Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chopmarks on 8R's

Since I'm new to this, what can I expect the effect of Chinese & East Indian chopmarks on an 8R to be? I have am 1804 Mo. TH 8R that's been graded by ANACS as VF-30. I got it for a steal, but I'm unsure what upward (or downward) effect the chopmarks would have.
Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I dont mind chopmarks - but they are post-mint damage.

I would much rather have a chopmarked coin than a cleaned, bent, hairlines, holed, plugged, tooled, etc etc etc coin.

Although it is worth noting that PCGS sometimes grades chopmarked US Trade dollars with a numerical grade - noting "chopmarks" on the insert.

-Kev
  • Options
    I can see where they add value, though -- these are marks that were relatively contemporary with the coin, and connect it with an entirely separate market. It turns the coin's story into something more interesting than usual.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are different types of chopmarks and depending on what kind you have - they might be highly collectible. I have seen ink chops and large punch-type with incuse types sell pretty well.

Pics?
  • Options
    I'll try and get pics up today. Most of the chops (there are about 10 in all) are chinese characters, about 2 mm tall. The others are pictographs of about 1-2 mm, mostly stars, flowers, or basic shapes.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    Here's a pic. Some of the chopmarks are shallow, so the only way I could capture them was to flood the coin with light. I swear it doesn't look this washed-out in hand:

Yes, I do sell on Ebay