in need of a rest, puting in a starter later in the game, putting in a closer too early, etc. It's still not on the up and up...just saying...
  • Options
    Whether he does or not does not change what he did when he was on the field

Unlike someone like Jeff Bagwell everyone knows his failure to be in the Hall-of-Fame has nothing to do with his talent or success

To me it really doesn't matter, but I would bet against it
  • Options
    Other than suspicion by guys on the internet, there is so far no real evidence Bagwell used steroids, despite drug testing, Congressional hearings and a two year investigation. So failure to vote for him would be based on his perceived inabilities on the field. Same with Tim Raines or Dwight Evans or Scott Brosius. For Pete Rose his failure to make the Hall-of-Fame is far different. So unlike Bagwell or Raines it doesn't mean much to me
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Joe Jackson has been deceased for decades and kept out of the HOF for far LESS provable evidence.

Without a doubt Rose is one if the all-time greats, but IMO his gambling activity is likely to keep him out of the HOF forever. >>

Spot on. Not a prayer, dead or alive.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The way he has been treated, it is as if he was betting against his own team - something I agree should ban a guy for life. But from all reports I have heard, he only bet ON his team. I don't see how that offense deserves a lifetime ban. >>

And Joe Jackson hit better than .340 in the WS and was still accused of trying to throw it.

Whether he bet only on his own team is immaterial. His gambling behaviors would be effectively providing inside information in a way that undermines the integrity
    of the game. That's why IMO Rose can never be allowed in. If baseball is serious about keeping its integrity then there can never be an avenue available whereby
    someone who violates the rules has a way back.

Dave
  • Options
    not getting in ever...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    It's really up to the Hall to determine if Rose (or Jackson for that matter) are Hall eligible. The Hall is a separate entity from MLB. The Hall has a policy that prevents players on the MLB banned list from being enshrined into their museum. Secondly he is no longer on the BBWAA HOF ballot - he would have to be elected by the veterans committee if (huge IF) the Hall ever lifted the ineligible for HOF if banned from MLB policy. I don't think he will ever have a plaque in the HOF - because I don't think MLB will ever lift his name of the banned list and the Hall will never lift their MLB banned HOF eligibility policy.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's really up to the Hall to determine if Rose (or Jackson for that matter) are Hall eligible. The Hall is a separate entity from MLB. The Hall has a policy that prevents players on the MLB banned list from being enshrined into their museum. Secondly he is no longer on the BBWAA HOF ballot - he would have to be elected by the veterans committee if (huge IF) the Hall ever lifted the ineligible for HOF if banned from MLB policy. I don't think he will ever have a plaque in the HOF - because I don't think MLB will ever lift his name of the banned list and the Hall will never lift their MLB banned HOF eligibility policy. >>

A year after he dies, he will be inducted.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    How can the all-time leader in hits be denied a place in the hall? Would a rich guys hall of fame be complete without Bill Gates or Warren Buffett?
  • Options

<< <i>How can the all-time leader in hits be denied a place in the hall? Would a rich guys hall of fame be complete without Bill Gates or Warren Buffett? >>

What about Bernie Madoff?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Maybe around the year 2047.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    never
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Pete Rose turned himself into major league baseball.

He had so much gambling debts, even after selling off his trophies and rings that his life was being threatened.

So he agreed to a "Lifetime Ban" in exchange for MLB's protection.

No, Pete Rose should not be allowed into the Hall of Fame unless he buys a ticket.

He deserves enshrinement in my opinion, but only after he's gone.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What about Bernie Madoff? >>

He ain't so rich anymore, but that was a good retort. image
  • Options

<< <i> There are prominent players who used that didn't trigger testing positive or come under Congressional hearings or pop up on an investigation. Ever hear of ARod, McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, etc. >>

Having heard of those four players, Rodriguez peed hot, McGwire and Clemens were named in the investigation and didn't come across as innocent in front of Congress; Bonds had an entire book devoted to what he did

<< <i> I would literally bet my entire net worth if I could that he did. >>

How would the bet be settled?
  • Options

<< <i> We all know that there were plenty of users that escaped being caught, and will probably never be exposed. >>

We also know some of them will be in the Hall-of-Fame
  • Options
    NEVER
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Rose never gets in. But u never know. Times change. A more liberal crowd could run baseball and change the rules.

If he does eventually get in...if.....then I hope they do it in his lifetime. It's a crime that Santo went before his election.

I hope Bags get in also. Speculation is just that....proof is another thing.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    That famous line from the movie "A Few Good Men" from Tom Cruise comes to mind............................................It doesn't matter what I know; it only matters what I can prove!"

Then later in that same flick - not sure if this applies better to the fans or the front offices of MLB - when good ole Jack Nickelson blurts out..............."You can't handle the truth!"
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once Bonds get in, and he will get in, there will be a movement to get Rose in. Time heals all wounds and Rose as a player deserves to get in.
    Mike
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will not get in, should not get in.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Here is my take. I grew up with Pete Rose as my hero. I idolized everything about him.....his dedication, his hustle, his will to win. I think he is the greatest player in the history of the game....again, just my opinion. For the longest time, I was pissed with the ban and thought he should be in because of his stats and what he did for the game.

Now, I would never in a million years believe that Pete ever bet on the Reds to lose. To win, yes but not to lose. So some people would say, whats the big deal with that. There are two issues:

1) Point spread. Could this have caused him to alter the way he managed? Maybe.
    2.) More importantly.......he was dealing with bookies and probably organized crime. Let's say he goes on a losing streak and he's down $1M. Fat Tony pays Pete a visit and says, either you throw the next 3 games or we are going to break your legs and kill your family. What is Pete going to do????

The point is, Pete knew there was one golden rule. Don't bet on baseball and he dis-regarded it. He needed to be made an example of. You cannot give organized crime a chance to get you behind the eight ball because it will ruin the game. Non-negotiable.

He should never be allowed in the Hall for this reason. If they would do it to the "Hit King", they will ban anyone.

Do I think he would be a great ambassador for MLB? Absolutly and that the shame of it.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope that he will. but I doubt it will happen. He needed to come clean early on. I think had he done that he would have been allowed in. Real Shame.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Ah, but he's making up for lost time!

I'm sorry I bet on baseball!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great ball. Always looked up to him growing up as far as always giving it all out on the field.
  • Options
    IMO, He was one of the greatest players ever to play the game, but he broke a cardinal rule (or in this case a red's rule) so NO, he should never be allowed in the Hall.

As for Bagwell, I beleive he will make it this year for a couple of reasons.

#1) As many of you pointed out, there is no real proof he used, but there is no real proof Bonds, Clemens & McGwire used either. So it comes down to what the voters beleive, and because of past events, Bagwell appears less guilty in the voters eyes. How I back that up is just look at HOF voting.
    Bagwell's first year of eligibility, 2011, he received 242 votes (41.7%) compared to McGwire's first year, 2010, when he received 128 (23.7%).
    In McGwire" next two years, he has gone down on total votes each year. But in Bagwell's second year, he went up & received 321 votes (56%). Also, comparing Bagwell's total votes to some other HOFers, there are many that did not get near that many votes their first year of eligibility.
    Just to name a few: Blyleven 83 votes (17.5%) / Gossage 166 votes (33.3%) / Sutter 109 votes (23.9%) / Rice 137 votes (29.8%)
    So I still think Bagwell will get in, and what better year than this coming year. It would be great for the city of Houston if both Bagwell and Biggio went in the same year!!

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    right after Shoeless Joe goes in.......
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    just remembered something from football....didn't some of the players years ago also get caught gambling and if I remember correctly one of them is in the hof....

al.
  • Options
    Didn't Paul Hornung get suspended for a year for gambling? Isn't he in the HOF?

Different sport though, obviously. Baseball has always had a strict standard on gambling.

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    It is sad that one of my top 5 favorite players will never get in the Hall. However he truly brought all of this on himself.

This will never change the fact that he played the game the right way.

Actions have consequences.

Robert
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Shoe has to get in first then I agree Pete has to go in.Shoe was illiterate and pushed into it.Pete paid his price.Others did it but did not get caught.

Joe and Pete get my vote.!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)