Home Precious Metals
Options

B&M ACTIVITY

For those of you visiting brick and mortar stores, how about updating the activity you see when you visit.

Today was my second visit to a B&M and actually I went to two B&Ms to check on prices and activity.

At both, the only activity in bullion was selling.

At one B&M only bullion and gold coin sellers were there, as well as two folks selling gold jewelry. In all, five people in this one store all selling. I was there for less than five minutes.

At the second B&M which has an active bid board, there were a few checking the bid board in advance of this week's auction, but at the counter three were selling coins... one selling silver dollars, the others selling silver and gold.

While I was at this second store the owner answered one phone call from a person asking about buying silver... wanting to know the price and type of silver available.

this was today, tuesday Sept 22.

Comments

• Options
    the last time I was at the B&M a guy had just purchased $600,000 in Gold bullion and placed another order for $600,000 more.
    The people coming in were selling mostly Gold but also some Silver, I asked the owner how the volume of Silver purchases compared to 1979-80 and he said it was much smaller now more like a trickle compared to a flood in 1979.

He also had sold a fair amount of green monster boxes recently too.

Edited from sales to purchases by the B&M owner.
  • Options
    Every time I go to my favorite B & M coin store you usually see more selling than buying, however the selling its usually small amounts, less than a 1000, most of the time its less than 250 bucks.

However i have heard phone order of 20K plus and have seen a costumer buy a roll of GAE and pay in cash.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopped at my B&M today just as a big seller was leaving. When the dust cleared, he'd dropped off several hundred BU 1978 100 Pesos and several hundred assorted BU Canadian silver dollars, as well as maybe 20 Hamilton Mint 1-oz art bars.

I don't do Mexican or Canadian, and tho the Hamilton bars could probably be flipped, I wasn't interested in them, either. Went away empty handed. But it was a big 'ol mess of silver.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Dumb question: What does B&M stand for?
  • Options

<< <i>Dumb question: What does B&M stand for? >>

Brick and Mortar

Basically, a local coin shop.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all need to be more specific......in every transaction, one side of the counter is "selling" and the other is ""buying."
    Try saying "selling in" or "selling out," or "buying in" or "buying out" to clarify which way the bullion or other goods in question are moving.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    when I say everyone was selling, I mean all of the customers in the shop were selling to the shop.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in a smaller local than most of these reports obvisously. I would love to have a 100k day , if I get that in a month I am happy.

anyway, the past week has been literally a buying frenzy , people coming in to load up on bullion in the form of common date $, silver eagles, bars, and what little gold I can keep in. Anything gold bullion based, is snapped up very fast. This past week I had several calls from people I havenever herd from before wanting gold bullion by quantity.

Collector coin sales are slower and softer lately.

jim