Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ancient Rome (Imperial): bronze as of Gaius "Caligula", ca. 37-41 AD

Ancient Rome (Imperial): bronze as of Gaius "Caligula", ca. 37-41 AD

NGC VF (Strike 4/5. Surface 3/5). Ex- Athena Numismatics, London, UK, 1/16/2013. Purchased raw.

To quote the original auction description: "GAIUS CALIGULA. 37-41 AD. Æ As (10.96 gm). Struck 37/38 AD. C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare head left / VESTA, S C across field, Vesta seated left, holding patera and sceptre. RIC I 38; BMCRE 46; Cohen 27. Good VF, dark patina."

This is actually the fourth Caligula* I have owned. The first* was very nice for the price, but I sold it when I had to break up my loriginal collection. When I was able to resume collecting Roman coins, I asked about buying it back, but unsurprisingly, its new owner held on tight. The second and third ones (both bought in 2012 for my "Twelve Caesars" set) had run-ins with bronze disease, which was extremely frustrating. Funny how the only two coins I've had bronze disease problems with were both tough Caligulas! (Call it "The Curse of Caligula".) I had to stretch a little bit above my customary $500 budget ceiling to grab this fourth one. It's a pretty nice piece, almost comparable to my first one, I guess, though it cost me twice as much. I like the patina.

This is a popular type, since it's readily available, though demand keeps the prices strong. In any grades much higher than this, these VESTA bronzes will typically command pricetags over $1,000, and you'll need even deeper pockets if you want any of Caligula's silver. He is of course historically infamous as one of the really crazy baddies. The Romans had more than their share. It might have had something to do with all that lead they consumed in their food and wine. Like many of Rome's tyrants, Caligula eventually ended up on the wrong end of one or more bladed weapons.

NGC cert verification page

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.
It was originally part of my "Twelve Caesars" Roman collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    LordM,

I must commend you on this piece. You have a really nice eye for all things, but I think I have noticed it more with your recent refocus on ancients. I think this is an excellent addition to your box.