Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Non-PCGS Coins now allowed in your PCGS Registry "Inventory" but not in your Sets.

I have not read the details just yet but the PCGS Registry will now allow you to add non-PCGS graded coins to your inventory!

Quick details show that the PCGS Set Registry is still restricted to PCGS Graded coins only.

It's a start.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what exactly is allowed in the Registry per these rules?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think it changes the registry at all but it can help with inventory of your coins. I like this.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure hope they reload all the FS #'s that are now missing....

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Here's the details ...

"Now From the PCGS Set Registry…A Great Way to Track Your Coins…All of Them!

Dear PCGS Set Registry Member,
    The PCGS Set Registry was created to help you keep track of your coins, and to provide a way to have fun comparing your coins and your collection with other collectors. The “My Inventory” part of the PCGS Set Registry also provides a way to keep track of the current market prices for your coins. We want to make it possible for you to keep track of all your coins…whether they are PCGS graded, raw (ungraded), or graded by some other grading service. So we’re launching a major expansion of the inventory tracking part of the PCGS Set Registry.
    Now you can put all of your coins into your own very private online inventory. And since all the coins are tied to the prices listed in the PCGS Price Guide, you can track the value of your coin portfolio/collection and know exactly when their prices change. It’s designed to be very personal and very specific to your coins. As an added feature, if you don’t like the price in the PCGS Price Guide you can put in your own price. With this new feature to the PCGS Set Registry you can take advantage of all the work we’ve put into the PCGS Price Guide in the past 15 years and the 212,000 coin prices that are listed in the PCGS Price Guide. And you don’t have to use the pricing for just the coins that appear in your online Set Registry collection listings. You can use the “My Inventory” section of the PCGS Set Registry to keep track of all of your coins!
    How It Works
    When you log in to My Set Registry, you now have the ability to add non-PCGS graded coins to your inventory. In this way, you can track your entire coin collection with your costs, market prices, sources and personal notes. Besides using the PCGS Set Registry to build your sets, our updated software gives you a safe place to consolidate all of your coins. You’ll find the enhanced inventory program in the PCGS Set Registry a valuable tool for all your collecting needs.
    To begin adding your non-PCGS graded inventory, go to Add Inventory and scroll down the page. (Note that sets in the PCGS Set Registry remain exclusive to PCGS coins.) You have two ways to add coins:
    1) Add one coin at a time in the “Add non-PCGS item” form. If you use a PCGS coin number, the Date, Variety, Denomination and Country will be filled in for you. You can sort for PCGS coin numbers by typing the date in the Search box which appears on the top right side of the form. Providing the denomination further refines your search. When you locate your coin, click on the item and it will fill in the PCGS No. box, Date, Variety and Denomination for you. Add your numeric grade to the grade box and any of the other options.

If you are unable to locate a PCGS number, you can add your coins without them. Simply fill in the form, ignoring the PCGS No. box.

2) Add multiple coins using a CSV file. If you have large numbers of coins and use a spreadsheet program, you can import multiple coins using a CSV file (comma delimited). At the bottom of the Add Inventory page, you’ll find a link to a sample CSV file. This file will allow you to import from the same file both PCGS graded items using a certification number and non-PCGS graded items using either a PCGS number or using any of the other columns. If you use this form, simply save it to your hard drive and import it when you are ready.

If you create your own file, your columns can be in any order, just be certain to spell the column headers exactly as they appear here: CertNo, PCGSNo, Date, Variety, Denom, Grade, Cost, Value, PurchaseDate, Source, Comments, Notes, Country. If you are importing just PCGS graded coins, the only column header you need is CertNo. If you are adding non-PCGS graded coins, the only column header that is needed is PCGSNo although you are not required to list a PCGS number. Just leave the row blank if you do not have the number.

3) My Inventory features. If you use PCGS numbers to add your coins to My Inventory, those coins will sort in the default sort. In addition, those items will be linked to PCGS CoinFacts. If you have added grades to those items prior to importing, prices from the PCGS Price Guide will be pulled into the Current Value column. Note that these prices are based on PCGS graded items and are only indications of price based on your assumed grade. If you add items without PCGS numbers, those items will not sort in the default sort. However, if you later add a PCGS number to your coin in My Inventory, the item will be updated and sort in the proper order, will link to CoinFacts, and will pull a price based on its grade from the PCGS Price Guide.

We’ve added a few additional features in My Inventory:

a) Filtering will yield the costs and prices for those filtered coins, rather than your entire inventory.
    b) In My Preferences, you can adjust what format you would like to show for your cost column in My Inventory, i.e. with/without $ signs, cents, commas.
    c) We have added a “Personal Notes” column. These notes are for your own personal use and are not shown to the public. To add this to your page view, click on Select Columns and select.
    d) You can now view and edit Owner’s Comments and Personal Notes in a larger pop-up box by clicking the “Expand” button by each comment or note.

This is the second phase of updates to the Registry software designed to give you an even more enjoyable experience managing your collection. In the coming months, you will see additional exciting developments including the ability to categorize your inventory including PCGS coins which you have sold.

Should you get stuck, the Help boxes on the Add Inventory page have been updated with instructions. If you find something not working the way you think it should, please email us and we’ll resolve the problem as quickly as we can. As always, if you have any suggestions or feedback, we’d love to hear from you. Thanks for your participation in the PCGS Set Registry!

Sincerely,

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager"
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw and NON-PCGS Coins are allowed for Inventory purposes ONLY. NON-PCGS graded Coins will NEVER be allowed in The PCGS Registry Sets. This has been stated more than once by David Hall & Don Willis image

And this is the way it SHOULD be image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I think this is a great opportunity for me to add all my RAW Lincoln cents to the PCGS Inventory file where my complete set of Lincoln cents can be monitored by me. I currently have the slabbed coins in the PCGS Inventory file and my Raw coins in a separate Excel spreadsheet. Now I can put them all together. Thanks PCGS!
    Steveimage
  • Options
    I was really excited until I tried using it. It's too buggy to upload anything right now. The individual uploads flat-out fail, pretending to upload and then acting as though nothing happened. The CSV format is at least trying to work, but Excel keeps promising to fix anything incompatible with the format only to have the uploads still fail because something wasn't formatted right.

I really like the concept--being able to inventory at least privately our NGC coins, and for that matter raw, ANACS, ICG, and any objections. Here's a few things I would like to see, that would keep the spirit of the thing:

1. Work. That's kind of a given. If I'm doing something wrong, then shame on me, but I'm doing what it looks like I'm supposed to be doing, and the site isn't. So, something needs to be fixed. I don't mean to be gripy about a free gift, but it's disappointing when it comes out of the box broken.

2. Allow us to show our coins in the registry. A set could even approach being complete. (But, it would not have to be eligible for free grades until it's 90% complete with PCGS-graded coins.) The coins could be worth zero points, the way GENUINE coins are worth only one point each. But, at least this way we could show a completed collection as finished, even if it's half-filled with the other guys.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Hi Scott,

Having been through this countless times over the last ten years, I can tell you that no matter how much time you spend testing in the test environment, invariably there will be problems after a rollout in the live environment. Rest assured we are working to quickly address all issues.

Earlier today, we noticed that the varieties had disappeared from inventory which was already loaded. That problem has been resolved; however, there are a couple of other issues that have popped up. For example, grades are missing on previously loaded inventory.

This evening, there will be some updates processed to resolve these issues. These updates may cause the system to be slow or unresponsive. If this occurs, just wait for a bit for things to return to normal.

I just tested the csv file import and it is working without any problems. If you find you are still having an issue with it, please email me your spreadsheet so I can see if you have it formatted correctly.

Thanks in advance for your patience. You should see most everything running smoothly by tomorrow.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    Thank you, BJ. It's working now.

I appreciate this service, and I again do not wish to gripe too much about a service that is totally complimentary and for gratis.

I do find it of interest that it allows all non-PCGS coins without favoring specifically one service. I can even inventory raw coins with my own attempts at grading.

Edit: additional comments:

Although you remain committed to allowing only PCGS coins in the registry sets themselves, I do see that you're allowing non-PCGS coins to appear in showcases. Thanks for this feature! This provides a way to showcase custom sets, finished or still in progress, in which some of the holes are filled with NGC coins. It is pretty much the next best thing to my suggestion, or a workaround to anyone wanting what it would entail. And, it does not interfere with the Set Registry's commitment to PCGS-exclusivity where competition is concerned.

I'm grateful for your responses to feedback; features like "View PCGS era" are wonderful and creative solutions to some pretty heated emotional issues. Now, if we could get you into Congress!
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Lyds - how about changing your title ?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lyds - how about changing your title ? >>

+1
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Hi Scott,

I really hate to disappoint you after reading your wonderful comments, but allowing non-PCGS coins in the showcase won't last very long. It's a hole that will be plugged by tomorrow. I guess you could call it a flip-flop, although the hole was completely unintentional. I guess I won't be elected to Congress after all!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Scott,

I really hate to disappoint you after reading your wonderful comments, but allowing non-PCGS coins in the showcase won't last very long. It's a hole that will be plugged by tomorrow. I guess you could call it a flip-flop, although the hole was completely unintentional. I guess I won't be elected to Congress after all! >>

_______________________________________________________________________________________

It would seem that all is right once again in the universe,,,,,, The Collectors Universe image that is image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Title of this thread completely inaccurate. Glad Lyds is wrong on this one.

You can now store non PCGS data in your inventory section. >>

How's that whiner?

And technically speaking, the thread title was correct since you CAN add non-PCGS graded coins to your PCGS SET REGISTRY since the "My Inventory" feature is a part of the "SET REGISTRY". DUH! image

If folks choose to read the title with their own interpretations then thats their problem and perhaps they should read the entire thread starting with the first post which stated:

"Quick details show that the PCGS Set Registry is still restricted to PCGS Graded coins only."
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Well, it was fun while it lasted. My raws will eventually get into PCGS holders, and I can at least personally assure my NGC-graded coins that they're loved, too, even if I don't get to show them off here. Thanks, still, for letting me inventory them.

As for flip-flopping and elected officials, well, we're all used to it!