Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Let's play the "Grade Me" game. Card is back! Scan added

Just wanted to get opinions of the Grade of this Simmons. I think it can pull an 8.5. What do you guys think?
"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
CDsNuts, 1/9/15

Comments

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    Now that I look at it on the screen,,
    Do you think it's trimmed? I'll be pissed if it's trimmed.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the left upper and lower corners will get you a 9, but it's definitely much better looking that that 8.5 Foster rookie in the other post. If this doesn't score a 8.5, I'd like to know the reasons why.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 8 every day of the week no matter which dunski at PSA is grading it, and possibly a 9 if the right grader is holding it.

Edited to add: Only if the red line under his catcher's mitt isnt a pen mark.
  • Idono, man.. It has it's share of white on those edges, couple of less than sharp corners from what I can tell, along with the print dot, and the red mark by his mitt.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Should be an 8.5, but they're being pretty conservative in handing out the .5 grades.
  • What's the vertical little red line by Simmons' glove?

The centering looks good all around, only a slight tilt in the pic. For the issue, top two corners are ok, only the bottom left looks a little touched up. Hardly any border chipping at all.

It's a nice card, depends on what that vertical line is.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Looks like an 8.5 candidate to me.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    I got my loupe out and still can't tell what the red line is. I think it's stray print, but seems like a weird place for it.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • After seeing the 71' Foster, this card may very well receive an 8.5. But...... that does not mean it's truly worthy of the grade, in my opinion. I see nothing but another downfall in the grading business with this .5 system. BGS has almost ruined themselves with their grading tactics. GAI has done such for sure. I hope PSA does not do the same with this whole .5 scale fiasco. I have always stuck by the belief that you buy the card in the holder, not the grade on the outside.
  • There is a PSA 8 available on EBay right now. The scan is a little blurry, but when you download the pic and blow it up it looks pretty clean - really can't tell about the corners though. I think the cards are equiv.

71 Simmons

I would say this would be an 8, if not 8PD. I am not sure how the print defect will affect you, but if 8.5 is supposed to be the 'perfect 8' then I would say this would fall short.

Then again if you look at the 71 Foster RC in another thread that got an 8.5, you have to wonder.
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    PSA 8. chaz
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Looks like an 8,Only prob is that red mark people have mentioned.

Good luck

• << <i>PSA 8 every day of the week no matter which dunski at PSA is grading it, and possibly a 9 if the right grader is holding it.

Edited to add: Only if the red line under his catcher's mitt isnt a pen mark. >>

I'll second this to a T...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)

• << <i>Looks like an 8,Only prob is that red mark people have mentioned.

Good luck >>

I think that is where the trimmer marked the card's centerline to ensure he was accurate. image (hopefully joking) image
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • PSA 7 due to print defect
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Bottom right edge looks trimmed to me...hope for your sake its not.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    the answer my friend,
    is blowin' in the wind.

71s are a dice roll, i dont find red mark offensive, so i say psa 9!

J

RIP GURU
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
    I took a gamble on card and bought it raw on ebay. I thought it looked like a 9 on the screen, but of course when it arrived it looked more like an 8. I paid $30 for the raw card. The gamble probably won't pay off.
    Here's the 8 that I own. I think I paid $22 for it on ebay. It's a very nice card, but I really want one in a 9 holder. GD set registry!
    Sorry about the blurry scan. My scanner just can't handle any depth.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • that mark is very troubling. If it isn't from a pen (MK), then it is a PD IMO. Without the mark, this card would have a legitimate shot at a 9 so I always ask myself why it isn't holdered already.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
    Well, that's what I always ask myself, but the seller said that it was from a set break. He did have every single card from the 71 set up for sale, so I figured he was not cherry picking the cards. Who knows? Maybe he was legit. Most of the rest of the set looked Primo as well.
    The mark does not look like a normal pen mark under loupe, but it could be some sort of marker.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    what % of raw card/set sellers on e-bay are accurate in the description of the condition of their cards? either intentionally or unintentionally IMHO they are usually off. off in over not under grading their -ish.

the true beauty of grading system is that it eliminates doubt, especially w/ .5 system.

for instance:
    RIP GURU
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Red mark, not good.

If you have a CLEAN Post-It, you can place the
    sticky part on the red-mark. Leave it for a few
    minutes. If a faint trace of the mark does NOT
    show on the removed PI, the mark is likely not
    a pen. (It looks like a Pentell or a uniball marker.)

A fresh PI will not leave any residue on the card.
    I do it on expensive stamps, often.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
    Well I got my 12 Free grades back from PSA today, and I guess you could say this one made me do a little danceimage
    The red mark made me worry, but I guess the grader didn't think much of it.
    With this card I'm now #1 on the Ted Simmons Master Set!
    Now if I could only find a 71 OPC psa 9,,,,,,,
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Giddyup. Thought that bottom corner would keep it from a 9, but the overall sharpness and eye appeal was probably strong enough that the grader thought otherwise.
  • 8irvin88irvin8 Posts: 173
    Very Nice
    I'm gonna beat Bosox1976 to the punch and say Yahtzee!!

I know you're keeping it, but just in case, the last PSA 9 sold for $159 a little over a year ago. image
  • Congrats! That is a killer looking card, red mark or not.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
    Was it from the seller named 71Toppsman?
    Nam,

I had to search my feedback to find it Seller: zorbaca ( 2203
    I do remember being super ticked that it arrived 'Postage due', and only in a card saver for protection.

I was so f in mad.

Feedback I left for him
    "Arrived Postage Due! Are you serious? 30+ for card only cardsaver for protection"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15