Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yankees vs Tigers 1956 video... recent update. Prayers needed for Mom (see post 09/14/2020)

1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2020 6:37PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
I think this was posted on these boards a few years ago.....

video

Comments

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Cool, thanks for sharing, never seen it before

PS a little quiz
    Something a modern player will NEVER do*!! (*since 1958 Bonds and Brett did it once ea., Pujols has a slight chance)

Name the player in that game who had more Homeruns than Strikeouts that season (1956), and he did it a total of 6 times in his career?

One of my favorite players of All Time....... and very underrated as a pure contact/power hitter image
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I wanna say Musial. I'm probably wrong.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    "...in that game..."

nm, I can't read.

I'm pretty shocked at the answer.
  • Options
    image Most are
  • Options
    Love it....
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. That was great!

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for sharing.The Ballpark brings back so many memories.Watching that reminds me of sitting up in the bleachers at Briggs/Tiger Stadium.

Youre quiz Could it have been Bill Skowron???
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Re: Quiz I'll guess Kaline?
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Cool video...I'm also surprised at the answer...wonder if his position helped him know what was being called a strike vs. ball by the ump on any given day?
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I bet he has a quote that says "I almost never struck out when I hit a homer."
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Well, I sent the link to my mom, who grew up in Saginaw and she LOVED it! She grew up a baseball fan and still knows alot about the old-time players. I will post her response but it probably sounds corney to most but I lover her!! image (sorry it's all in caps and kinda runs together but that's how she sent it)....I also think she's wrong about the year cuz Trout wasn't playing for the Tigers in 56 but earlier

DEAR CLAUDE RAY—
    I TURNED ON YOUTUBE TODAY, AND WATCHED A GRAINY, YELLOWED 8 MM FILM FROM THE THIRD BASE LINE AT BRIGGS STADIUM, AND SUDDENLY I WAS A GIRL AGAIN, TRANSPORTED TO A DIFFERENT TIME WHEN THE WORLD WAS MELLOW AND I WAS 20 AND IN LOVE WITH THE WHOLE TIGER BALL TEAM. THERE WAS AL KALINE, HANDSOME AND 21 AND ONE OF MY HEROES…AND HE HIT A DOUBLE AND THEN—EUREKA!—A HOMER.
    MICKEY MANTLE OF THE YANKEES DIDN’T DO ENOUGH TO STOP MY BELOVED TIGERS FROM WINNING THE GAME. IT WASN’T A GAME I ATTENDED, THAT AUGUST DAY IN 1956. WHEN I DID GO TO A GAME IN 1956, AN 80 MILE TRIP FROM MY HOMETOWN OF SAGINAW, I HAD A VIEW, FROM THE FIRST BASE LINE NEAR THE TIGER DUGOUT, WHEN MY DAD AND COUSIN ETHLYN AND I ATTENDED .THERE WAS WALTER O. BRIGGS, IN HIS FAMOUS STRAW HAT, SITTING NEAR THE DUGOUT. HE’S IN THIS GRAINY OLD MOVIE, BUT IN MY MIND, I’M THERE AGAIN, SMELLING THE POP CORN, HEARING THE BANTER, WATCHING THE AUDIENCE APPLAUD AS THE TIGERS OUTDID THEMSELVES.

YEP, DAD HAD GOTTEN SUPER SEATS ON THE FIRST BASE LINE. DON LARSON WASN’T THE PITCHER THAT DAY, DIZZY TROUT WAS. THERE WERE ALL THE TIGER PLAYERS ON DECK, MILLING AROUND, KICKING SOD OFF THEIR CLEATS, SPITTING TOBACCO, WAITING TO GET ON BASE. THE PITCHERS WERE OUT IN THE BULL PEN, WARMING UP, BECAUSE THE NEW YORK PITCHER WASN’T DOING SO WELL. THE TIGERS WON THAT DAY, TOO, AND VIRGIL TRUCKS STOPPED A COUPLE OF LINE DRIVES AND I DRANK IT ALL IN.
    WATCHING THIS LITTLE 8MM MOVIE FROM THAT BEAUTIFUL DAY BROUGHT IT ALL BACK TO ME. MY DAD HAD GONE TO A LOT OF TROUBLE AND A LOT OF EXPENSE TO MAKE HIS DAUGHTER HAPPY ON THE JULY DAY IN AND WE MOTORED ON TO DETROIT. THE GRITTY STREETS SHOW IN THE FILM, THE HONKY-TONKS AND POOL HALLS WERE ALL THERE OUTSIDE THE STADIUM. IT WAS SHIRTSLEEVE WEATHER IN MICHIGAN, BREEZES COMING IN FROM LAKE ST. CLAIR WAFTEDOVER THE CITY, MIXED WITH THE SMOG OF INDUSTRY AND COAL AND OIL BURNERS FROM THE FACTORIES. I REMEMBER IT AS PERFUME, THE SYMBOL OF STRENGTH AND MIGHT OF THE BIG CITY, THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE OF A STATE ON THE MOVE.
    MICHIGAN WAS A POWER HOUSE BACK THEN, LED BY HANDSOME GOVERNOR G. MENNEN “SOAPY” WILLIAMS, HEIR TO THE AFTERSHAVE FORTUNE. THERE WAS NOTHING TO WORRY US. WORLD WAR II WAS OVER AND LIFE WAS GOOD AND WE EMBRACED IT.
    BASEBALL WAS
    TRULY THE PEOPLE’S SPORT. WE LOVED IT ALL.
    Mama Carol.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    1966CUDA'

Tell your Mom that was an AWESOME email! You can feel the excitement in her writing, the joy she felt that day. Beautifully done, thanks for sharing that with us. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice video, thanks for the link...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In watching Don Larsen's perfect game a few months ago, a couple things really stood out to me:

1) When the players went "around the horn" after an infield out, the first throw was from 1B to the catcher. Never seen that before.

2) The next batter was already up to the plate and ready to go by the time the throws were completed. The pace of the game was just sooo much faster. Sure would be nice if they would move that quickly in today's game.

Tabe
  • Options
    Just talked to mom last nite...she says she KNOWS Dimaggio was playing cuz she was in love with him! She says it was probably his last season in 1951 (not '56 like her email said)....she would have been 16 years old.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Cuda, having a mom that loves baseball like that and can remember Dizzy Trout and what the Tigers owner liked to wear to the game... You are one of the luckiest people in the world.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cuda, having a mom that loves baseball like that and can remember Dizzy Trout and what the Tigers owner liked to wear to the game... You are one of the luckiest people in the world. >>

My mom probably couldn't tell you anybody who played for the '84 Tigers other than maybe Alan Trammell or Kirk Gibson. She might be able to tell you that Sparky Anderson was the manager. But she LOVED the Baseball Hall of Fame when we went there in 1980 and she's grown to enjoy sports quite a bit. But what I remember is that she couldn't really catch or throw a baseball but she insisted on playing catch with me in the backyard because I didn't have anybody around to play with. She eventually got so she could catch pretty much anything and would play catcher for me so I could pitch and keep my arm in shape (I was 10-11 at the time). She even would get mad at me if I didn't throw hard to her.

Good times!

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>I bet he has a quote that says "I almost never struck out when I hit a homer." >>

Haha exactly image
  • Options
    Just found this old thread I had started. The video of the game is pretty cool. And MOM is still pretty cool too! image
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1966CUDA'

Tell your Mom that was an AWESOME email! You can feel the excitement in her writing, the joy she felt that day. Beautifully done, thanks for sharing that with us. image >>

Yes! FANTASTIC to read...first hand accounts are great, I felt as if I were there. Thank you for sharing!
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    I just love this video...when baseball was THE sport!! Well, I was just at my parents house today for a visit. Dad is 83 and Mom is 78..and Mom still has so many neat memories of baseball in the 50's. I dug thru my posts to find this posting and let her watch the video again. She loved it and said it still brings up her many memories of growing up then and learning about baseball thru her father (there were no boys..just mom & her sister). I still dig out my older cards from the 50's and go thru them with her from time to time and quiz her on players and teams...she still remembers a lot of them!! Thanks Mom! ... and Dad too. 53 years together and still going! image
  • Options

Well, I am updating this post I started in 2010 because you had all read about my Mom and her love of baseball. If you are the praying kind of person, I am reaching out for prayers for Mom (and Dad too). Dad has COPD that he deals with daily and Mom was just in the hospital with a liver problem that kept her in the hospital from Dec. 23 until Dec 30. She had a routine blood test that showed her liver wasn't working properly. The put a shunt in her bile duct and the liver seems to be working as it should now, BUT.. they think the area may be cancerous. Mom has to have a biopsy to determine if it is, but the oncologist believes it is, base on the small sample they took when they put the shunt in. So prayers are welcome!! Thanks- C lauce

• Options

oops. Claude, not Clauce.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Sorry to here this, prayers for your Mom on a healthy recovery!!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers sent your way!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Figured I would update once again since it's been three years since I last posted. Al Kalines passing prompted me to re-post this. Sadly, just 13 days after my post Jan 17, 2017, my Dad passed away with complications of a blood clot in his leg (life long smoker). Mom is STILL kicking. The scare in 2017 turned out to be pancreatic cancer. She had a "wipple" surgery to remove the cancer and is doing incredible to this day. She was huge baseball fan and a true Tigers fan growing up. Mom will be 84 at the end of this month!!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's great to hear that your mom is doing well. Keep her safe in these trying times.

Regards, Nick

• Options

Prayers needed..Mom is on hospice now. Cancer returned and is in liver and kidneys. Had a gathering last Saturday and got her out for some sunshine. She is also a diehard Cornhuskers fan and had to wear her sun visor!!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

prayers sent her way!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers sent. Stay strong and God bless you all.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

May God bless your mom with the strength she needs. Be with her as much as you can.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

God speed

God bless

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

God Bless your family. Cherish the wonderful memories.