Coin Photographers, how do you set up your lights?
Options
AnkurJ
Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
I recently got a copy stand that has a table(?) thats quite large. I have two gooseneck lamps with 75W PAR30 halogen bulbs. With the stand I have been having trouble getting the lighting angle right. Toners are showing too many dark areas. How do you set up your lights related to the camera/coin? If anyone has a photo of thier setup, I would love to see it!
Thanks,
AJ
Thanks,
AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
0
Comments
-
Set your lights up at 10 and 2 o'clock. If you wish to use three lights then add 12 o'clock. Make sure that your light source is as close to you lens as possible for proof or unc coins. If you are photographing circulated coins take the light out, away from the lens, paying particular attention to the direction of your light source onto the surface of the coin. Good luck!. -Dan0
-
Also, pay particular attention to change the manual settings on your camera as you change the light direction. And be sure to change the white balance to the appropriate settings according to the light source you are using.0
-
When you say close to the lens, the lights will be directly over the coin/slab correct?All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!0 -
<< <i>When you say close to the lens, the lights will be directly over the coin/slab correct? >>
That how I do it actully clamped the goose neck lamps to the camera mounting head myself. Just have to make sure you don't overheat camera or lens short duration or move out as much as possible and angle back to coin..My Current project....https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/album/1607940 -
Ankur,
Below is a photo of my set-up, though it's been relocated to table.
Lights should be set up high, close to the camera, but not above it (light entering the viewfinder can affect exposure).
You have to play around with it. No one set-up works for all coins. Over time you will get better at light placement, number of lights, etc. But generally speaking, light coming from 10 and 2 o'clock works well.
Lance.
Coin Photography Services / Everyman Registry set / BHNC #2130 -
I start with two somewhat diffuse lamps at 10:00 and 2:00 at a somewhat high angle, but you'll want to adjust them depending on the coin.John
Keeper of the VAM Catalog • Professional Coin Imaging • Prime Number Set • World Coins in Early America • British Trade Dollars • Variety Attribution0 -
<< <i>Ankur,
Below is a photo of my set-up, though it's been relocated to table.
Lights should be set up high, close to the camera, but not above it (light entering the viewfinder can affect exposure).
You have to play around with it. No one set-up works for all coins. Over time you will get better at light placement, number of lights, etc. But generally speaking, light coming from 10 and 2 o'clock works well.
Lance.
>>
Being a noob, I think the key point that is not stressed enough, is that your camera tethered to your computer is a must or save your money and send your coins to Todd, its a hey of lot cheaper!
This my ethnically engineered set up. You can see the coin in the monitor in the back ground. Moving lights around is key. 2 coins , same MM will not look exactly the same
that quickly produces pics like this;
The pics in the set in my signature is a work in progress. The best pics were taken recently and lousiest were taken when I first got the camera set up and running.0 -
From the photos, I think that is the look (of the set-up) I was trying to avoid. But I also think that that is what is necessary.
Tom
0 -
<< <i>Ankur,
Below is a photo of my set-up, though it's been relocated to table.
Lights should be set up high, close to the camera, but not above it (light entering the viewfinder can affect exposure).
You have to play around with it. No one set-up works for all coins. Over time you will get better at light placement, number of lights, etc. But generally speaking, light coming from 10 and 2 o'clock works well.
Lance.
>>
Lance, Please don't tell me you've been crawling around on the floor! Only a young man could do this for any length of time
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.0 -
Rlarick, that copy stand seems kind of small for a heavy DSLR, is it sturdy? I dont think its a must to have your computer and camera attached though it helps. Using live mode works well.
I just took a few quick shots. Its all about light angle and positiong, and I realized I replaced one of my bulbs with a spot rather than floodlight. I dont have issues with blast white coins, just very colorful ones. I dont like the dark areas on these. Just have to play around with the light positioning I suppose. I had better luck with a simple tripod, might have to go back to that.
The kennedy has much more green than the images show.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!0
Leave a Comment
Categories
- All Categories
- 520.1K Coins and Currency - PCGS
- 328.6K U.S. Coin Forum
- 14.8K PCGS Set Registry Forum
- 5.2K Q & A Forum
- 41.4K World & Ancient Coins Forum
- 3K U.S. & World Currency Forum
- 96.4K Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
- 7.3K Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
- 1.5K Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
- 61 Random
- 246.2K Trading Cards, Autographs and Memorabilia - PSA
- 90.3K Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
- 1.7K Autographs Forum
- 16.4K PSA Set Registry Forum
- 22K Sports Talk
- 115K Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
- 663 Buy, Sell & Trade - Autographs
- 2.2K Stamps
- 1.5K Stamps Forum
- 670 Buy, Sell & Trade - Stamps
- 83 Coin Shows
- 83 General Coin Show Information and Discussion
- 11.9K Misc
- 11.9K Testing Forum



