Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

EBay, FINAL HOURS- most of my "Holey Coin Vest" collection

I've had fun with this "world famous" trademark collection of mine, which was featured in the center spread of Numismatic News once, and mentioned in Coin World twice. Basically, I'll be selling off the stuff on my Holey Coin Vest, starting with the US stuff first and the world coins later.

I'm not totally giving up my trademark look, though- I'll be keeping the Holey Gold Hat, and for the time being, my love token collection, as well. Basically I intend to turn some of the nongold holeys into a few more holey gold pieces for the hat. I'm downsizing, in other words.

Starting with the US material just listed, the highlights include a Connecticut copper, a double-headed (ca. 1783) Washington cent, a Fugio cent, an UNC details Flying Eagle cent (BU but holed!), a 20-cent piece, a Draped Bust quarter, a Seated dollar, a Trade dollar, a sharp Feuchtwanger cent, and many others.

Some are just your typical humble holeys, but there's some nice stuff there, if you ain't afraid of a little hole or two! image

Do please have a look! All are 99c-start auctions with no reserve and free shipping.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - that's a big step - nice stuff!!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked! (and I HATE 10 day auctions!)image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm shocked! (and I HATE 10 day auctions!)image >>

Ditto on the ten day auctions, and I wonder if you had filled a DANSCO with these and listed the history of your endeavors it would have garnered more.
    I know I would have been a strong bidder as I think a holed type set would be startling cool.

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    OMG!!!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang ... sorry to hear the vest is being disassembled. Although I never saw it, I really liked the idea!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    I'd have given the entire vest ten days on here before disassembling it and taking it to ebay.

But I'm a lousy business woman, so what do I know?
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    It's the end of an era...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outta curiosity, why the antipathy towards ten-day auctions? That's the first I've heard. Never really thought about it.

If I were to think about it, as a bidder, I guess I'd have to say, yeah, I generally might prefer a 3- or 7-day auction to a 10-day myself, but since I do a lot of my bidding with sniping software, it never really made that big a difference to me. And as a seller, I've always been of the mind that another three days of exposure and potential bids is a good thing. Now that they don't charge any more for 10-day auctions, I use that format.

<< <i>I'd have given the entire vest ten days on here before disassembling it and taking it to ebay. >>

The fact is, the vest was already disassembled, and has been for more than a year, ever since I had the coins photographed. I don't go to shows anymore, so it hasn't been used as a "numismatic fashion accessory" for more than five years. And my interests have changed. I might give it away later (holey coin buttons and fishing swivels attached), or repurpose it for a love token collection.

For my "Holey of Holeys" schtick, though, I'm keeping the hat. Hanging on to the gold makes sense. The rest was fun, but I see no real reason to keep it anymore, particularly if I can turn it into something else that fits one of my more active collections.

The back of the vest used to be an almost complete date set of US large cents, but I sold that earlier in the year. This US material that's up presently is only about a third of the remaining collection. There are still a whole lot more world coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Outta curiosity, why the antipathy towards ten-day auctions? That's the first I've heard. Never really thought about it. >>

Too long to wait to see if you won the item(s) or not.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I bid on a few. Cool stuff, to say the least. Classics!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I hope the coins from the classic toilet seat remain encased. We have to draw the line somewhere.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a true coin ICON being broken up!!! I hope you do well on your auctions... I know I'm watching a couple!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, all.

We're moving into the final hours now, at least on the US material.

Some of the world coins will be ending in the following 24 hours, and there are a few others I still haven't gotten around to listing yet.

• Options
    Since you are selling just the coins on your vest, one could say that you are divesting.

Good luck.