Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Has Anyone ever Cherrypicked right here on the Buy, Sell, & Trade Forum?

I love the stories of the rips and cherry picks off of eBay (and, a little on Teletrade).

Anyone have any adventures they'd like to share in regards to this forum? Perhaps it would hurt the seller's feelings, but really- it shouldn't.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the stories of the rips and cherry picks off of eBay (and, a little on Teletrade).

Anyone have any adventures they'd like to share in regards to this forum? Perhaps it would hurt the seller's feelings, but really- it shouldn't. >>

Not me. This is like family here. If the deal was too good, I would let the seller know.
  • Options
    1 - I don't think this belongs here, as it is bumping over real BST threads, and this isn't one of them.
    2 - For this type of discussion, it should go in the US coin section.
    3 - If anyone did cherry pick someone on here, I don't think they would openly acknowledge it. (Just IMO)
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could all be in good fun.

I know I've picked up some beautiful coins here that were understated by the seller. That's a rare moment.

peacockcoins

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Could be a great topic, but this really doesn't belong here.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask Lordmarcovan image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the stories of the rips and cherry picks off of eBay (and, a little on Teletrade).

Anyone have any adventures they'd like to share in regards to this forum? Perhaps it would hurt the seller's feelings, but really- it shouldn't. >>

I cherrypicked you. Don't ask. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>

I cherrypicked you. Don't ask. image >>

All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ask Lordmarcovan image >>

Ah, so some folks remember, eh? image

Most people would keep it to themselves after getting a cherrypick here.

However, I did just that, around 2006 or so, and I'll tell the tale. (It's been told before.)

I bought a couple of bulk bags of wheat cents from a few different members.

Thing is, I mixed 'em together, so I really wasn't sure who the cherrypick came from after I found it.

But here 'tis. It had a piece of dirt covering the mintmark. When I used a toothpick to remove that, I discovered "D" doesn't just stand for "dirt"! Woohoo!

The coin went XF40 at PCGS, and I reaped over $700 for that less-than-five-cent investment. One of my better cherrypicks.

I had a very vague hunch who it came from, but that member was a relative newbie who sort of fell out of sight soon afterward.

If I could have verified that it was in fact him I'd gotten the cherrypick from, I would've thrown him a bone.

Here's hoping that some good karma found him, whoever and wherever he is.

PS- oh, and Pat... funny you should ask about this, because that '14-D cent went off in the same submission as the 1812 cent you later cherrypicked from me. After it was here on BST for what, less than five minutes? I shot myself in the foot on that one! Haha. Win some, lose some!

Then there's the time Cladiator cherrypicked me with that holey Draped Bust half...

Win some, lose some.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I've been cherry picked! I had a colonial for sale on eBay- (listed the auction here). Was languishing at about $150. with a couple of days to go (tons of watchers though...). I had purchased it off a bid board
    for around $33. a few years earlier.

I had a PM willing to purchase the coin/auction outright for $3,500. A firm, and to be- outrageously good offer. I accepted. Delisted the coin, and sent it overnight to the buyer after he bank wired the funds (all within the same day).
    It wasn't until I got home and the eBay messages stacked up with a dozen or so collectors telling me what it was I really had.

It ended up the piece was ubber rare and sold for $35,000.00 at auction a few weeks later.

peacockcoins

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yowch.

Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield, as somebody said (maybe it was me), around the time Cladiator unknowingly cherrypicked an Overton discovery coin right from my Holey Coin Vest.

I take it all philosophically. He made a nice gesture and bought me an Overton book and had it signed by all the people involved in the discovery.

So in the times I've lost out, I've at least gained an education and a story to tell.

Oh, and the Mysterious Ming Medallion?

It's just gotten its own multi-page section, including several quotes from me, footnotes, and my name in the index of...

... this newly published book. (Click "look inside" and search "Shinnick". There I am.)

So what did I get when I sold that particular detector find, you ask?

Twenty bucks.

But oh, I got a helluva story. So much so that a NY Times bestselling author (albeit a controversial one) is writing all about it, and the medallion has been taken by another person on a lecture tour of China and Hong Kong.

And I didn't even know I was in the recent book until a forum friend happened across it and told me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully they're cherrypicking my stuff.... as long as I got it cheap, and made good $... if they make even more, lots more, it's still a 'win win'. (Just hope they buy more with the windfall.)D >>