Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Variety help on 1887 IHC

Is this the DDO and would it grade. I would guess 35 or 40. Pictures are not the greatest. But I think there is enough there to make a determination. This would be my first cherry pick. I hope this works, this is my first time posting with the new software.

pic 1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is, indeed, the doubled die. You scored a nice one there for sure! Congrats!!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 500-dollar-bill to me! I think it grades better than 35/40 - more like 45/50, as long as there's no hidden damage.

Congrats on an excellent introductory cherrypick!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got it- awesome pick!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    justcollectingjustcollecting Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I have a Nikon D3100 camera and a Sigma 150 mm lens I need a copy stand and some lighting and the knowledge on how to use them. I've been going to a flea market looking for a copy stand, that's how I came across this coin. It was in a stack of 8 better grade common IH cents for 24 dollars. Hopefully by this fall I will have everything I need to post some nice pictures.

How can I get the picture to post instead of the link.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: justcollecting

Thanks everyone. I have a Nikon D3100 camera and a Sigma 150 mm lens I need a copy stand and some lighting and the knowledge on how to use them. I've been going to a flea market looking for a copy stand, that's how I came across this coin. It was in a stack of 8 better grade common IH cents for 24 dollars. Hopefully by this fall I will have everything I need to post some nice pictures.

How can I get the picture to post instead of the link.

There's an image icon up top when you create your message, then just poste the URL into the field like this:

Nice find, BTW, that one is tough to cherrypick in that grade.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice catch.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoooooa! That's awaesome! image

First cherrypick? That one will be tough to exceed...stranger things have happened.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a helluva coin for a FIRST cherrypick! I've never been able to find better than a VG for this variety in 25+ years of looking other than an AU that had been mounted and still had the solder in the reverse.
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice wholesome coin and a variety to boot! Great find.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pick, congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very significant find, for sure! Doubling really pops

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Great flea market pickup!
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji