Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Submitting coin question - "Crossover"

I have several Morgans in my collection that I want to Crossover to PCGS. None of these are world-beaters, the average value is probably $100 or less.

Since I don't really care if the grade drops a point, does that mean I have to crack them out of their original holder myself in order to avoid paying $20 per coin extra?

Can I just tell PCGS that I want them crossed over regardless to avoid the fee?

Thanks for the help. I read the entire "FAQ" and this wasn't in there.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Types of Submissions
    You may submit coins through grading, regrading or crossover at any of these service levels. "

There is no fee difference for grading vice crossover. If you want them to provide you with a "Comment from PCGS grader." then there is an additional $20 fee.

P.S. I would crack them out.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>"Types of Submissions
    You may submit coins through grading, regrading or crossover at any of these service levels. "

There is no fee difference for grading vice crossover. If you want them to provide you with a "Comment from PCGS grader." then there is an additional $20 fee.

P.S. I would crack them out. >>

If there is no price difference why would you crack them out? Don't I have a better chance at them shipping without incident if they are encased? Would you mind clarifying?
  • Options
    A lot of people think sending raw coins in yields higher grades, others say it makes no difference, as the graders are not supposed to see any previous grade. From the way you're describing the coins, I would leave them in the holder- no hassle of cracking the coins out plus no chance the coins could come back ungraded as "cleaned". Just write "cross at any grade" in the minimum grade box.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "If there is no price difference why would you crack them out? Don't I have a better chance at them shipping without incident if they are encased? Would you mind clarifying?"

No bias that way. I've had two NGC coins "cross" at the same grade and one ANACS "cross" at two points higher via crack-outs.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>"If there is no price difference why would you crack them out? Don't I have a better chance at them shipping without incident if they are encased? Would you mind clarifying?"

No bias that way. I've had two NGC coins "cross" at the same grade and one ANACS "cross" at two points higher via crack-outs. >>

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate the expert advice!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i submit through friends and on no brainer coins that are gradeable...i crack them...leaving no bias

but on a protected interest coin or iffy in my gutt...i don't submit or even try to cross as i sell them reducing the purchase outlay of one i like
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    If you keep them in the holder, you won't get a body bag. When you crack it out, expect one.
  • Options

<< <i>If you keep them in the holder, you won't get a body bag. When you crack it out, expect one. >>

Good point. I haven't had any luck with the crack out method, but dosn't mean it won't work. I don't think I'll try it again. But then again, according to PCGS, they are no longer going to let you know what the coin would grade in PCGS if it dosn't cross.