Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc Lurker Finally says Hello!

With all the time I've spent on the registry forum and coin forum, I figured it was time to finally take part in some discussions. I've been collecting coins since the '60's, just generally circulated coins which I put into Whitman folders and hadn't really been much of a collector until the last 3 or 4 years. I consider myself one of those crazy dime guys on this forum, since my interest is in mercury dimes. I have a few questions to ask, but I'll hold off until later. Just want to see how well this whole posting thing goes. Talk to ya later!

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    image to the boards!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Kozman,

As a Merc guy it is a nice to see someone new! Enjoy your stay and ask all the questions you like!

Here is one of mine...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Well hello and image again. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    Hi! I like well struck and, especially, proof Mercury dimes. I don't have that many of them now and never did come close to finishing a set. Well I was fairly close to finishing a set of proofs... Anyway it is a great design! Welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Hi fcloud, that's a nice AU50 16-D in your registry. Probably never be able to afford one, but hope to get a VF someday. I have been checking out the pictures in your set off and on for the past couple years, and it's a pretty nice set- up with photos. I tried to get a bunch of my mercs tru-viewed last year but PCGS claims they do not have the service anymore. All I have is a scanner now and the pictures are bad. I see that you are #12 under FB'S and varieties, and I am currently at #14. Do you know how I can put a link of my set in my profile? I have tried and I can't make it work. By the way, I see that this forum is kinda dead these days, where are all the mercateers? Thanks for the welcome . (KozMc Mercs)
  • Options
    Thanks for the double welcome etexmike!
  • Options
    Jeffs and proof jeffs are cool also. Thanks for the welcome Carl and everyone else on this forum.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi fcloud, that's a nice AU50 16-D in your registry. Probably never be able to afford one, but hope to get a VF someday. I have been checking out the pictures in your set off and on for the past couple years, and it's a pretty nice set- up with photos. I tried to get a bunch of my mercs tru-viewed last year but PCGS claims they do not have the service anymore. All I have is a scanner now and the pictures are bad. I see that you are #12 under FB'S and varieties, and I am currently at #14. Do you know how I can put a link of my set in my profile? I have tried and I can't make it work. By the way, I see that this forum is kinda dead these days, where are all the mercateers? Thanks for the welcome . (KozMc Mercs) >>

KozMc,

I played around with your link and for some reason can not get it to work. I do notice that you are missing the open bracket [L (you're missing that bracket) and you have an extra space in your closing [ /L] should be [/L]. The way I have it set is below. Maybe you can play with it to get work by changing your set number.

Change my number 5925 to 11176 and see what happens. (right click on my "Mercs-100%" select properties and copy the link for the details).

Mercs-100%

Thanks for the comments on my set. As far as the 1916-D goes, I purchased it at the right time. I would never be able to afford one now either. Maybe someday I will be able to add to it and upgrade. I started out with an AG03, move to a G06 (which upgraded to VG8) before getting to my car payments. image It only took about a year and a half to pay it off.

The mercateers are around, but for some reason we are not as active. If you post looking for Mecateers, they will comment. Some of them have on this tread. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Thanks fcloud, Since my wife is the computer expert in this household, I'll have her try to fix it tomorrow.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Hello.

I believe Tony has gave you the right information to get your set to show up.

Cheers.

Ken
  • Options
    Thanks fcloud, my wife finally got the link to work. I'll talk to you later. Dennis (KozMc Mercs)
  • Options
    Hi Ken, It's been about three years ago when this forum was buzzing with merc people talking about crack-outs and upgrades and all kinds of interesting topics. I was a lurker at the time but still communicated with various members and bought and traded mercs with them on the side. The purchases I made with you really gave me a jump start to my merc collection and there are still actually eight of your mercs in my collection today. There are also a couple in my wife's collection (Deb's Dimes #23 FB's and Varieties). I really appreciated your help and I still think the 18-D and the 19-D are two of the nicer mercs in my collection. Well anyway it has reached a point that it takes thousands of dollars to just make one upgrade and I don't have deep pockets. I hope to purchase a 16-D someday along with the two overdates, and I will have to upgrade my 21 and 21-D. I would like to get pictures together but all I have now is a scanner and it is not very good. I haven't given up on my collection but I feel like I have run into a brick wall. So I have decided to work on a Jefferson proof collection and a Jefferson FS collection for now. I'm going to start a thread later about a very interesting Jeff proof that I have that was graded and certified by David Hall's Numismatic Investment Group. I believe this was Pre-PCGS ( in the early eighties). I will scan it and hope to get comments on what it is. By the way Fairlaneman I see that you are putting together a date set with some nicely toned mercs. It really is a cool looking set. Well anyway, thanks for letting me ramble on for awhile and I will talk to you later. Dennis (KozMc Mercs)
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis the 18D was one of my favorite coins in my old set. It was probably surpassed only by the 28S that I had and could not convince any of the folks that it was a real smoking coin. Finally I sold it to another collector and strongly advised him to send it in for grade review. I really think it was a 66FB coin stuck in a 65FB slab. The 18D was so cool becuse you had the whole coin for a fraction of a FB coin. Also I really liked the color on the coin. The 19D you got from me came from Michael. Both of us thought it had upgrade potential and it looks like it did.

Anyway take your time and finish the set out. Don't get all discouraged like I did and sell them off. Just the other day I was thinking it would be nice if I had my dime set back. Atleast I rest at ease that a big portion of the set is now spread through PCGS Set Registry members.

Cheers and check in from time to time. Maybe the Mercury Dime folks can start talking again.

Ken
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kozman, welcome to the boards and collecting Mercs. I wish I had my set back to, but I am starting over with the hopes of finishing it again. But doing the complete dime set has slowed me down quite a bit! imageimage

Again, WELCOME!!!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Kozman!

I think we mercateers are just resting up!

I just bought a nice roll of choice unc 1944-D mercury dimes so I have not been totally inactive.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!