Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need some advice, you guessed it, ebay.

So I am watching an auction that ends later tonight. The seller has 3 feedback which is no problem (we all started from some where) but there is a person that has placed 2 bids in the last 3 days and has retracted both bids with the excuse entered wrong amount. He/she was the only one to bid on this item. I am asking what would you think? Somebody messing with the seller? Seller fishing for some bids to run up the price? Buyer going back and forth about buying item?

I would like to buy this item, but have never seen somebody retract 2 bids on an item that they were the only one to bid on this item.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    post the link.
  • Options

Sorry Larry,

I don't know how to post a link. If you go on ebay and search Eric Lindros stick you will find it. It's the one with the seller that has 3 feedback.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link:

Text
    Daniel
  • Options

Thanks for posting the link BaltimoreYankee. I need to learn how to do that.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny,

I got these instructions from Marc (Foo3112) awhile ago and they've worked very well for me....

"First, copy the url

Then go back into your message/post comment box and click on the first icon that says http. A box will open and delete whats in there already - then paste your url in that box and click "ok".

Another box just like the last will appear - delete whatevers in that one and now write whatever you want - for example - you can wright "Link" and then hit ok.

Then finish posting your comment and you're done".

I might add: hit "preview" before you post so you can try the link yourself. I'm very low-tech but these instructions work well for me.
    Daniel
  • Options

Thanks Daniel.
  • Options
    Interesting! If the bidder was new to ebay maybe he makes a couple of mistakes but this bidder has over 100 feedback. Yet, if he was shill bidding wouldn't he leave 1 bid to force somebody over it? I guess what it comes down to is if you are confident in the item place a snipe and definitely pay by credit card. If it's no good you can deny charges.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options

D,

I see what you are saying. I don't have a snipe account, but will be home when the auction ends. I have never seen this before and am just wondering whats going on. Maybe this bidder is trying to scare off other bids? The seller had a opening with a buy it now. I think I will put a low bid in to see if he/she comes back, or maybe wait till the last seconds to make a bid. IDK.
  • Options
    Good luck with your bid. I use GavelSnipe.com. Easy to set up and it's free. I've won auctions with it without hit the refresh button 50 times; just set it and forget it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bidder has 39 bid retractions in the last 6 months. Ebay needs to do something about these guys.
    James
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The bidder has 39 bid retractions in the last 6 months. Ebay needs to do something about these guys.
    James >>

Maybe ebay could institute a bid retraction fee...yeah thats coming
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it brings in revenue, eBay might do it. Right or wrong means little.

I hate bid retractions.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    radmanradman Posts: 89 ✭✭
    does eBay limit retractions? If not, why tally them? If so, what is the limit? obviously above 39?
  • Options
    I could understand a couple bid retractions in 6 months, heck maybe a heavy drinker and they mess up once a month if they buy a lot. But 39? Seriously? That is just ludicrous!!!

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"