Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No love from Kmart

Went to the three Kmarts close to me today with hopes of finding some cheaper older wax after reading some of the recent posts but no luck at all. Someone must have beaten me to anything that was placed on shelves......

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Bummer. I posted about some 90UD and 91F Ultra at 10/box, but their appearance shocked me. I rarely see anything pre-08, except for the "chase" boxes, but I'm guessing you'll usually end up with 16 packs of junk wax for 12-20 bucks, and no finds. It's always hit or miss for me at all the retailers. Good luck on the next mission.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I have not tried K-Mart and in fact, I'm not even sure where any are near me image. At least you can say you tried. That's the kind of thing where you simply won't know until you show up in person. Best of luck on the next adventure image
  • Options
    I was lucky to find some Leaf Pete Rose blasters tonight for $13.00 at Target along with some other goodies in the discount bin. There's a Pete Rose auto in every box. I love giving them out to guests when they come and want to see my collection.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was lucky to find some Leaf Pete Rose blasters tonight for $13.00 at Target along with some other goodies in the discount bin. There's a Pete Rose auto in every box. I love giving them out to guests when they come and want to see my collection. >>

That's pretty crazy... 1 Rose auto per box.

I would buy that 1990 UD.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    My buddy got me a box of 1992 Upper Deck for my wedding present a few years ago. After this thread I'm pretty certain he found them at a Target or KMart.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I get my van back I'm going to make a run to Target, sometimes discounted boxes show up there.....there is a Walmart near one of the targets by me so I'll probably stop in there as well....
  • Options
    I realized after that posting that my local Meijer has a hoard of the Pete Rose boxes. I went over there and found 10, but priced at $21.99. I went to the manager and asked if they would price match and...no dice. I said I'm happy to buy all of these at the price I paid at Target and he didn't even acknowledge that I was still standing there. So...I guess I won't be buying from Meijer for awhile.
  • Options
    I used to work for Giant Eagle up here near Cleveland and they are pretty rigid on their prices ....if I remember right they have a private vendor come in and stock that part of the store so the prices are controlled by the vendor......however as far as customer service it sounds like the Meijers person you talked to could use some training....it's funny I was recently reading an article about customer service and grocery chains and Meijers was not highly regarded...
  • Options
    Giant Eagle...wow, that's not a name I've heard in a long time. I used to live in Streetsboro/Aurora area and would shop there all the time.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to work for Giant Eagle up here near Cleveland and they are pretty rigid on their prices ....if I remember right they have a private vendor come in and stock that part of the store so the prices are controlled by the vendor......however as far as customer service it sounds like the Meijers person you talked to could use some training....it's funny I was recently reading an article about customer service and grocery chains and Meijers was not highly regarded... >>

You are correct they do have a private vendor. When some Kmarts closed in our area and they had their % off closing sales, the hobby mdse. was nowhere to be found. It had already been returned and was not part ot the closing sale. Not sure how Target does it. On occasion I've seen the staff stocking the shelves while unpacking shipping boxes. Whether from a vendor or the Target warehouse I do not know.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    because of this thread, i stopped by a Kmart on the way home from work last night and was able to pick up 3 - 2007 Topps Series 2 Blaster boxes for $5.99 each. I'm really not sure if it's a great deal, but it's fun to rip 10 packs out of each box. image
  • Options
    I stopped at a target yesterday and they had a $12.99 Pete Rose box and a Goodwin box but I didn't bite...don't know if they are worth returning for or not.
    al.
  • Options
    The Pete Rose auto's that I don't give out as gifts have been fetching about $15 each at shows that I do. I've gotten upwards of $20 for a couple, but no more than that. I think it's cool to have a Pete Rose auto, even if you don't collect. The Goodwin is trash and not worth the cardboard it's printed on, IMO.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I went to Target yesterday and mistakenly bought some repackaged junk. It said Authentic Memorabilia on the box, and I thought it was SP Authentic football, with one memorabilia card included. Well, this was not the case. The memorabilia card was a jersey card of some schmoe I've never heard of, from the 2002 UD Piece of History set. The rest of the box included 3 unopened packs: 1 SP from 2009, 1 Topps (regular) from 2012, and 1 Score from 2013. Only thing decent was an Andrew Luck/Jim Plunkett card from the Topps set, but it's just a regular card, not serial-numbered or anything. Worth about a buck.

To add insult to injury, the box was hard as heck to open. They must have used Gorilla Glue on the back flaps, LOL. I had to cut it open along the top. I chalked up the $10 cost as part of my hobby "tuition".
  • Options

<< <i>The Pete Rose auto's that I don't give out as gifts have been fetching about $15 each at shows that I do. I've gotten upwards of $20 for a couple, but no more than that. I think it's cool to have a Pete Rose auto, even if you don't collect. The Goodwin is trash and not worth the cardboard it's printed on, IMO. >>

I hope to find these blasters someday. I would love to own a Rose auto.
  • Options
    You can get them for $13.95 on Dave and Adam's Card World.

Pete Rose box
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I used to work for Giant Eagle up here near Cleveland and they are pretty rigid on their prices ....if I remember right they have a private vendor come in and stock that part of the store so the prices are controlled by the vendor......however as far as customer service it sounds like the Meijers person you talked to could use some training....it's funny I was recently reading an article about customer service and grocery chains and Meijers was not highly regarded... >>

You are correct they do have a private vendor. When some Kmarts closed in our area and they had their % off closing sales, the hobby mdse. was nowhere to be found. It had already been returned and was not part ot the closing sale. Not sure how Target does it. On occasion I've seen the staff stocking the shelves while unpacking shipping boxes. Whether from a vendor or the Target warehouse I do not know. >>

I think my K-Mart is the same. They have just one area in an impulse isle. Everything is over priced (Modern blaster boxes $21.99) and they usually have shopping carts stacked up there.
  • Options
    The three Kmarts I went to had the cards in three different places. ONe had them in the front along with sports clothing in a side room, the second had the cards down the aisle with magazines next to health and beauty items and the third had them way in the back of the store with their music items. I would guess they don't sell alot at the prices they usually charge. Toys R Us are worse, everything is priced two to three bucks more than target.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>I realized after that posting that my local Meijer has a hoard of the Pete Rose boxes. I went over there and found 10, but priced at $21.99. I went to the manager and asked if they would price match and...no dice. I said I'm happy to buy all of these at the price I paid at Target and he didn't even acknowledge that I was still standing there. So...I guess I won't be buying from Meijer for awhile. >>

They are blowing them out here Link
  • Options

<< <i>You can get them for $13.95 on Dave and Adam's Card World.

Pete Rose box >>

Yeah, plus $8.95 shipping. If I find them locally, they'll be cheaper than $23. And I'm only interested in the $15 auto.
  • Options
    how often do the autographs show up in the Rose boxes? I noticed that on the boxes it says autographs or autographed memorabilia sendaway....
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how often do the autographs show up in the Rose boxes? I noticed that on the boxes it says autographs or autographed memorabilia sendaway.... >>

Autographs are 1 per blaster. I'm not sure on the odds for the redemption cards.

I picked one up at target a couple of days ago for 12.99. I am leaving it sealed for now. I already have a few rose autos.
    After I purchased it, I went home and looked them up. BBCE has them for $12.00 per blaster.