Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

FS: Amazing 1916 MPL cent PCGS PR66BN"SOLD"

$17,500 PCGS POP 2/0 Brothers it gone!!

The image is very accurate, the coin is amazing!

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Lord! Wonder what a 66red would sell for???
    Doug
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    Hi Doug,

In March of 2003 A 1916 PCGS PR66RD sold at auction for $20,700. In todays enviorment I could see a nice example selling in excess of $50K. JMO
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brothers, Mrs. curly saw me ogling this coin. She asked, "Do you want it?" I said, "HECK YEAH!!!!" She said, "Then go get a job." image

Well brothers, that killed that.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Doug,

In March of 2003 A 1916 PCGS PR66RD sold at auction for $20,700. In todays enviorment I could see a nice example selling for easily in excess of $50K. JMO >>

Doug,
    Isn't it nice to have one of the 3 1916 PCGS PR66RD sitting in YOUR Set Registry right now?
    Steveimage
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    Another thing to note about the 1916 in Red designations at PCGS. Across the board it has the lowest population in total coins graded in Red.

#1 (1916 all grades Red 27 ) 3 1916's are graded PR66RD with none higher

#2 (1909 VDB all grades Red 30 ) 2 1909VDB's are graded PR67RD

• Options
    Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool image

p.s. memo to PCGS: looks like the price guide ($3,750) is WAY off on this one image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1916 MPL's in red are as elusive as a 26-s in red. They are not dull like the S mints (and the 1912 MPL), but they toned fast most likely due to the mint packaging for that year. The reason I say that is because most of the "original" 1916's I have seen have toned purple to one degree or another. I don't think I have ever seen a full red 1916, the way you would expect to see "full red." I don't want to get into the old debate over brown vs. toned, but you just will not see a 1916 out there that has good solid red color, unless it has been stripped. Stewart may have seen some, but I haven't. They are as rare as hen's teeth. The one that sold in 2003 was a little faded, but not atypical for 1916.

Mine has a full red reverse and some purple toning on the obverse. It has enough purple on the obverse that PCGS might call it RB if it were any other date, but it is a 1916. It has more original red than I have seen on any other 1916.

Yes Steve I am glad to own it, and VERY glad I bought it years ago and don't have to purchase one at todays prices!
    Doug
  • Options
    <<<Brothers, Mrs. curly saw me ogling this coin. She asked, "Do you want it?" I said, "HECK YEAH!!!!" She said, "Then go get a job.">>>

Mrs. Driver saw me ogling this coin and said "Go get a mistress, it'd be cheaper."
  • Options

<< <i>Brothers, Mrs. curly saw me ogling this coin. She asked, "Do you want it?" I said, "HECK YEAH!!!!" She said, "Then go get a job." image

Well brothers, that killed that. >>

imageimage
    aka Dan