Home Metal Detecting
Options

The inaugural MD Forum "Best Expedition Photo Contest"- post your favorite outing photos!

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
(Attached poll has now been deleted. The results pasted below show that the forum supports our addition of a photo contest to the monthly polls. Read the upcoming March Entry/Nomination thread for particulars.)

Should there be a "Best Expedition Photo" contest as part of the monthly polls?

Total Votes: 29

Yes
22 (votes) 75.86 (%)
No
2 (votes) 6.90 (%)
Maybe (with certain suggestions- post below)
0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
Photos should be part of the existing "Wild Card" category
1 (votes) 3.45 (%)
Pass (show me the results only)
4 (votes) 13.79 (%)

ASUTodd tried to enter some pictures of a wildlife sighting in the Wild Card category this month. I suppose a wildlife sighting is a "find" of sorts, but not really what we had in mind, perhaps? (It's WildCARD, not WildLIFE, Todd! Sheesh!) image

Edit- he pointed out that the Wildcard category is an "anything goes" category, which is a good point. Should nice photos be included in the existing Wildcard category instead of having their own? (I added this option to the poll, and in so doing, ended up deleting my own "Pass" vote, so I have no vote now).

Should we limit the number of monthly entries to the Wildcard category if photos are considered "finds"?

Nevertheless, from Todd's recent pictures (which were a real turkey, as you will see), to Zot's "critter pics", to DesertRat's scenic shots, I've seen some great outdoor photos here on the MD Forum. Some of these need to be recognized.

Do we need another award category? Being an occasional pollster for the awards, who hates to see too many categories cluttering things up, part of me says no, but on the other hand, "Best Expedition Photo" could be a fun award, and a category for those (like yours truly) who often has outings which produce nothing but a good photo or two. Like the "Wild Card" category, it could also bring in participants who aren't necessarily detectorists.

I'll attach a poll here on whether or not you think we should have a monthly photo contest in addition to the usual awards, and I'll make my vote a neutral.

In the meantime, let's see your best expedition photos, be they digging action shots with cool finds coming out of the ground, or landscapes, or wildlife, or funny antics. If we make it a regular monthly category, then entries should be for that particular month only, but since this is the first one, we won't limit the timeframe- post a past favorite.

Post yours or nominate somebody else's. If it becomes a category, we can award sigline plaques like the others, if not, we'll just do it once in a while, for braggin' rights.

Let's limit it to say, maybe...two or three photos per member?

(Let's also try not to go too much bigger than 640x480-ish, if possible).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    "Turkeys In The Field", by ASUTodd.

Taken February, 2008, in North Carolina. (Todd, you can PM me if you want a different title or more details in the caption, or if you prefer the other shot you took.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    "Bluejay", by lordmarcovan.

Taken January 17, 2008, at the Old Coast Guard Station, East Beach, St. Simons Island, GA.

• Options
    "East Beach In Winter", by lordmarcovan.

Taken January 17, 2008, at the Old Coast Guard Station, East Beach, St. Simons Island, GA.

• Options
    "Butler River", by lordmarcovan

Taken August 17, 2005, from the Butler River bridge in McIntosh County, GA, on my return from a rather fruitless relic hunt (it was dangerously hot that day).

I actually took a more interesting shot seconds later, with a sunburst in the clouds.

It became a sigline picture for me, when cropped and reduced.

That original pic suffers a little from the intrusion of the bridge abutments, but the sky is more interesting than it is in the "purer" picture which I am entering above.

• Options
    "Twilight Peak", by BentFork.

"The Big Guy Chugging Along The River", by BentFork.

"Underway Again", by BentFork.

All taken around Durango, CO, Spring, 2007.

• Options
    "Haunted Farmhouse", by goldrush00013.

An eerie old house in Magnetic Springs, OH, abandoned since a 1956 murder-suicide.

Posted during Virtual Treasure Hunt II, in August, 2005.

• Options
    "Mossy Forest Stones", by Zot.

"Gold Ring Action Shot", by Zot.

(Here's the gold snake ring he found that time.)

Finds made near Helsinki, Finland, January 7, 2007, during Round 5 of the Virtual Treasure Hunt III.

These are not the best Zot photos, by any means- just a few I knew how to find with a search.

• Options
    My problem is this.....I ALWAYS forget to take my camera....Like it is I have my hands full....I guess I could always do a re-enactment...Would that be ok???
  • Options
    "Lake Isabella", by DesertRat.

"Sierra Nevada", by DesertRat.

I'm taking some liberties with the titles, here. Also with the size- I downsized these a bit from the large originals.

I am pretty sure he said all this was part of the Sierra Nevada range- the second shot was also taken at Lake Isabella, apparently.

Pictures were taken in central California (I had to Google Lake Isabella to know that), on January 21, 2008.

• Options

<< <i>My problem is this.....I ALWAYS forget to take my camera....Like it is I have my hands full.... >>

Yeah, Steve- your hands are always full... of LOOT you've dug! image

That's OK- leave the photography to those who aren't as successful finding stuff, maybe. image

Or bring me along as your personal photographer and archivist... image

• Options
    OK, somebody else post some.

Steve, call me, since I see you're online. I think today will be my February outing day. With or without you, but with you would be nice. Got any ideas? I don't even care where we (or I) go at this point. Just need to get out before February passes without a "Digs O' the Day" entry.

• Options
    I like the idea of a monthly poll for photos.

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Here's Jim with his entourage....

Just a little help here guys....

Found out why the internet never worked.....wrong cable...

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options

I like the idea. I don't usually take my camera... look at it as an extra item to pack, and time taken away from hunting (because my hunts are usually during my lunch break). But, once in awhile I will take some pictures of a favorite spot.

Here's one I took last year... not an "eye appealing" shot, but more of a fun reminder for me. Title of the picture = "Barber half spot" image

• Options
    Here's an old Hardshell Baptist Church, located in Brantley County, Ga. Built around the 1850's ..LM and I went there on an outing....although very little was found, I think I did find a wheat cent from the 50's...LM and a friend of mine had one eventful day...I won't go into it here, but needless to say..when the urge hits, you gotta go..

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I say give it a go for the next few months. I doubt we will be swamped with pics and we should get to see some really nice shots.
    If it dosen't work out ...drop it.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Here is a photo that was taken last year when me and my buddy went kayaking in one of the back creeks around his house. I am posting this one because we did have our gold pans with us, I didn't have a metal detector at the time but I do now!!! I will be returning to this spot to check for nuggets with my DFX. I jus thave to wait for the water to drop. More photos of some of our outings goto Outdoor Junkies. This is a MySpace page so you will ned a profile there to view any pics. Our site, OutdoorJunkies.org will be up soon (I've been saying that for over a year now). My buddy and I, Travis, take a to of trips during the year to various places. We usually post pics of our adventures and now that we have metal detectors to add to the fun, well all I can say is just wait till summer!!! If all works out we should have a nice collection of trips and finds under our belts. Lata!
    Todd
  • Options
    Steve- I was hoping you would post that picture. That place was neat.

• Options
    Days end ,, New Mexico

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    Very nice.....here's a couple from my back deck....we get some nice ones here up in Colorado.

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Nice photographs everyone !! Its cool to see other places !

another type of photography that could be shared is other hobbies ,,Im also a rock hound ,,they are also a type of treasure ! and I find many of them while detecting or looking around for places to detect .

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    Here's one I took the other day......I had spent all morning getting ready to go out MD'ing.....then this came up........one heck of a rainstorm that had two tornadoes spawned in Fla....this is the front as it came in..

• Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    ok here's some photo's of me in riccars fav. digging area.
    first, gotta bribe the little guys who do the digging for us:
    digging a barber on a seldom used path:
    the cool stone bridge near the path:
    the stairway to heaven:
  • Options
    Cell Cam

Sun Rise - Another day at the beach - Port of Hueneme Beach Calif.

Hueneme Pier

Photo Op: Beach "cut"

Next wave ALMOST got the DFX!!!

VTH 3 - Plaza Park - early AM

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    TrainNutTrainNut Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Cool train pics.image
  • Options
    Olentangy River upstream. Taken October 30 , 2006.

Olentangy River downstream.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    "Avenue of Oaks" by Lordmarcovan.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    demodigger reminded me of this one...

GGP right after finding a Barber dime: