Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Ipad 3 experiences and buying

Hey guys,

I don't frequent here as much, but I still lurk everywhere.....lol

Looking for Opinions on buying Ipad3 vs Ipad 2 (whats the real-life differences via experience)

I never owned any apple product since first Ipod....I want to have the Ipad buy August 22nd for various reasons: Doctorate school, Fantasy Football, running internet buisness, and maybe some sports bets. lol

So, any input and recommendation would be welcome., especially where I could get a discount.....

I just missed someone getting me the Apple Employee discount, and I have been waiting for by one since that time....

please help .,

richtree
richtree@gmail.com
Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got the 1 and the 3 (both wifi). Other than the camera, not a huge difference. The 3 seems better for netflix streaming, but all the other programs, games, apps, etc seem about the same. The 1 just keeps plugging along (and I bought it used from a board member here a couple of years ago!)
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Well the new one does have the retina display
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I have the 2 and love it. We have 7 different apple devices and only the older ipod, 2nd generation, hasnt held up to non-stop use. I will always have an Ipad laying around to randomly search the web. You just cant beat it.

I do still keep an updated dell laptop for one reason... Flash

I wish there was a true flash program for apple. Does anyone know the real reason why you cant get flash drive on ipad or iphones??

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    there are definitely some apps that won't work well on a 2 compared to the 3...also, the new IO6 will have limitations on 2 vs 3...just pony up the extra 100 bucks and get the latest and greatest
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    yeah, I have 400 in Ebay gift cards., so I am tempted to buy the 2....

then it becomes a question of 3 wifi vs. 3 with 4g verizon

debate continues., lol

Buying:
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>there are definitely some apps that won't work well on a 2 compared to the 3...also, the new IO6 will have limitations on 2 vs 3...just pony up the extra 100 bucks and get the latest and greatest >>

+1

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I am a tech junkie and bought a Motorola Xoom when it first came out and have had it updated to 4g and Ice Cream Sandwich. I am NOT an Apple person. We use it all the time on the couch, at the table, but almost NEVER use the 4g as wifi seems to be everywhere, so I pay $30 a month by contract for nothing.

Went to Aruba in May for our Anniversary and decided to bite the bullet and buy an Ipad so we could face time with our kids. Went with a 3 as I had to have the retina display and better camera. Skipped the 3g/4g and have not missed it.

Now, you cant pry the ipad from my fingers. The Xoom is relegated to wife and daughter duty. My one huge beef, and it was a reason I went Xoom in the first place, is no Flash support. I can not tell you how aggravating this is and remains so.Long term it will be phased out on tablets, but I don't go a day or two where I cant load a graphic, video, cart or something else. Other than that, it has become an essential device for me and I have a 4 PCs and 2 Laptops in the house, including killer gaming rigs.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    I had the iPad 2 for about six months then convinced sister and dad to join in and get mom 3 for mother's day. Then mom offered to switch with me because she didn't need retina display. It does make a difference especially for movies and reading. I don't use a computer anymore. Everything in iPad even eBay listings are easier.

On the cellular data - I only have wifi on my ipad3 but also have a iPhone 4 so didn't need cellular on iPad. You can get it but it's pricey and probably just better off hitting free wifi spots like at Starbucks.
    IMO
    iPad 3 worth the extra hundred
    Cellular network not worth the 119 extra plus 20-50 a month in data plan.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    thanks for feedback so far !
    Buying:
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I picked up the 16GB iPad 2 for $319 from the Apple Store refurbs (bottom of the left column on the Apple store. Although they go in and out of stock quickly, I felt better paying this than $499 for the 3 with the Retina display. I upgraded from an iPad 1 and it is a little "snappier" and a bit lighter. The 3 is a little heavier.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have a rotary phone in my basement..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know the real reason why you cant get flash drive on ipad or iphones??

Dave >>

Doesn't everyone? MONEY. Apple does not own flash.
  • Options
    yanyak5yanyak5 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    I work at Best Buy and more importantly I work in computers/tablets. I currently own the IPad 3.

iPad 3 vs. the iPad 2

iPad 3 has the retina display. Basically this means that there are tons of pixels on the screen that when held at normal reading length, the human eye can't see them (pixels). It does have a beautiful screen. Great for the person that is using it for picture editing etc.

The iPad 3 has a quad core graphics chip. They compare the graphics to the Xbox 360. It's ideal for the video gamer. The iPad 2 has a dual core chip in it.

The iPad 3 has a better mega pixel camera. 5 mega pixels compared to 2 mega pixels on the iPad 2. Great for taking pictures.

The iPad 3 can also shoot in 1080p where the iPad 2 shoots in 720p. Shooting movies and videos are nice on the iPad 3.

With the iPad 3, you can use 4G service compared to 3G service. These devices allow you to get internet anywhere you go. This would come in handy if you use Beckett online while at shows. It runs about 30-50$ a month depending on the carrier you choose (at&t or Verizon). AT&T can be used outside of the country while Verizon has a better USA laid out network.

Personally, if you are using it for sports cards I would go with the iPad 2. You still get a high resolution display on the iPad 2 and it is very comparable to an average computer screen. For the extra 100$ savings, the iPad 2 is stellar. If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.

Oh and for what it's worth, this post has been typed on the iPad 3

Edit to add:

For those concerned abut flash, the reason apple doesn't use flash is because it's an older technology. They didn't want to stick with old technology which is why they didn't include it in their apple products. However, if you would like to see flash on your iPad, there is a solution. Download an app called iswifter. They give you 10 min of viewing time for free every day or you can purchase the app for a couple bucks for unlimited use.
    Looking for an 8x10 auto photo of junior celebrating his 100 HR. lmk!
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Am I the only dinosaur who doesn't have an Ipad, Iphone, or Ipod, and just uses a desktop?
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001