Home Sports Talk
Options

Better first baseman: Todd Helton or Will Clark?

There is another thread up about Todd Helton's chances of making the Hall of Fame. I'll compare him to another first baseman of recent vintage, Will Clark. Will has a slightly higher OPS+ (actually Will has a higher OPS+ than a good chunk of the Hall of Fame), had a gaudy OBP, hit like a boss in the postseason, and left at the top of his game. Has any player ever left with a stronger last couple of months at age 36?
Helton has a higher batting average, an even gaudier OBP, and more homers. But, there is that dreaded ballpark factor. Clark played roughly half his career home games in Candlestick Park, whereas Helton is in Coor's Field. My personal opinion is that if they were in the same exact situation, Will Clark would be the better player? Your opinions?
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    If the only criteria was their swing, Will would be a no-brainer. I always failed miserably trying to replicate it.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    Will The Thrill is a better ball player.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Will Clark batted in 3,622 at bats at home ( SF , Tex and Balt ) , .309 vs .297 away , with a slugging of .514 vs. .478 away . He hit lightly more home runs at home with 155 vs. 129 in slightly less playing time.

Helton on the other hand was much like Jim Rice , a product of his home ball park . Helton batted .350 with 216 Home runs and a .613 slugging . On the road he batted .289 with 138 Home runs and a .475 slugging .

I believe that Clark could've put a glove on his other hand and fielded better than Helton .

One can believe what one chooses to believe , just don't let reality get in the way , if you don't care for the results .---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a casual observer who doesn't get into scientific equasions of players stats I think this is a no brainer. Will Clark by a wide margin.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    will the thrill was better
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    And if Will the thrill isn't making the Hall, I would put Todd Helton's chances at roughly zero.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i> My personal opinion is that if they were in the same exact situation, Will Clark would be the better player? Your opinions? >>

The one who was better in the different situations they did experience is the one who would be better in identical situations

Always though Will Clark or Keith Hernandez was a tough choice
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO BRAINER........Will Clark!!!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan I was always worried about playing against Will. Todd Helton not so much.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Will Clark so much better. Helton has ZERO chance of making the HOF in my opinion.