Home Sports Talk
Options

"Pujols wants Cards to sign Manny"

Pujols wants Cards to sign Manny.

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Albert Pujols is encouraging the St. Louis Cardinals to sign Manny Ramirez.

The Cardinals slugger, who won his second NL MVP award in November, acknowledged the team might not have enough money to land the free-agent outfielder.

"I speak with Manny every three days and he tells me, 'Man, no one wants to sign me,'" Pujols said Thursday during a news conference. "I'm not an agent or general manager, but I can't understand how Manny has not signed."

Pujols passed along Ramirez's telephone number to St. Louis manager Tony La Russa.

"Maybe St. Louis doesn't have the money to sign him, but he could give them a discount because St. Louis is a great city that supports its players," Pujols said.

Pujols plans to play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. He is coming off surgery on his right elbow.

"I'll represent the Dominican Republic while I'm healthy," he said. "The only thing that can stop me is if I feel any discomfort."

----------------------------

I love it:
"I speak with Manny every three days and he tells me, 'Man, no one wants to sign me,'" Pujols said Thursday during a news conference. "I'm not an agent or general manager, but I can't understand how Manny has not signed."

cause who doesnt want an aging, lazy, cancerous douchebag on the team lol.

Comments

• Options
    I think Manny is a good sign for the Cards. Manny played great for the Dodgers, and will play great for St. Louis too.
    His asking price may be too high, but his numbers are solid year in and year out.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we have seen what motivates Manny: next year's contract. Signing him to anything longer than one year is not wise, IMO
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Manny is a good sign for the Cards. Manny played great for the Dodgers, and will play great for St. Louis too.
    His asking price may be too high, but his numbers are solid year in and year out. >>

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Pujols needs to shut it down. I want Manny out here!! image
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Good lord....Manny/Pujols/Ludwick in 3,4,5 holes for STL? that is almost unfair to the rest of the National League.

For the record, I don't understand how Manny is not signed either.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Manny is a cancer, why would you want cancer? Pujols is ticked cause he never sees any good pitches.

Are the Cards even the second best team in the central with Manny?

JS
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good lord....Manny/Pujols/Ludwick in 3,4,5 holes for STL? that is almost unfair to the rest of the National League.

For the record, I don't understand how Manny is not signed either. >>

your memory must be failing
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Manny is a cancer, why would you want cancer? Pujols is ticked cause he never sees any good pitches.

Are the Cards even the second best team in the central with Manny?

JS >>

I disagree with you Kevin. Yes Manny will be Manny they say and yes Manny did cause some problems in Boston, but he didn't cause the Red Sox to be a worse team while he was there. He actually helped them win a couple of titles and he probably could have helped him last year. That being said, I have always interpreted the word "Cancer" as in regards to sports as "someone who is detrimental to his team, gets in trouble all the time and gets suspended, or causes them problems they can't overcome" When I think of "Cancer" I think of someone like Pacman Jones.

brian
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They way things are going, Manny may have to sign a one year deal for a paltry $8 million. Way to go, Bor-A$$!
  • Options
    <<<your memory must be failing >>>

I am firmly entrenched in the Bill Simmons camp on this one. Manny isn't a cancer - that situation last year was just as much Boras's and the Red Sox's fault as it was Manny's.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jdip9...

I am firmly entrenched in the Bill Simmons camp on this one. Manny isn't a cancer - that situation last year was just as much Boras's and the Red Sox's fault as it was Manny's.

You seem to have info I was not aware of, would you care to flesh out your comments above? Exactly how and what did Boras and more importantly, exactly what did the Red Sox do to be at "fault"? Furthermore, please define the "situation" you are refering to in your statement.

• Options
    bump
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bump >>

To sum it up, Bill Simmons article says Manny is an idiot, and Boras and the Red Sox did a bad job of handling an idiot.

To some extent I agree -- Manny is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I do believe he does think for himself most of the time. And when he does, simply put, he is selfish, and not a very nice person. The fact that NONE of his teamates, not even Papi, defended him speaks volumes, and it was the team that ultimately decided that Manny had to go, even for the bad deal the Sox got out of it.
  • Options
    Connecticoin

You are spot on, #24 is all about #24...and there are other instances of his hubris. However, JDIP9 stated that he felt Boras and the Red Sox were as much at fault for "that situation last year". He has not yet responded to my inquiry and I bumped the post because it was falling off the bottom, I was interested in hearing what he had to say. Perhaps he is unable to defend his post, dunno, we'll see.

Whoever gets #24 will eventually have their patience tested by this ego maniac.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan I would like this "cancer" back for at least one more year!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Al, from what I recall of the Bill Simmons article, one of the main points he was trying to make was that it was Boras who coached Manny into making these bad decisions (not suiting up, not swinging in critical games) so that the Red Sox wouldn't pick up their options on him. Boras would have reason to do this because Manny's contract had been signed while he was represented by different agents so Boras wasn't making any money off of him. If the options were picked up that commission would also go to the former agents. So a new contract would benefit Boras and Boras must have convinced Manny that a new contract would benefit him too.

I don't have a high opinion of Boras so I'm inclined to believe that his handwriting was all over this issue. Boras is great at two things: making money and making his clients look bad in the process (see A-Rod, Teixeira, Varitek, et al).

I think Manny's biggest crime is being an idiot who also happens to be a hitting savant.
  • Options
    Here's Simmons' article.

Link
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I don't want this punk on my Phillies. I'll win with class ballplayers or I'll lose with class ballplayers - case closed.