Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Variety Attribution not attributed label - ATS

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
There are those who send in their coins to have the Variety attributed through the TPG of their choice, only to have not gained a favorable response through the service. I have had at least one that was denied the variety attribution, not even a "Minor Variety" mention on the label insert before, but with no reason given through our host until I called customer service to see what was going on.

I saw a label (body bag?) from ATS on a coin that stated the reason why it did not receive the variety attribution requested. The label is accompanied by a new holder, so it is possibly a new concept. I like the idea myself, I just don’t utilize the services from ATS.

I wonder if our host would give the same courtesy for the service requested rather than leaving doubt in the submitters mind if the variety attribution for the coin(s) submitted was inadvertently "overlooked" or otherwise does not qualify for the service.

What do you think about this service? image

Thank you for your interest.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm not following you. The owner paid for a variety that was not a variety and probably was refunded that variety fee. They just explained it was not a variety but strike doubling. I have never submitted to PCGS for a variety that was not a variety so I cannot comment with firsthand knowledge but suspect PCGS would explain the refund of the variety fee as well.

No?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bob,

I sent in a 1892-O Barber Quarter (below) that, to this day, I firmly believe is a Doubled Die Obverse variety, not attributed through the CPG, but a DDO nonetheless...split serifs within IGWT and Ribbon ends;

I ponied up the fee and the label came back with no further annotation, not even "Minor Variety". I called PCGS Customer Service and the coin was noted in their system as a "Minor Variety DDO" and she asked me to hold for clarification with the attributors. When she came back she stated that they said that is was deemed "too minor".

If a variety is not deemed as such at PCGS, half of the attribution fee is returned to the customer since an effort was put forth to determine the variety aspects in reference to their library. As far as an explanation, there is no such sort in the returned package. I needed to call customer service for the explanation. This label from ATS is what I was referring to...it states why it was not attributed as such, and I think that this would be a good idea for our host, as a record of explanation as to why it was not labeled as such.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

Bob,

I sent in a 1892-O Barber Quarter (below) that, to this day, I firmly believe is a Doubled Die Obverse variety, not attributed through the CPG, but a DDO nonetheless...split serifs within IGWT and Ribbon ends;

not a legitimate doubled obv die. imo.

bigger/clearer pics would help.

there are a few 1892 barber ddos though.

i have the 1892 25c pcgs ms66 cac toner fs-101.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Here is the TrueView link, up to 5757 x 2905;

http://images.pcgs.com/trueview/33580056

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

Here is the TrueView link, up to 5757 x 2905;

http://images.pcgs.com/trueview/33580056

I downloaded the trueview and to be perfectly honest, I just don't see anything which would lead me to believe that it is a doubled die. Strike Doubling or perhaps double struck?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    If a variety is not deemed as such at PCGS, half of the attribution fee is returned to the customer since an effort was put forth to determine the variety aspects in reference to their library.

This is news to me and I'll have to look it up but my understanding and experience has been

"No Variety, No Refunds".

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    "Will I be charged if my coin does not qualify for Variety Attribution?

In the event the coin does not qualify for a variety or is not a variety PCGS currently recognizes, PCGS will still charge a fee of $9 per coin. PCGS graders must examine the coin and research to determine whether or not a variety is appropriate. Thus the service is still provided. As a result, PCGS will only charge 50% of the original Variety Attribution fee."

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it, I do agree that it would be nice. However, they did tell you via the phone that it was too minor to be a variety...

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

Got it, I do agree that it would be nice. However, they did tell you via the phone that it was too minor to be a variety...

bobimage

Yes, the customer service rep (supposidly, she put me on hold) asked the attribution crew and the message passed on to me was that he DDO was "too minor". Something on paper would be nice, which is what started this thread, like ATS does.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file