Home Testing Forum

Greek & other ancient issuing authorities

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how does a novice like myself "plan out" a collection of ancient Greek coins?

That was easy enough, when I was working on a Roman "Twelve Caesars" collection. I knew what I needed to complete that set. Even with a wider Roman Imperial "Emperor Portrait" collection, one can create a checklist, though the full set of more than 200 rulers is practically impossible for anyone, even great museums.

But... Greek coins? They don't assemble themselves quite so easily into organized "sets" like that, which is one reason I've never attempted a coherent collection of them before, much as I've enjoyed the few pieces I've owned in the past. Most people collect these coins along artistic themes, like animals or mythological deities and creatures. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but such "theme" collections are a little open-ended for my tastes. I usually prefer a "planned" set so I can see where I'm going and get some feeling of "progress" as I "fill each slot" and get closer to "completion".

Of course there is no way any person could ever hope to ever have a "complete" collection of any kind of ancient coin, as the variations are almost infinite. But to start off with, I picked a basic (yet still very challenging!) type set, to consist of one coin from each major heading in the Wildwinds alphabetical index of cities, regions, and rulers. Not every subcategory, mind you- just the top level categories listed in black text on the index. That alone has more than 90 entries, and will be a daunting pursuit, particularly on my modest budget! This will give me a varied and well-rounded collection which will teach me more than if I'd just stuck to one region or kingdom.

I will likely focus mostly on bronze and smaller silver coins, as the big silver is expensive and the gold is, for me, untouchable. In the past, I've submitted some of my ancients to NGC for slabbing, but this will be a "back to basics" collection of raw coins. I've come around to thinking that spending all that money on pricey plastic slabs is a little silly, at least for a larger collection as this may one day become. A few favorites here may wear NGC slabs and do double-duty in my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection, but for the most part, I will keep the newer additions raw so I can hold them in my hand and appreciate their aura of great antiquity.

Obviously, this very ambitious project will keep me busy for a a long time, if I stick to it, and I may never complete even the "basic" plan I've mapped out here. I'm sure my ideas about the parameters of the set will evolve over time, and I may eventually develop a more specialized focus on one or more particular areas. But initially I'll just try and see how many coins from these basic categories I can get, and learn as much as I can.

Wildwinds Greek & Roman Provincial alphabetical index by city, region, or ruler

Aeolis
Aigina
Aitolia
Akarnania
Apulia
Arabia
Argolis
Arkadia
Armenia
Asia Minor
Attica
Axum
Babylon
Baktria
Bithynia
Boeotia
Bosporos
Bruttium
Byzacene

imageCalabria, Taras: silver obol, ca. 250 BC

Campania
Cappadocia
Caria
Characene
Cilicia
Commagene
Corcyra
Corinth
Crete
Cyclades
Cyprus
Dacia
Egypt
Elis
Elymais
Epeiros
Etruria
Euboia
Frentani
Galatia
Gaul
Illyria
Indo-Parthians
Indo-Scythians

imageIonia, Teos: silver trihemiobol, ca. 500-450 BC

Judaea
Kolchis
Kyrenaica
Kushans
Laconia
Latium
Lesbos
Lokris
Lucania
Lycaonia
Lycia
Lydia
Macedonia
Mauretania
Megaris
Mesopotamia
Messenia
Moesia
Mysia
Numidia
Paeonia
Palestine
Pamphylia
Paphlagonia
Peloponnesos
Persis
Phoenicia
Phokis
Phrygia
Picenum
Pisidia
Pontos
Rhodes
Samaria
Sardinia
Sarmatia
Scythia

imageSeleucia: bronze AE19 of Antiochus VIII, ca. 121-120 BC

Sicily
Sikyon
Spain
Syria
Syrtica

imageThessaly, Rhodian Mercenaries: silver drachm, ca. 175-170 BC

Thrace
Thraco-Macedonian Tribes

imageTroas, Birytis: bronze AE8, ca. 300 BC

Umbria
Zeugitana

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calabria, Taras- silver obol, ca. 250 BC.

Obverse- kantharos, surrounded by (five) pellets.
    Reverse- kantharos, surrounded by pellets.

11 mm, 0.4 g. Ex-Brian Bucklan (bargainbinancients.com), 5/22/2014.

With cabinet toning from an old collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.