Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID Help please: India & Sassanian

Not quite sure about these...anyone know? The reverse of the Sassanian piece might not be orientated correctly.

Thanks,

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sasanid emperor sure looks like he is wearing the crown identified with Khusru II.
    If you enter Sasanid in the search engine, you will see my post of two pieces of Khusru II, for comparison.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    That sounds right, thanks. Any ideas on the Indian piece?
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry. I have no familiarity with Indian coins.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    The picture of the reverse of your Sassanian coin is upside down, I believe it depicts two men with headdresses with a fire altar in the middle.

As far as the Indian coin I can only take a wild guess and say it looks similar to others I have seen from both the Mewar and the Madras States of India. Might be a place to start searching.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The squares-with-knots-at-corners design of Indian rupee is very distinctive of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan - the same guy that built the Taj Mahal. Unfortunately, if my reading of these coins is correct, the mint-name is off the flan on your piece, but I think the style is a best fit for the very common Lahore type. Listed as KM# 235.17 in the 1600s Krause catalogue.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)