Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Identifying and Reporting a "Card Error"

Is there a way to determine if a specific card error has been previously ID'd and reported? Not a big deal but as I was looking through my 1989 UD cards from the rip, I noticed and error on a card and I would like to find out if it has been documented. Not sure if I contact the card manufacturer, PSA, or ??. The error is a spelling error and, while not significant, I have seen similar errors on other cards. Any ideas as to what I might do here? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Is it a corrected error? If there are more than one of the error/variation in question and there is a corrected version/non-error/variation available, I would consider it an official error/variation. What do you have?
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    There are lots of errors on cards. Typically an error will become collectible if the manufacturer created a second version of the card to to correct the error, making them variations. If you check the guides, pop, ebay and see that everyone only lists one version of the card, then it's most likely an uncorrected error that has no additional collector interest or value. Another type of error would be from random freak printing issues which could occur on any card.
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    The error I noticed is on the 1989 UD Card 489 - Jay Bell. It states he was born at "Elgin AFB, FL". I am an old AF guy and knew right away it should be "Eglin AFB, FL". I checked the PSA pop report and ebay and found no record of a corrected error. Looks like just another common card (unless someone has a correct version???). I appreciated your responses - very informative. Thanks.
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    More than likely it was never corrected. You could report it to beckett.com and see if they would note it as a UER (uncorrected error).

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    DaClydeDaClyde Posts: 17 ✭✭
    COMC has about 100 copies of this card and they all say "Elgin", so I'd say it is uncorrected. As such, I have added UER notations to the catalogs at TradingCardDB.com and SportsCardForum.com's Inventory Manager.
  • Options
    jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are lots of errors on cards. Typically an error will become collectible if the manufacturer created a second version of the card to to correct the error, making them variations. If you check the guides, pop, ebay and see that everyone only lists one version of the card, then it's most likely an uncorrected error that has no additional collector interest or value. Another type of error would be from random freak printing issues which could occur on any card. >>

So this would be considered a freak printing issue?

John

• Options
    elninopadreelninopadre Posts: 55 ✭✭

@jmlabonner said:
    << <i>There are lots of errors on cards. Typically an error will become collectible if the manufacturer created a second version of the card to to correct the error, making them variations. If you check the guides, pop, ebay and see that everyone only lists one version of the card, then it's most likely an uncorrected error that has no additional collector interest or value. Another type of error would be from random freak printing issues which could occur on any card. >>

So this would be considered a freak printing issue?

John

Looks like the printer person forgot to drink his morning coffee on that day...

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Rare test issue

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭