Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

12 days of Christmas Carnage (Day 12 - 1958 cello pack results!!!!)

ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 11, 2018 7:46PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Continuing a tradition I started a few years ago of ripping a '58 Football cello pack for Christmas started out a little shaky this year but as "luck" would have it I now have enough packs to extend that tradition a few more years! As long as I keep them in the safe, out of sight and out of mind that is image

I've chosen which '58 pack I'm going to open and to make this year a little more fun I've also picked up a few other things mostly from BBCE (pre-Black Friday) and a couple of things from eBay to make this year's ripping carnage last for 12 days!!!!

Here is the hoard that I'll be ripping starting this Friday and ending Christmas Eve with the '58 pack.

Each day I will pick a year and rip that pack or packs and post the results in this thread. The plan is to start with the least expensive packs and go from there.

The posts may not be exactly on the day scheduled (especially this Weekend) but I'll do my best to keep up.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Scott

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good luck Scott! Looking forward to following this thread.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    This is gonna be fun to watch. Thanks for sharing and good luck!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, that's a great tradition!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Scott,
    Good luck and thanks for sharing your rip!
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!

who is showing on the back of the 58 cello? I'm I allowed to predict an Em T, Packers team card, Bears team and James Dooley from the top half of the pack??

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a tradition! Best of luck and hope you pull some great cards image
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice tradition Scott--but damn you--I mean Vintage ??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok carry on--have fun--
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see this. I wished more people would open these packs up so we can all enjoy them. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Scott
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I like this a lot! Good luck!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:49PM
    Day 1 - 3 packs of 1983 wax...

No star power here except for the stickers. Here are the best of the commons:

Next up - 2 packs of 1982 wax
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:49PM
    Day 2 (a little late) - 2 packs of 1982 wax...

No star power here either except once again for the stickers. I hate getting dups with only two packs!!

Here are the best of the commons:

Next up - 2 packs of 1980 wax
  • Options
    My first haircut in a 'salon' I recall asking the scary beast to 'feather it'. Must have seen Joe's do and wanted to copy it. That is as ugly a do as I had then image
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:51PM
    Day 3 - 2 packs of 1980 wax...

There was a little bit of star power in these packs. Got an OC Dan Fouts and a Seahawks Checklist with Largent!

Most were off center but there were a few good commons.

Here are the best of the bunch:

Next up - 5 packs of 1985 cellos
  • Options
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I especially like that Walter Payton sticker. His expression says he's ready to kick some a$$ image
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Christmas day can't come quick enough. How in the world are you this patient not to open the 1958 Topps cello? This is awesome to watch.

Thanks
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

<< <i>Christmas day can't come quick enough. How in the world are you this patient not to open the 1958 Topps cello? This is awesome to watch.

Thanks >>

I've have at least one '58 pack in my safe for over 9 months with even more in there now. So it's definitely a challenge for me to keep a pack that long without busting it, especially when they're all destined to be opened at some point anyway. I'm not shy about busting expensive packs but I do at least try and keep it to special occasions! Christmas being one, the National being another and sometimes on my birthday.

PSA has had my cards from the '61 Fleers' I ripped at this years National for almost two months, I'm hoping they pop by Christmas image

Scott

'85 cellos coming up later tonight!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:53PM
    Day 4 - 5 packs of 1985 cello...

Getting better, quite a bit of star power here although none of the biggies. Overall the centering was decent on most of these, but as usual corners and edges got most of the cards. All the stickers were ruined by the gum except the one pack that had a double sticker.

Here are the best results from the pack:

Next up - 1 pack of '81 Wax
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the look of those 1985 designs. Great thread...looking forward to the rest!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the look of those 1985 designs. Great thread...looking forward to the rest! >>

Love the design, hate the photos. Really wish there would have been less head shots and more action shots.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:54PM
    Day 5 - 1 pack of 1981 wax...

A little star power here with a Dwight Clark rookie, slightly off center but otherwise pretty nice. A few nice commons to boot

Next up - 1 pack of '84 Wax
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:55PM
    Day 6 - 1 pack of 1984 wax...

A little star power here too with a Darrell Green rookie, slightly off center but the it was the wax (on back) card! A few nice commons but all were a little OC.

Next up - 1 pack of '86 Rack
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I'm enjoying this so much I plan to copy the idea next year but my budget won't allow me to finish quite as strong as you are going to.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Bob Baumhower, played his college ball at the University of Alabama. He is well known here in the state of Alabama for his Baumhower's Restaurants sports bars. Their specialty is wings and they are quite tasty!
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:56PM
    Day 7 - 1 rack of 1986...

Two major stars in this rack pack although not either of the biggies. There was a stunning Payton and a nice Montana and a few blazin' commons.

Here are the best results from the rack:

Next up - 1 pack of '79 Wax
  • Options
    I've never had good luck with 80's wax. Good job!
  • Options
    Nice, do like the Payton, Montana, and the Stallworth (gotta like his expression LOL). 1979 Topps Football may just be my most favorite series ever. Brings back a lot of memories. Best wishes when you rip that one!
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:57PM
    Day 8 - 1 pack of 1979 wax...

By far the worst pack of the series. Only star power was an OC Oilers leaders card with Campbell. Oddly the only cards that were even remotely centered were all Jets, 3 of them. All the other cards were centered like the Oilers team card or worse!

Next up - 1 pack of '78 Wax
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey, that 1979 pack would have been gold for me back in the day although Lam Jones was the one I searched for.

Looking forward to seeing more carnage in person at next year's National. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:58PM
    Day 9 - 1 pack of 1978 wax...

Great looking cards in this pack, great corners throughout but of course centering is always an issue with this year. Only star power was an OC/MC Rushing leaders with Payton. The Hendricks has some weird "cut" going on in the upper left corner otherwise it would be a stunner. The only real stunner in this pack was the Boobie!

Next up - 1 pack of '77 Wax
  • Options
    You have a very nice Boobie...it appears very symmetrical with great coloring image. Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Looking forward to the 1977 next.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 7:59PM
    Day 10 - 1 pack of 1977 wax...

No star power here, a good minor star in an Archie Griffin Rookie but it has an ugly spot on the top border image The rest were the typical mixed bag of centering and tilts with a couple that were centered.

Here are all the cards from the pack:

Next up - 1 pack of '75 Wax
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 8:00PM
    Day 11 - 1 pack of 1975 wax...

Overall some nice cards in this pack except for the gum (tackle leaders) and the wax (Dougless-back) card. A slightly off-center Cliff Branch rookie was the highlight of this pack! No really nice centered cards, but overall the centering was good.

Here are all the cards from the pack:

Next up - 1 pack of '58 Cello!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Overall, pretty nice pack on the '75. image
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 8:09PM
    Day 12 - 1 pack of 1958 Cello...

This pack was kind of a deja vu moment from the first time I opened a 1958 cello (Christmas 2011). 5 cards were the same including two major HOFs. jmoran19 you did predict the first two cards into the pack (Tunnell and Dooley) but the others weren't there. Overall there were 4 HOFs, all cards had great corners with the top and bottom cards with minor dings.

Here is the rest of the pack:

Overall not too bad of a pack, 4 will be graded to see what happens.

I'm temped to open another one since I've pulled those cards before... but I hope I can resist image

Merry Christmas to all you fellow forum goers.

Next up, my CU Secret Santa gift!!!

Scott

• Options
    Just open it! This Eve is extra special.
  • Options
    Tunnell and Boyd look like easy 9's! Amazing rip loaded with Starr and Berry...all I can say is WOW and thanks for sharing the rip! Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    Bart - that is all that is needed image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott ... thanks for sharing. Hope that Print Dot on Tunnell does not effect the grade. The last "9" to sell on eBay 2+ years ago went for almost FIVE HUNDRED.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fisheye on the Tunnell won't keep it from grading Mint 9, but I'd check surfaces as a number of these have PD issues that could limit an otherwise PSA 9 to a PSA 9PD or straight PSA 7.

Tremendous rip and some beautiful cards~thanks for sharing and good luck with the grades!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    thanks a ton for sharing!! 4 hall of famers, great pack.

P.S. any as you can tell sequencing isn't a perfect science, more of an educated guess

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>thanks a ton for sharing!! 4 hall of famers, great pack.

P.S. any as you can tell sequencing isn't a perfect science, more of an educated guess >>

Yea, the more of these I open the more I "learn" about their sequencing. It's never a sure bet but you can make some good bets!
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Wow- huge hits. Very cool. Congrats!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    What an amazing pack! Beautiful cards. Thank you for sharing!!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    image Thanks for sharing!