Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: JUNE, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard fin

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for the five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    I nominate davbec's 1900-O Barber Half.
    imageimage
  • Options
    goldrush00013's Barber spill which included a 1907-S half dollar and 1912 quarter.

imageimage
  • Options
    Wildcard nomination for phut's early Adena point.

imageimage
  • Options
    Man this is going to be a tough month. You guys are killing me. Good job. image

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i'll enter this under whatever category

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    For US coin I have this 1865 Indian Head- it was bent when found and straightened out:

imageimage

Two for best foreign coin, a 1917 Canadian large cent dug in same school yard as the Indian:

imageimage

And a 1906 Canadian Edward VII quarter (sterling silver-.925 fine):

imageimage

For wildcard, this 1958-D dime found in change:

And for relic, this button with bird center and motto "Spes Nostra Es Devs" or "God, you are our Hope"

• Options
    Best U.S. Coin/Token

My First G.W. Dollar

2007 D

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Best Jewelry Item

silver ballerina charm

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'll enter this found 6/7/07 dry sand on the beach in chicago.

Chicago Ron
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I'll enter this found 6/7/07 dry sand on the beach in chicago. Chicago Ron >>

Nice find Ron.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    I guess I'll enter the wildcard category with the ladies, Wenger Swiss Army Stainless Steel "Commando Chrono" watch. Found in the street with the crappy photo. image
  • Options
    Here is mine for best jewelry:

18k gold grille

best coin/token:

1903 V-nickel

HH,Tom
  • Options
    Best coin/token for the month:

1874 Rail Road token
    "Oakland, Brooklyn, & Fruitvale RR Company"
    "One Fare, 1874"

Best relic?

"Rolled penny" made into a Key fob
    ("1940 San Francisco, Treasure Island, Golden Gate, Intl Exposition")
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    This Is my wildcard find.
    Found these two homemade guns in an attic of an old building. I'm remodeling the building and was able to search it before the
    demolition.image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Jewelry:

Zot's silver charm with camel and palm trees

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    I'll nominate Phut's 1876 CC dime for best US coin.

I'll nominate his silver and turquoise? ring in best jewelry.

His early boot buckle for best relic.

I'll nominate his Bust-coin lookalike button for best relic. Listed in the Albert button book as PC6 Early 1800s RV10.

Any other nominations?

I will post the polls tomorrow.

imageimage