Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

IS there a differnce between "Leasing" and having the same coin listed twice?

What is the is the difference?
I can't keep up with all the posts and sub posts to that "Leasing Drama" WC originally posted. PCGS has allowed the same coin to be listed in more than one set. I know this because I have done it. Since I learned about it from some of the leading set holders I never really thought twice about it, that is until now. Thank you WC for that. I am now thinking that I don't see much difference in the two after having gone through some the posts that have been made.
I find myself wondering just how much different this is than having a leased or borrowed coin in a set? I don't know. I have always followed the lead of members that I beleive to be more informed and qualified than myself. These threads and this forum in particular are a vital part of the Registry system I feel. I would like to play by the rules but what are the rules? I am more than willing to pull out out any dupes I have listed. What is the general feeling here? Do we need PCGS to decide or should have some sort of straw vote about these issues? I will be the first to remove any dupes I have listed if that is the concensus.

Larry
Dabigkahunaimage

Comments

• Options
    It's absolutely appropriate for the same collector to lists the same coin in one or more of his sets.
    You do know that two separate sets- even if they are different types of Registries- cannot contain the same coin, right?
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    You can list it as many times as you want as long as it is in YOUR sets. You & I can't use the same coin though.

Wondercoin's point was for ME not to let YOU use my extra unregistered pop 1/0 coin in your set just because you are my buddy. I can't tell you the coin number of my extra pop 1/0 coin and let you "borrow" if I still own it and have it in my posession.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BORROWING POP ONE COINS FROM ONE SET AND USEING IN YOUR OTHER SETS IS DEPRESSING YOUNG POTENTIAL SET OWENERS FROM PLAYING,AND IS DRAWING A FINE LINE BETWEEN LEASEING-LOANING-USEING PRINCIPAL OF DEPRESSING ANY COMPITITION.
    PEDIGREE SYSTEM DESIGNED BY PCGS MEANS ONE COIN ONE SET!!! HOW DID WE GET OFF TRACT???????????...........GARY
    The Victorian Collection
    EMAIL:
    relictrader@suddenlink.net
  • Options
    Listing the same coin in more than one set is perfectly fine, as long as you are the legitimate owner. I should absolutely be able to use one of my Jeffersons in a type set, for example.

Requiring each coin to only be listed in a single set will hurt the little guy, who would be forced to buy another coin in order to participate. Those with deep pockets can always buy another coin.

Pedigrees should not be a problem as long as you use a generic name, such as "Smith Collection".

Ken
  • Options
    When I first started doing Reg Sets I had enough coins to do the Mod Type, Mod MS and Mod Proof about about 50% and not use the same coin twice.
    I eventually used the highest grade coin in all
    3 sets just to see what the numbers looked like. I felt like this was cheating although the board said it was ok.
    Since I had no desire to buy a bunch of Proof Ikes, SBAs, Sacs, JFKs etc I deleted the Proof set and got out of the way of my fellow collectors. I still maintain the Modern MS because I actually bought a few commems just for that set.
    Since some of the years overlap for the sets I do use the same coin in the Mod Type 1900-now which is my favorite set and the Complete Type 1793-1964 and the Mod MS. My sets are rather puny though and I don't interfere with other collectors in reaching the top. Although I have said I have 13 Highest Graded coins in my set it's not like I have $3,000 SBAs or $5,000 Ikes. So far I have a decent ave grade of 66 or so for over half complete and haven't spent over $200 on a coin strictly for the set. I had a head start in that I already had many of the coins.
  • Options
    I have a magic 1964 Kennedy half dollar. At last count, this coin can be registered in more sets than any other coin. It's a MS-66 grade, not the highest, but only MS-67's above.

Is it really cheating to use it in a Kennedy set, a Complete Type Set, a Copper Nickel Silver Type Set, a Modern Type Set, and a MS Modern Type set? I don't think so. Would it do more of a disservice if I had to buy 5 Kennedy's to use. Wouldn't it be better to leave some of those other higher grade coins on the market for other collectors? I only have the two Modern sets registered, but only one is currently competitive, although both are complete. If I were to register the other 3 sets, none of them would be near the front page.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Buy 5? hahaha I know you had a hard time just finding 1 in 66!
  • Options
    Nah, Kennedy's easy to find in 66. 67's are another story though. For MS Modern, only coin I had trouble locating was the right kind of Susie in MS-67, and for that one, she's ugly enough I would refuse to buy more than 1.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Thanks Dog, Mod, Solid and Keith
    That is how I thought most people felt about having their coins listed in more than one set. I will still go with the whatever the majority feels is right on this.

Gary,
    I think I understand your point but I don't know if I agree about the competition keeping other collectors away, new or old. I mean how would someone even know if the the same coin is being used in more than one set or if the sets rated above you are comprised of borrowed or leased coins regardless if they are pop. 1/0 coins or not?
    I signed up about a year ago to ahve my $5 GAE set Pedigreed. No where did PCGS say that they were not going to pedigree modern sets at that time. First I was told by PCGS that the American Eagle sets in particular would not be considered for pediree and they said nothing about the other modern sets. After jumping head first into the other modern sets I was then told that none of the modern sets would be considered for pedigree until sometime this year. Even with all this, my collecting has pretty much gone on as before. I know that I will probably never be able to match the calibre of sets like HD's but I think if anything it has stimulated the competition. Would it have made a difference if I knew that the sets above me were made up "not owned" coins? Maybe, I can't say for sure.
    I don't expect a beginning collector to jump on the Modernn Set band wagon and have a top ten set right out of the shute. There are sets I know I would never be able compete in because of the cost and this would be true even if there were no Registry sets to compare it against. Money is what it takes to compete in these sets and from what I am hearing on these threads it sounds like some people are trying to put some sort of a cap on these sets to allow folks who cannot afoard it to still be competing for the top slots. I don't know but I think a big HMMMMM! is in order. The PCGS Registry sytem is obviously not perfect but for the time being I think it is the best game in town.

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    Larry,I have severial new people started in collecting coins and some have asked what sets could they start and be in top 5 with out morgageing there home.The answer not simple for the top pop 1 coins dominate the most series.What's left for newbe except state pf quarters or sac dollars......gary
    The Victorian Collection
    EMAIL:
    relictrader@suddenlink.net
  • Options
    Gary,

For a majority of sets, competition is fierce to get into the Top 5. Limiting a collector to using a coin in a single set will not stop that. New collectors should not expect to hit the front page of a Registry overnight. That's the way it should be.

I think a great example of this would be High Desert's Modern Type Set. He doesn't have any coins in there that are population 1 that I remember (at least when he started). He may have some pieces that are low population (25 or less), but most are coins that may not come on the market often, but are available to a collector with the right resources.

Keith
    Keith ™