Home Sports Talk
Options

The Basketball HOF now includes

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
No surprises there

mark
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Chairman Mao was not elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, but he is in the Communist Leaders Hall of Fame. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PSASAP

Chairman Mao was not elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, but he is in the Communist Leaders Hall of Fame. image

A great typo and thanks for the catch

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaq made an appearance in the ring at WrestleMania last night so now he stands a chance at getting into the celeb wing of the WWE HOF as well.... image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One important note about the Basketball HOF inductions this year, for those who didn't recognize the name:

Cumberland (Cum) Posey, who is on the list of inductees, is the same Cum Posey who was inducted into the Baseball HOF back in 2006 (as a Negro Leaguer - team owner of the Homestead Grays).

Steve
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fail to see how Yao played at a high enough level for long enough to earn this honor. He was injured too much I believe.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Yao's contributions to the game (opening up the NBA to China, and all the trillions of dollars of future revenue that promises) is more of an impact than 90% of the players made on the court. It's all about the Benjamins, of course.
  • Options
    Basketball was already huge in China before Yao. Maybe he should be in as a contributor, but certainly not as a player

• Options
    On a certain level I like Yao but I'm inclined to agree about his induction being more political than based on performance. However I'm more than willing to listen to any dazzling well- reasoned argument from his fans about why he deserves the HOF based on any reasons other than political ones.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Mao is not a hofer
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me in the least. He was a 20/10 guy and made the All-Star Team 8 times. No doubt with Yao being China's most decorated athlete that lead to his induction and a few extra all star games.

mark
  • Options
    Yao has better numbers than Bill Walton, who got in based on his college career and the one great year he had with the Blazers in 1976-77. If the voters can make a case for Walton, it's not hard to justify Yao's place in the hall. He averaged 25 points a game at the height of his career, was an 80% or better free throw shooter every season, and was a force in the low block. It's too bad his feet couldn't stand the rigors of a full season, because he would have put up big numbers.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Did Ralph Sampson get in on a college resume also???

Walton also??

Every HOF has its few inductees that people don't agree with.

In baseball they still cry over George Kell and Bill Mazeroski
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I agree, Walton got in on his college career. But this is the basketball hall of fame, not the nba hof. Yao doesn't have that dazzling college career to add to his nba career. He only played in 500 nba games. Definitely not a hofer.

• Options
    This YouTube video is a good indication of the skill set Yao brought to the NBA.

Link
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    I agree, Walton got in on his college career. But this is the basketball hall of fame, not the nba hof. Yao doesn't have that dazzling college career to add to his nba career. He only played in 500 nba games. Definitely not a hofer.

He doesn't have a college career, but the Rockets didn't pick him off the streets in China - he did play basketball over there before he came here, and he continued to play on the Chinese national team after he came here.

I still agree with you that he's not a HOFer, but he's probably not as far away as your description places him.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Who cares, he's in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PSASAP
    This YouTube video is a good indication of the skill set Yao brought to the NBA.

Link

I did like the little behind the back move but that "top ten" was mostly Yao slamming over shorter guys. Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing hof-level awesomeness there.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    In Shaq's case, how about the fact that he was named one of the NBA's 50 Greatest players (for their 50th anniversary in 1997)...in only his fourth season?????
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars