Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Let's play the "guess my newp" game

I just acquired a longtime Darkside forum member's signature coin.

In fact, his forum name AND eBay name derive from this coin (or from someone/something featured on the coin).

I had to part with some of MY favorites in the deal, of course.

But I never would have imagined I would own his signature piece. This is tantamount to me selling my entire "Holey Gold Hat" to somebody.

I first admired this coin of his 19 years ago. He posted pictures of it here in 2007, and they do not do it justice at all. I might have to see if PCGS will TrueView it.

So who's the forum member, and what's the coin? image

(Edited to add pictures):

My scans:

The previous owner's photos:

His photos are more accurate in terms of surface detail. My scans are a bit more accurate on color (surprisingly), but neither image is 100% accurate. This coin will be going off to PCGS for TrueView treatment.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aethelred penny.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, apparently that wasn't as challenging as I guessed it might be.

The Shroom nailed it, in the first go.

Michael's 2007 reimaging of the coin still does not do it justice.

It has a lot of iridescent blue/green to it, and he has said he suffers from some form of green color blindness.

This one is due for another reimaging, but I'm not the person to do it.

Will PCGS grade an Anglo-Saxon penny this early? If so, it will be going off for a different slab and a TrueView picture.

It's obvious it's a hoard coin, though we don't know which hoard.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too easy Rob, especially for an old timer like me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Stunning piece indeed.

I still think you need that yap piece as discussed in old threads.
  • Options

<< <i>Stunning piece indeed.

I still think you need that yap piece as discussed in old threads. >>

Yeah, but if I get a piece of Yap money, how am I gonna get it slabbed? I don't see that fitting into my current "Box of 20" set, somehow. Unless they made small change Yap fractionals by drilling holes in flat, thin pebbles! image

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Will PCGS grade an Anglo-Saxon penny this early? If so, it will be going off for a different slab and a TrueView picture.

I have a graded London mint S-1151 Penny in PCGS plastic. It's not TrueView'd, but I can post the Secure+ pic if you'd like.
  • Options

<< <i>Will PCGS grade an Anglo-Saxon penny this early? If so, it will be going off for a different slab and a TrueView picture.

I have a graded London mint S-1151 Penny in PCGS plastic. It's not TrueView'd, but I can post the Secure+ pic if you'd like. >>

Thank you! Please do!

• Options
    Thank you! Please do!

The peck marks seem to be ignored by PCGS when assigning the grade.
  • Options
    Oh, wow, yours is awesome, too! What is the grade? Got a slab picture, out of curiosity? I'm interested in seeing the label, too.

Yours appears to be as iridescent as mine, though more red-orange than blue-green, as mine is. Obviously another hoard coin.

• Options
    The pic really captures the color. Hopefully a TrueView will do the same for yours.

I don't have a pic of the slab ... my photography skills are terrible.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your newp, Rob-man image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE