Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

What's a sealed 1978 OPC wax box worth?

Need to raise cash.

Bought from BBCE a few years ago.

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on what I've seen I would guess around $550-600.
    James
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last two at auction sold for $425 each. Also see one sold for BIN of $525.

1978 OPC wax boxes

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the one that sold for $525 but I think that being BBCE authenticated would add to the value. That is assuming it is still shrink wrapped.
    James
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on what I've seen I would guess around $550-600.
    James >>

I believe this too...

Was it from the case we busted from the Group Rip a few years back??

I still have one from then

Drop Esquiresports a PM, he's a member here that would be a buyer
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Based on what I've seen I would guess around $550-600.
    James >>

I believe this too...

Was it from the case we busted from the Group Rip a few years back??

I still have one from then

Drop Esquiresports a PM, he's a member here that would be a buyer >>

I still have mine, too. IIRC, they were $250 a box at the time, lol...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Yup Tim just around that price, would of been nice to snag a few more lol!!

IIRC they yielded some pretty fresh cards too, as many ripped theirs back then
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I was the buyer of the 1978 OPC box that just sold BIN for $525. I had been following that box for a while, the seller had it at around $675 BIN or something like that with a best offer option. As Tim mentioned the same seller had auctioned the last two 78 OPC boxes on ebay for approximately $425 each (I think) back in December. I never bothered to send an offer as I only valued the box at around $475 without the BBCE wrapping. To ship the box to Steve, pay him to authenticate it and have him send it back to me would have been around $50. The day the seller lowered the box to $525 happened to be the day that there was the 10% ebay bucks deal going. As such I figured I would get $52.50 back from the purchase which would essentially place the box at where I valued a non-BBCE box ($475). Getting the box at $475 (after ebay bucks) would allow me to ultimately have it authenticated by Steve and my total cost would have been $525. So you could/would say that I value the box at $525 for a BBCE wrapped version.

Of course, as I posted on another thread, the seller ended up backing out of the sale. Possibly because I told him I was having it authenticated. Or possibly because he has a mouse problem and a corner of the box was eaten by a mouse (this was his reason why he opened an ebay case to cancel the sale).
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>I was the buyer of the 1978 OPC box that just sold BIN for $525. I had been following that box for a while, the seller had it at around $675 BIN or something like that with a best offer option. As Tim mentioned the same seller had auctioned the last two 78 OPC boxes on ebay for approximately $425 each (I think) back in December. I never bothered to send an offer as I only valued the box at around $475 without the BBCE wrapping. To ship the box to Steve, pay him to authenticate it and have him send it back to me would have been around $50. The day the seller lowered the box to $525 happened to be the day that there was the 10% ebay bucks deal going. As such I figured I would get $52.50 back from the purchase which would essentially place the box at where I valued a non-BBCE box ($475). Getting the box at $475 (after ebay bucks) would allow me to ultimately have it authenticated by Steve and my total cost would have been $525. So you could/would say that I value the box at $525 for a BBCE wrapped version.

Of course, as I posted on another thread, the seller ended up backing out of the sale. Possibly because I told him I was having it authenticated. Or possibly because he has a mouse problem and a corner of the box was eaten by a mouse (this was his reason why he opened an ebay case to cancel the sale). >>

Steve, Do you know what the seller's name was?

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

Sure, the seller was: 1andonlycollectibles

The seller actually has excellent feedback and has a number of good items up including PSA graded packs. However, this is only the second time I have ever bought something and had the seller back out of the sale. I have no reason to doubt his explanation as to why he can't deliver the box. I can only say that he discovered the damage to the box after I gave him Steve's address in Indiana to ship the box to for authentication.

However, I don't want to hijack this thread. So if you or anyone wants more info just PM me (although I have pretty much given all the info I have). The OP wanted to know the value of the box he wants to sell. I thought it would be relevant to say I was the buyer on the last box sold (or not sold) on Ebay and give the thinking behind how I valued the box.
    Steve
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I think it is worth about 18 bucks but I'll give you 20! image
    Good luck on selling it. I still have about 15 cards to finish my set with. Love the 78s no matter if they are topps or OPC!
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    What could this have sold for?

link fixed
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    I know BBCE had them for $1100 recently. Has anyone seen any recent sales?
  • Options
    The one in the link also sold for $1,100. Very strong price, imo..

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. The link did not work for me last night. Is that the only recent sale you are aware of?
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info. The link did not work for me last night. Is that the only recent sale you are aware of? >>

I was refering to this (link fixed)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the info. The link did not work for me last night. Is that the only recent sale you are aware of? >>

I was refering to this (link fixed) >>

That one sold for $1,100.00.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.