Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

FSHO: 1952 Proof Set in Consecutive PCGS Rattlers w/ "scarce" Hand Engraved FS-902 Superbi

Picked up this 1952 proof set recently. Thought it was cool that it was in the old rattler slabs and that they had consecutively numbered serial numbers. Also thought it was pretty neat that the quarter was the "Superbird" variety. In looking at the Cherrypicker's Guide, it appears it is also the FS-902 variety w/ the hand engraved tail feather detail, though that can't really be seen in my photos. The Cherrypicker's Guide says this version of the Superbird is a later die state that is far scarcer than the earlier die states with only the Superbird feature. Unfortunately, the Cherrypicker's Guide provides no pricing information on the FS-902 variety, and I could find no auction results... probably because it appears that only two examples of the FS-902 variety have been attributed by PCGS to date, the highest being a PR65. Additional details and photos of the FS-902 variety (which match the coin I have here) can be found here:

LINK

I know people always say this with rattler slabs and OGH slabs in general, but several of these coins really do look better than the grade on the label. A few of the coins have some light rim toning and with the exception of one tiny spot on the obverse of the Nickel and one even smaller on the reverse of the Half, the coins are spot free. I'm very tempted to send the Superbird in for variety attribution to confirm the FS-902 variety and to try to make the top pop (or at a minimum tie the PR65 for the top spot). But I also think it's cool to keep this set in the old rattlers.

$600 shipped for the set. Please let me know if you have any questions.

***PRICE REDUCED 4/10 - $500 shipped

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

And here's a close up shot of the reverse of the "Superbird" quarter:

Just kidding image here it is:

Comments