Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which is the most unbreakable baseball record?

I'm going with Cy Young's 511 wins. Pitchers just don't get enough starts. A pitcher would have to never miss a start, start 32 games per year for 16 years and WIN EVERY GAME to break the record!
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    You forgot Ted Williams last to bat over. 400
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    My vot however is Cy Youngs 511 wins
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>You forgot Ted Williams last to bat over. 400 >>

Hey, never mind adding more choices. Six choices is enough. You should concentrate on cornering the OPC market when you head north later this month! LOL. GOOD LUCK.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Lol! Im working on it. Will keep everyone posted image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    From a mathematical standpoint, it is almost impossible for Cy Young's record to be broken. Next on the list would be Nolan Ryan's strikeout record. These are a combination of skill, endurance and a different pitching rotation that does not allow for today's pitchers to even come close.

The rest are a combination of skill, endurance and luck that if the circumstances allow, any one of them can be broken.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    Dimaggio hit in 56 straight games and couldn't hit. 400 image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    .400 is not a record. Other guys have done it. Though, it will be tough for someone to do it again. Cy Young's record without a doubt is the toughest, but I also think Ty Cobb's career batting average record of .366 is nearly as impossible. Considering the current hightest active career batting average is Albert Pujols at .326. His highest season is .359. He could not even equal Cobb's career average in one season.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    511 wins, definitely, which is truly impossible. A 56-game hitting streak is not impossible (theoretically, at least) and Rose almost got there in '78..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    All those are tough but could be challanged some-what with out breaking
    BUT Sam Crawfords 309 triples,, nobody will ever get not even half ways there
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Vander Meers back to back no hitters are tough to break since a pitcher would need to throw 3 no hitters in a row.
    Pitching 3 complete games in a row is a helluva feat these days let alone having them all be no hitters.
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    I concur with the Cy Young wins record. These days, a pitcher would likely have to go about 16 injury free seasons before they even got 511 starts. An amazing record, for sure.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Putting aside the mathematically-impossible-to-break records (e.g., season fielding percentage for 1B or OF is already at a record of 1.000), I'll go with
    single inning: most grand slams in an inning (record is 2, by Fernando Tatis)
    single game: most innings pitched in a game (record is 26, by Leon Cadore and Joe Oeschger)
    season: most innings pitched (record is 464, by Ed Walsh)
    career: most complete games (record is 749, by Cy Young)

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    RIPKEN has to be in this conversation somewhere?
  • Options

<< <i>RIPKEN has to be in this conversation somewhere? >>

He's choice #4 in the poll.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭
    Rennie Stennett went 7 for 7 in a 9 inning game....all singles. Can anyone go 8 for 8?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rennie Stennett went 7 for 7 in a 9 inning game....all singles. >>

He had 4 singles, 2 doubles, and a triple. I should be on Mythbusters.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected. He did have some doubles.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Cy Young, and then Cal.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Nobody is going to break Cy Young's 511 Wins. Heck outside of CC Sabathia and Roy Halladay nobody has a shot at 300 wins. There may never be another 300 game winner. I believe somebody will do back to back no-hitters. Bonds 73 Homers will never be broken either. Everything on the list won't be broken except for the back to back no hitters.

Chesboro's 41 wins and Hack Wilson's 191 RBIs will never broken. Complete games, shutouts, triples will never be touched. Henderson's stolen base record will never be broken.
  • Options

<< <i>Everything on the list won't be broken except for the back to back no hitters. >>

So you think someone will eventually throw Back-To-Back-To-Back no hitters?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Didn't people think Gehrig's record was once untouchable (the 2,130 consecutive games)?

-I'll go out on a limb and say it's possible to catch Ryans strikeout record, or get 375-400 wins.

Reason being, look at a guy like Randy Johnson. He got to 4,800 strikeouts. If you have a pitcher with a unique advantage like that (height), or some other factor like Greg Maddux's genius of control, I don't think its beyond possibility to get to 5,000 strikeouts or a lot of wins.

Maddux got to 355 wins in an era that didn't favor the starting pitcher. What would he have done in the 50's, 60's, or earlier?

-Any of the single season records are possible. Look at Ichiro breaking the single season hits record. I don't think anyone would have predicted that.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Thirty years ago I remember reading an article in a major sports publication that said that there would never be another 300 game winner because pitchers were making so much money that they would retire in their mid thirties and not push themselves long enough to reach 300. Since then we've had quite a number of them. So, to say there will never be another is not likely to be the case. I think Cy Young's win record is unreachable. But, the game does change. Who is to say that there won't be some change that will allow pitchers to pick up 30 wins in a season routinely, like in the days of Cy Young?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    In order (most unbreakable first):

Cy Young's 511 wins
    Nolan Ryan's 5,714 strikeouts
    Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games played
    Ty Cobb's .367 lifetime batting average
    Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak
    Johnny Vander Meer's consecutive no-hitters
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    How about single season batting average of .440 by Hugh Duffy.

Hard enough to hit .400, try .440.

Only 6 players have hit over .375 since the 40's.

Tony Gwynn hit .394 in 1994, only missed it by a small 46%.

Like the dif. between a .300 hitter and a guy hitting .254.

I don't see that one being broken either.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    Jack Chesbro's 41 wins in a season.

Will never be broke, pitchers only pitch 32-36 games these days.

Dave