Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why would someone put coins they don't own into their Registry?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, odd story here.

I have a 1937 P, D and S set of Texas commems, I've owned it since 1995; long before the Registry was in place.

I recently decided to start putting some coins into the Registry, and those three coins bounced with an error that stated that they were already in the registry, someone else has them listed. I looked at them in the Registry lookup but they are masked as to not allow public viewing as to who owns them.

Why would someone do that? They had to have sold them at least 6 years before the Registry was put in place (I'm assuming 2001 was the Registry start date).

At this point, I'm waiting the requisite 3 days for them to reply back to the "registry command", then I guess I'll send in pics of those three coins in their plastic suits.

I just can't comprehend why someone would do this. Oh, by the way, these are NOT pop-tops, they are MS64, probably not winning anyone a lot of points here.

Comments

• Options
    Probably just forgot they were there & lost interest in the registry. PCGS will add htem for you. Just scan them & e-mail the pics to them.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ego is also a problem. Sorta like 4 year olds running around saying "Look at me Look at me!!"

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    i thought ppl did it for points, right?
  • Options
    Interesting. I am suprised they even remembered the cert. number, when the registry started.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. I am suprised they even remembered the cert. number, when the registry started. >>

He doesn't know if it was the same person or not.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting. I am suprised they even remembered the cert. number, when the registry started. >>

He doesn't know if it was the same person or not. >>

Correct, I have no idea who registered these, but they registered 3 (consecutive) numbers so unless they were really lucky guesses, I think they had to be the former owner. Which makes it weird that they would register some coins years after they sold them.