Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Submission Question (52 & 56 variations)

So I'm just completing the form on my first sub. All 15 are identified, with expected grades listed, and while checking values with VCP, several of them, 52s and 56s, are variations.

52 Hodges Red Back
56 Williams White Back
56 Koufax White Back
56 Aaron White Back
56 Mantle Grey Back

I've seen cards listed with and without the variations noted.

Is there a rule of thumb, like only if the variation has a x% price difference? Is it all personal preference?

Just curious on thoughts as I'm on the fence here, and if it's a preference thing, what do you prefer?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    PSA will only label Black Back variations for 52's, I believe the BB are priced a little higher. They will also label either white or grey in the '56 set when the same card was produced both ways. White backs are rarer. Use your best judgement on what you think it's worth more on the condition of the card, that's most important and I wouldn't worry about the back color too much to determine your estimated price. Take care. Doug
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    By expected grades do you mean you are setting minimum grade requirements?
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    With the 56's... cards 1-180 came in both white back and grey back... white back's are rarer on cards 101-180
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    No. As a first time subber I'm taking notes on my expected grades on the side...not in the sub form.

This way I can grade myself on grading when they come back. Sorry. That was misleading.

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. As a first time subber I'm taking notes on my expected grades on the side...not in the sub form.

This way I can grade myself on grading when they come back. Sorry. That was misleading.

Jim >>

This is the way you should do it Jim. Like I said earlier don't worry about white, grey, red and black backs just do your price estimate on the letter grade you think it will be and take the lowest book value or whatever your reference is. Too confusing and a time waster to judge the price on back color variations.