Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

looking for info about 8 reales

Does anyone have any good links? I pick them up here and there I'd like to learn more about them.

I grabbed 2 the other day and one of them seems proof like ,I'm curious how rare that might be. Did some just come that way the way certain years of morgan dollars are known for it?

This one in particular is a 1894 G.O. R.S.

Comments

• Options
    Resplandores lists Go 1894 RS (Go77) as being common, and available in all grades. To my knowledge these coins weren't produced in proof, and were not produced in intentionally proof-like condition, but the surfaces may be especially mirror-like if the die was fresh and unused; you may have one of the first 8R's struck that year with that particular die?
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is very little on the web about Republic 8 Reales. There is a bit more in print, but nothing like say, Morgan dollars.

To me, that's what makes collecting this series so special. You learn as you go, making both mistakes and new discoveries.

PL 8Rs exist (as you have discovered), but from my experience come only in low uncirculated grades. So you may find a MS62PL
    or MS63PL, but generally nothing higher. They are not so popular for this reason. Collectors would rather a MS65 instead of a MS63PL.

Check the NGC pops for what is available in PL.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is AU and at first I thought it was polished but the mirror is only in the fields . Its clouded in the wide open areas by a little wear but its nicely mirrored between the rays where its very sheltered .

It has just a single chop mark that looks like a capital L or it might be a rectangle that didn't impress fully.

I have the Krause North america book which lists them but it would be nice to see something other than just mintages and price tables.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resplandores

A book by Mike Dunigan from Fort Worth Texas.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Is that a book that shows up on ebay? If I see one I'll try to grab it , whats a fair price if I have to bid on one ?

I tried a few pictures but I can't capture the mirror very well . I'm no expert on coin photography I take a lot of pictures for ebay but photos of used carburetors don't need to be very precise image

I decided to put it next the non prooflike to try to show it. Its just natural light with a handheld camera , the mirrors are intact in the most shielded areas .

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    By far the best reference book is "Resplandores" by Dunigan/Parker. The book is available from Mike Dunigan Rare Coins in Fort Worth Texas. I have not seen a used copy ever show up, but I broke down long ago and bought one so I haven't looked for a long time. There are many knowledgable collectors on this forum that are happy to answer your questions as well as on other forums. This is a fascinating area of collecting with lots of little varieties and some incredible rarities. As for the "PL" look on your coin, I am sorry, I don't see it. There are many, especially later date, coins that have sharp strikes and mirror like surfaces but I cannot imagine the mirror look being that pronounced on a circulated coin, if you have one...great find.
    If you have questions, post them here, we would love to try and help you find the answers.
  • Options

There is 1 new one on amazon for 209

resplandores new

and also 1 used copy for 499 ???

used

at the moment both are out of my price range image