Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identify the Egyptian Gold Coins on this 22k Bracelet

Hi Guys-

I tried on a bracelet that a friend I know may scrap soon for its gold content (over $2,600 USD). The Bracelet is probably mid-1800's and 22k gold. The clasp is neat, it holds the bracelet together with a gold pin.

Can anybody identify the coins? Are they worth any more than the melt price of their gold content?

Sorry for the fuzzy iphone pics

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Can you show a pic of the other side of the coins?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    There are a number of silver Qirsh (see KM# 292, 293 and 295) that seem to match your bracelet. The golds all have different designs. More likely these are gold-plated silvers?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    That is exactly what I thought, then I found ones online (apparently not listed in Krause) that are mid - 1800's 50 Quirsh Gold coins that look simular to them. The coins were tested as around 22k with an electronic gold tester...
  • Options
    Sounds like a match! If they tested then they are likely. Condition hard to say from these pics, but a lot of jewelry gets cleaned. That's the only thing I can think of that would affect value - aside from the mountings damage of course. Based on all that, no idea what they could be worth.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    These are Turkish 25 or 50 Kurush of Mohammed V(1909-1918), KM#752 or 753. Note the 'reshat' to the right of the toughra. Regnal year 4 is visible on a couple of the coins, dating them 1911.
  • Options
    Looks more like El Ghazi than Reshat - but great call on Turkey! Amazing how similar the design is to the Egypt Qirsh.

Similar name, too (Qirsh vs Kurush) ... I wonder if they share a common ancestor? Like the words "cent" ... "penny" ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Both Turkey and Egypt , amongst others belonged to the Ottoman empire (1299-1923)
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    I knew it! image I had a feeling. I knew Turkey was the hub of the O.E. but couldn't remember if Egypt was included. Thanks, Andres!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    If I get a shot at them I will buy one and post pictures - I really have no idea what they are worth over gold (if anything)

• Options
    Most of the Turkish coins I've dealt are coppers, so I'm not sure what the market is for these specific types. But I believe there is a strong market in general for Ottoman Empire and would be surprised if you could not find history in Heritage Auctions' archives. Their archive search feature can be difficult sometimes if you don't know how to wield it, but effective image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE