Home Precious Metals
Options

They're back!!!

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got an e-mail from JM Bullion informing me that the Johnson Matthey 10 oz bars are back in production and will be identical to the originals including showing serial numbers and being sealed in plastic. I wonder if Sunshine Minting will produce these like they are producing the 1 oz J-M bars. I guess the premiums for the vintage originals will disappear.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    The premium on these is kinda high....
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>The premium on these is kinda high.... >>

Agree. It's because of the first run, imo. They will eventually go down as it happened with the 1 ozer.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got an e-mail from JM Bullion informing me that the Johnson Matthey 10 oz bars are back in production and will be identical to the originals including showing serial numbers and being sealed in plastic. I wonder if Sunshine Minting will produce these like they are producing the 1 oz J-M bars. I guess the premiums for the vintage originals will disappear. >>

maybe true but maybe not, these new generic sunshine bars will have a letter starting out the serial number just as the 1 oz ones do, and that differentiates the new generics from the real vintage jm bars...

more importantly this portends a gloomy horizon for the price of silver, as there is a mass quantity of generic bars coming to the "investor/phyzz" market,
    kinda like licensing KISS merchandise, lol... there is more silver than anyone can imagine...

and the bs story of consuming more silver than is mined every year is plain bs... oh yea its bs...lol...
    be careful, be discerning, be picky, be choosy and most importantly be patient...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

High premium or low paper price?
    Premiums on PMs tell you what the market thinks of paper futures.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

Premiums on PMs tell you what the market thinks of paper futures. >>

no it doesnt, if it did all premiums would be the same,
    premiums are like the betting spreads in vegas, run em high n see how many u sell, then roll down slow only if u have to and keep sellin...

edit to add, they are approx $4 over now to sell to all who think they are buying jm bars, sealed to boot...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the market is awash in silver; new forms must be manufactured (some mimic old popular forms) in order to get collector investors to pay more, sometimes much more, than melt.

ulgy boring silver sells for scrap metal or near so- exciting beautiful silver sells for premiums, all the way to 1000x premiums to melt or more for rare old coins or newer ones in rare plastic slabs

it's kind of wierd when you sit down and think about it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Premiums on PMs tell you what the market thinks of paper futures. >>

no it doesnt, if it did all premiums would be the same,
    premiums are like the betting spreads in vegas, run em high n see how many u sell, then roll down slow only if u have to and keep sellin...

edit to add, they are approx $4 over now to sell to all who think they are buying jm bars, sealed to boot... >>

Yes it does. All premiums for physical or not the same because the seller gets to determine them and they vary from product to product just as they do from dealer to dealer. But notice how they are all higher than paper futures prices and the lower that futures price goes the higher the premium seems to creep up. This is the physical market determining its own price independent of futures price. And if a massive futures selloff were to occur you may see sellers set a physical price lower than futures spot price in order to dump inventory.

• Options

<< <i> This is the physical market determining its own price independent of futures price. And if a massive futures selloff were to occur you may see sellers set a physical price lower than futures spot price in order to dump inventory. >>

let me fix that for you, its not the physical market, its the retail physical market that you speak of, that like i said is not determined by the market, but like you said, a dealer(s) whim...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We see sellers supposedly getting $28 for ASE, but what are they paying? The price YOU could sell something for is the real price.

Paper silver will be traded as long as there is physical silver. Paper derivatives of physical assets have been created and traded since the creation of markets themselves.

Some people place a higher value on owning something that will break their toes if dropped and are willing to pay more for it. Thats what makes a market.

Personally, I do like to hold physical assets, but I am not willing to pay what I believe to be onerous premiums. I do not fear paper silver or gold and will own and trade it freely and willingly.

I do not see any advantage to paying a 40-50% premium for a commodity, and have been called a cheap ba$tard on many occasion. Im ok with that.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> This is the physical market determining its own price independent of futures price. And if a massive futures selloff were to occur you may see sellers set a physical price lower than futures spot price in order to dump inventory. >>

let me fix that for you, its not the physical market, its the retail physical market that you speak of, that like i said is not determined by the market, but like you said, a dealer(s) whim... >>

wholesale, retail what's the difference when it comes to physical sellers setting price?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wholesale, retail what's the difference when it comes to physical sellers setting price?

Volume and margin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wholesale, retail what's the difference when it comes to physical sellers setting price?

>>

Seems about 20% these days.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    They better keep fabricating new Ag material.

We collectors and stackers need to maintain that 100 moz per year pace or the price will drop to $11-$12 oz.

Mine output is up to a 1 billion oz per year and manufacturing+photo+jewelry+silverware is the same as 2003!

Now get back in there and buy...buy...buy.

Loves me some shiny!