Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sweet Vintage Find Today

So i walk into this antique shop about 30 mintues from where I live and I see a Ziploc bag full of what I think are 1994 Topps Archieve baseball cards. So I pick-up the bag and they end up being 1954 topps baseball with a price tag of marked "500 baseball cards $25" . I then race to my car and discover there are also 1955 Bowman, 1953 Bowman, 1953 Topps and two 1952 topps high numbers. I nearly sh!t my pants. I nearly got 500 cards for $25 plus I end up getting a 1954 Jackie Robinson, Richie Ashburn, #1 Ted Williams a 1955 Bowman Berra , Campy, Banks , Aaron. This is the sweetest pickup of my life. Here are a couple of pics of the 52 topps':

Cheers,
Ryan

Comments

• Options
    awesome. i have dreams of finds like that.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    WOW! Grats on the cards man! image
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Yeah, bring on more scans!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nickel a card can't be beat! More scans!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    neenishneenish Posts: 559
    Sweet! I love hearing about finds like this. Can't wait to see more scans (like the '54 Robby).
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane

• Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Here is some more...

Not in the best shape,but who caresimage
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    are you selling the 54s? I'd like to start a set.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Wow. A real antique, and in an antique store no less... Ya never know.
    ORANGE
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Great find! I've gone through a lot of antique stores over the years and haven't found anything as good as the deal you got!

That's what keeps me goin'!
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    WoW!

This one is for you!

• Options
    CONGRATS!!!Keep the scans comin'
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Great find! You NEVER know when you are gonna come across something like that. They could have been NM-MT! Unless you are always looking, you will never find them!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very nice find
    i once found a 87-88 fleer basketball and stickers set priced for $12.50, that's been my best find but i like yours better.
    i got a 52 topps duke snider for $10 at a show in detroit and it came back a psa 5 (black back)
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find! Now those cards have character!
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt !!!!!!!!!! chaz
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Those cards show alot of love and handling. No reprints here.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Wow. You really got ripped off. Just look at those corners.
    ORANGE
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    I don't know about ripped off. Still a pretty good find. The only thing I have to compare it to is when I found a bunch of old comic books at a yard sale once for like $1. I almost sh*t my pants then too.
  • Options
    Very cool find!! Did you continue searching for sports memorabilia or run w/ your find, before they realized their mistake??
  • Options
    Sweet find. Please show us some more scans!
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Man that is an awesome find!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool find!! Did you continue searching for sports memorabilia or run w/ your find, before they realized their mistake?? >>

Ran like the wind
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find xbag!!!

25$?

I spent more than that on sushi last friday!!! image

Thanx for sharing
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow. You really got ripped off. Just look at those corners. >>

Yup. Total garbage. Send them my way, and I'll dispose of them properly for you. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Giving what I am working on now, I would have loved to find something like that.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>So i walk into this antique shop >>

One of the last times I went camping, we stopped by this little sleepy tourist town, and visited a few antique shops. Of course, I've got baseball on the mind, so my eyes are scanning for something like what you found. I did find some baseball cards, however, they were in PRO and GEM holders! Imagine that! He had a PRO 9 1963 Stargell rookie in the front of the case with a $5k price tag on it. I wonder if the guy's cash register was full of 3 and 4 dollar bills as well.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So i walk into this antique shop >>

One of the last times I went camping, we stopped by this little sleepy tourist town, and visited a few antique shops. Of course, I've got baseball on the mind, so my eyes are scanning for something like what you found. I did find some baseball cards, however, they were in PRO and GEM holders! Imagine that! He had a PRO 9 1963 Stargell rookie in the front of the case with a $5k price tag on it. I wonder if the guy's cash register was full of 3 and 4 dollar bills as well. >>

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Now you are going to do the right thing by telling the Owner how much he left on the table, right? image

Great find imageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    JVetteJVette Posts: 206
    Congrats!! Outstanding find !!!
  • Options
    In that condition it's a cool find, but people sell those cards for a dollar at their tables at shows... if they're lucky. O.K. so you didn't really get ripped off, I suppose. but it looks like some of them corners did...
    ORANGE
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So i walk into this antique shop about 30 mintues from where I live and I see a Ziploc bag full of what I think are 1994 Topps Archieve baseball cards. So I pick-up the bag and they end up being 1954 topps baseball with a price tag of marked "500 baseball cards $25" . I then race to my car and discover there are also 1955 Bowman, 1953 Bowman, 1953 Topps and two 1952 topps high numbers. I nearly sh!t my pants. I nearly got 500 cards for $25 plus I end up getting a 1954 Jackie Robinson, Richie Ashburn, #1 Ted Williams a 1955 Bowman Berra , Campy, Banks , Aaron. This is the sweetest pickup of my life. Here are a couple of pics of the 52 topps':

Cheers,
    Ryan >>

Well, I've been in a lot of antique stores and we know they don't give things away. I'm wondering if perhaps the owner meant for the cards to be $25 apiece or something like that and a clerk didn't properly interpret the price tag. Highly unusual. Even $25 for some of those cards would be a low price. I guess we'll never know. Great find!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    ORANGE, even if he sold the cards at 25 cents each, he'd get $125 for the group. You'd be surprised at how many people are collecting low-grade sets these days. This group of 500 vintage cards is worth easily $500, maybe more. The stars alone (Aaron, Jackie, Ted Williams, etc...) are worth $25 a piece minimum.

Just because you don't see value in vintage low grade cards, doesn't mean it's not there.

Lee
  • Options
    Awesome find - it's stories like this that make it fun to read through these forums. Thanks for sharing image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen cards like that for a dollar at any show I have been to. Never mind the HOFers, If you can find 1952s in that cond. in a dollar box, I'll take a monster box please.
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Very sweet. If you took some pics and put that lot on eBay, I wouldn't be surprised if you got 50 times your investment for it. You never see 500 card lots of early 50's cards...

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'll get $40 or $50 each just for the two 1952 high numbers.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan, There is no way you can keep those cards. You collect football. FOOTBALL!!!!. Get a box and wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to me. I'll gladly pay the $25 in American greenbacks, plus shipping of course to take those mis matched cards out of your collection so it can remain pure. Send me your paypal account. Never mind I still have it. image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    pm sent on the 52 topps
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong I'd buy that for 25 bucks in a flash. But later on I'd be like. Damn these are some bad condition cards...
    ORANGE
  • Options
    I just listed the 1954 topps lot HERE just cause I don't collect this year. I'm interested to see what they will fetch, my guess round $75. I also have the two 52's up right now with over 20 watchers on each of them.
  • Options

Congrats!!!!

...and thanks for sharing. That's what makes this board worthwhile !

Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.
  • Options
    baggy--you're charging $20 for shipping on the Robinson???
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

• Options
    oops, that should be $3.50
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Good idea on selling them as lots. I predict you will make at least 300 on the whole deal easy.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    well i never saw 1952 topps high numbers on any dealers table for $1 a piece. i guess the dealers got "lucky" and sold them before i got there. since you are the one who comes across these, orange, do yourself a favor and snatch them all up and make 25+ times your money on them easily.
  • Options
    5 days to go and the 52s and 54s are already at $105. Can't get better than that...but you know it will.

• Options
    Because he advertised in the right place. That dude may have found those or not, he sure as hell told the right people about it.
    ORANGE