Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got my SB newps today

The first coin is in a PCGS slab, graded AU50. I haven't decided if I will keep it, but it is a scarcer non-portrait type. I still need to get an EF-ish S-1066 (the most common of the Alfred non-portrait types) some day. If I decide to keep this (likely), then I will liberate it from its holder. I feel the slabbed grade (AU50) is a bit generous, which usually translates to a British grade of Good VF. In this case, I feel a solid VF is more appropriate.

Below is what I wrote for this coin's tag:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Ælfred the Great. 871-899. AR Penny. Non-portrait type. Canterbury mint; Ethelstan, moneyer. +ELFRED REX DORO, small cross pattée, legend around / EDELSTAN MO in two lines, pellets between. SCBC 1069. VF, lightly toned.

This second coin is a far cry from the first: a Scudo of 140 Soldi from Venice during the rule of Duke Francesco Erizzo; Bernardo Balbi, mint master. 1631-1646. Dav-4249.

It is, surprisingly, a very attractive coin. It is lightly toned in delicate champagne hues. The coin was struck from dies that are both polished and rusted; I guess the dies were either very badly rusted, or the die polishing job was done terribly. In any case, the resultant combination of striations and rust pocks gives this coin a very flashy appearance. This coin is a pleasant surprise.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments