Home Sports Talk
Options

Great picks on the "Living Legends of the Game" for teams AND the final 4.

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was good to see Bench and Rose get there just dues!

And did anyone notice Nolan Ryan made it on 3 teams!

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only other player to make it on more than one team was Vladimir Guerrero with the Angels and Expos.

Steve
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I was a bit surprised the Orioles' Franchise Four included Frank Robinson instead of Eddie Murray. The others were Jim Palmer, Cal, and Brooks Robinson. I figured Murray would get the nod over F. Robby due to being with the O's most of his career -- especially his prime years -- whereas FR spent the first part of his career (and a significant part of his prime years) with Cincy.

(Edit...Murray was not an Oriole his entire career...corrected that above)
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could nitpick at least one choice on virtually every team, but Buster Posey on the Giants????? They gave Mathewson one of the "Pioneer" spots, apparently making him ineligible for a spot on his team's list, but that still leaves Mel Ott and Juan Marichal. And he's a personal favorite of mine, but Bill Mazeroski in the top 4 on the Pirates is ridiculous; Arky Vaughan definitely deserved that spot. And Nolan Ryan is my all-time favorite player, but what exactly did he accomplish in his 840 innings as a Ranger that was more important than what Frank Howard accomplished in his 4,000+ at bats?

Almost all of the fours are missing an old-timer or two, and contain a player or two who current fans remember but who weren't nearly as good. It makes the whole exercise kind of silly. This was an opportunity to do something really meaningful and educational, and they blew it.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't make everybody happy. It's hard to boil all the great players down to 4. I would have put Ozzie on the Cards........He is the best SS to ever play the game......and I'm not a Card fan.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I don't remember Cy Young being one of the Indians, was he?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't remember Cy Young being one of the Indians, was he? >>

He was a Cleveland Spider for several years in the NL. I think that franchise folded when he left, or he left when it folded.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I could nitpick at least one choice on virtually every team, but Buster Posey on the Giants????? They gave Mathewson one of the "Pioneer" spots, apparently making him ineligible for a spot on his team's list, but that still leaves Mel Ott and Juan Marichal. >>

Personally, I have no problem with Buster's inclusion. He's the face of the franchise, and has been the key ingredient in their 3 championships.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I could nitpick at least one choice on virtually every team, but Buster Posey on the Giants????? They gave Mathewson one of the "Pioneer" spots, apparently making him ineligible for a spot on his team's list, but that still leaves Mel Ott and Juan Marichal. >>

Personally, I have no problem with Buster's inclusion. He's the face of the franchise, and has been the key ingredient in their 3 championships. >>

OK. As long as we agree that Mel Ott was 10 times the player Buster Posey is, or ever will be. If Posey having better teammates is what matters more than being great at baseball, then the fans got it right. My point is that it's a shame that the Franchise Four wasn't used to honor each franchise's four greatest players, so the honor meant something.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I have no problem with Buster's inclusion. He's the face of the franchise, and has been the key ingredient in their 3 championships. >>

OK. As long as we agree that Mel Ott was 10 times the player Buster Posey is, or ever will be. If Posey having better teammates is what matters more than being great at baseball, then the fans got it right. My point is that it's a shame that the Franchise Four wasn't used to honor each franchise's four greatest players, so the honor meant something. >>

Maybe they were sticking with the SF era (1958 - present) for this honor.

Still, Posey's leading the team in an era of glory unknown prior to 2010.

Fans picked..
    A God (Mays)
    The Friendly Ambassador (McCovey)
    The Anti-Hero (Bonds)
    The Champion (x3) (Posey)

Solid picks.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25