Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Serious Ebay Shipping Abuse

I asked him if he was serious about his shipping costs and have not hear back yet. Yeah I know it's not a card but still I wonder how many people looked at shipping charges before bidding.

HIGH SHIPPING
Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• Options
    well, how much should it cost to ship 2nd day air? regular shipping is gonna be about $50-60 ?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    1- I doubt he has to "only" ship 2nd day Fed Ex for safety reasons.
    2- How many people will see that and bid accordingly?

I don't think $263 in shipping is standard for this type of item, which is what it would cost to ship it to me. Going the standard UPS or USPS route from my recent investigation it is between 30 and 50. I am just saying most people have that cost in mind when looking at this kind of item and some may be in for a shock if they don't read the auction carefully. This item is already at what it would normally sell for so I am interested to see what the final price hits.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe he is buying it a fisrt class plane ticket
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It shows up as $128 to me. I think because I am in Cali as is the seller. A tad high but it's a large item and he is sending two day.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    He replied, he stated that the max shipping he would charge is $150 for all of the US except Alaska and Hawaii and it is a mistake. It shows up as 263 to me based on the numbers he put in. What if I won, he charges 263, i say he told me 150 max and he says the auction stated what my price was my email was a mistake?
  • Options
    I never bid on auctions were the S&H costs are outrageously high. I was looking at some comics and the seller said that if the price did not reach a certain level, S&H would be $10.00 per book. You can mail 15 bagged & boarded comics via Priority Mail for $9.00. Needless to say I passed on the books & none of them sold.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    almost 295.00 to ship it to me here in NY

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I've had guitars sent 2nd day air to me and NEVER paid over $100 for shipping. If I use 5 day ground it is usually $40-50.

I was looking at buying a guitar from the UK last summer and air shipping wasn't going to be $200!!
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    I do not ship things that large, but he advertises 2nd day air. That may be reasonable for 2nd day air on a guitar that has to be packed carefully
  • Options
    there are 5 people who apparently don't think the shipping is too high. I would guess they build it into their bids like everyone else. It's $128 to ship to my address. He could fly up here (Bay Area) on Southwest and deliver it to me in person for that price.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Did anyone notice that he stated it would be
    "professionally packed"
    that means he's paying someone too much to pack it up for him
    that's another reason shipping is high
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about you guys, but I find the recent glut of obviously fake vintage wax packs for sale on ebay far more offensive than a clearly stated shipping charge, no matter how high it is. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.