OT: Player nicknames
Options
1957Braves
Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
Second fun topic of the day for me. As I was looking through some cards, I found an Ed "Too Tall" Jones.
I was thinking that his nickname is so ingrained with him that you would at least have to think for a bit if the nickname was wasn't included. Like,"I got an Ed Jones rookie." "Who is Ed Jones?"; "Too Tall"; "Oh, of course".
Can we come up with a list of other players like that?
I was thinking that his nickname is so ingrained with him that you would at least have to think for a bit if the nickname was wasn't included. Like,"I got an Ed Jones rookie." "Who is Ed Jones?"; "Too Tall"; "Oh, of course".
Can we come up with a list of other players like that?
0
Comments
-
Boobie Clark.0
-
Ickey Woods.0
-
Originally posted by: travis t
Ickey Woods.
Great thread, i had to go watch the Geico commercial.0 -
Originally posted by: GrandMasterBOriginally posted by: travis t
Ickey Woods.
Great thread, i had to go watch the Geico commercial.
Gissome col' cuts! Woo!! ;-)0 -
Some hoopsters:
World B. Free
Bimbo Coles
Fat Lever
Tree Rollins
Spud Webb
Popeye Jones
Muggsy Bogues
Doc Rivers
Junior Bridgeman
Cadillac Anderson0 -
What does this have to do with sports cards & memorabilia?0
-
Nothing to do with sports cards or memorabilia, although my original post mentioned this thread spawned from me running across a card. I'll change to off topic. Just thought it would be a fun activity. Many apologies0
-
I am a football card collector, including the above named players, specifically because of their names. Also Free & Tree. I draw the line at Bimbos.0
-
Cornbread Maxwell.Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".0
-
"The Kid" Ted Williams, Gary Carter and Ken Griffey Jr.
George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.
0 -
-
"Mookie" Blaylock0
-
Goose Gossage0
-
James 'Cool Papa' Bell.0
-
He Hate Me.0
-
Catfish0
-
Shanty Hogan0
-
Moose Skowron, who was given that nickname not because of his resemblance to a moose, but rather his resemblance to Benito Mussolini.0
-
Pitcher "Mudcat" Grant.Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".0
-
Early Mets-"Choo Choo" Coleman.Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".0
-
Tin cup0
-
Moonlight Graham, Oil Can BoydAlways looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.0
-
Hacksaw Reynolds.0
-
Raiders Ted "The Stork" Hendricks.Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".0
-
I can't believe no one has mentioned Magic Johnson or Pee Wee Reese.
Or Babe Ruth
Steve0 -
How about Cy Young, Cap Anson, Whitey Ford, Duke Snider, Lefty Grove and Lefty Gomez.
Steve0 -
Mark"The Bird" Fidrych, John "The Count of' MontefuscoSuccessful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".0
-
Gabby Hartnett
Smokey Burgess
Rocky Bridges
Whitey Herzog
Yogi Berra
Rusty Staub
Hack Wilson
Ki Ki Cuyler
Dummy Hoy0 -
Bert "Be Home" Blyleven
Eddie "Eat, Drink and Be" Murray
Rafael "Emerson, Lake and" Palmeiro
Andy "Merchant of" Benes
0 -
Rock Raines, Sparky Anderson, Pudge Rodriguez, Donnie Baseball, Lenny "Nailz" Dykstra lol...Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.0
-
Moises "Piss Mitts"Alou. Google it.Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'0
-
my favorite is Carl Hubbell - The Meal TicketKiss me once, shame on you.
Kiss me twice.....let's party.0 -
The Big Hurt - Frank Thomas
Ryno - Ryne Sandberg
Wimpy - Tom Paciorek
The Juice - Julio Cruz
The Hawk - Andre Dawson
Pudge - Calrton Fisk (The first and real Pudge)
Rock Raines
0 -
Johnny Mize- "The Big Cat"Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".0
-
Rusty Staub known in Canada as "Le Grand Orange"Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".0
-
Nate tiny archibald
Walter big train johnson
Billy white shoes johnson
Just a couple I likeFred
collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.
looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started0 -
I'll try to get this thread back on track.
How about Casey Stengel and Satchel Paige.
Also, it seems too many people here didn't actually read the op. The op asked for players whose nicknames have superseded their given names in identifying the player. I don't know of anyone referring to Frank Thomas as "Big Hurt Thomas", or Andre Dawson as "Hawk Dawson, or Mark Fidrych being called "Bird Fidrych".
On the other hand, Sparky Anderson's given name is George. If anyone referred to him as George Anderson, none of us would know who the person was talking about. That is what the op asked for.
Steve0 -
Buck Showalter
IMFSuccessful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.0 -
Well, in keeping with the theme I'd mention the name Tiger Woods.
Of course, many of us know his real first name. But I wouldn't want to run the the risk of being clubbed if I said it close enough for him to hear it.0 -
OT: there are too many damn OT threads. Read the forum rules.0
-
0
Categories
- All Categories
- 520.1K Coins and Currency - PCGS
- 328.6K U.S. Coin Forum
- 14.8K PCGS Set Registry Forum
- 5.2K Q & A Forum
- 41.4K World & Ancient Coins Forum
- 3K U.S. & World Currency Forum
- 96.4K Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
- 7.3K Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
- 1.5K Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
- 61 Random
- 246.2K Trading Cards, Autographs and Memorabilia - PSA
- 90.3K Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
- 1.7K Autographs Forum
- 16.4K PSA Set Registry Forum
- 22K Sports Talk
- 115K Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
- 663 Buy, Sell & Trade - Autographs
- 2.2K Stamps
- 1.5K Stamps Forum
- 670 Buy, Sell & Trade - Stamps
- 83 Coin Shows
- 83 General Coin Show Information and Discussion
- 11.9K Misc
- 11.9K Testing Forum








