Home Metal Detecting

Lordmarcovan's shark teeth giveaway

I'm just now getting one of those "round tuit" things to post the shark teeth LM gave away. When they arrived the entire family did the, "let me see, let me see!" thing. My daughter who is 18 was particularly impressed with them. As I mentioned to LM, I don't have any fossilized shark teeth in my collection and I appreciated having them. The big piece in the picture according to Rob is part of a Megalodon tooth.

The beige thing in the picture is a pepper pod seed for scale. So you can see how small some of them came.

I want thank you again Rob. I really appreciate having them.

Gary
imageimageimage

Comments

• marymmarym Posts: 713
    Very very cool!!! Where did they come from? (no funny stuff guys, I know they came from a shark's mouth, geeze) image lol
    Be Still and Know
  • Dang you're sharp. That would have been my reply. Or maybe Jerry's. LM can give you the specific info on where he found them. I think they come from Andrew's Island according to the PMs we have had. I could be wrong though. Maybe he will chime in and give us the straight skinny on it.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • >>Dang you're sharp. That would have been my reply. Or maybe Jerry's<<

--- >:-|

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    LM sent some with my coin order. My soon to be four year ols daughters thought the shark's teeth were the coolest thing ever! Thanks Rob!
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, I think LordM told me that Andrews Island is used as a dumping spot when they dredge the waterways down there. I had hoped to get out there with him one of thesedays, but looking at my work schedule, I don't when it will ever happen.

I have a nice little collection of teeth that I found on Hunting Island State Park beach over in Beaufort SC years ago.........largest is only about 1" long.
    imageimage

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are all from dredge spoil material taken from dredging in Saint Simons Sound and Brunswick Harbor, here in SE GA. Most of the dredge spoil is dumped on Andrews Island, across from the Brunswick waterfront. Sadly, it is now restricted. It always was, I think, since the DOT runs the spoil area, but they didn't have it posted and nobody really cared for a long time. Now it is very clearly marked as a restricted area and I suspect trouble would befall anyone tiptoeing out there, alas. But the still-accessible dirt causeway that leads out to it is a spot where you can pick up little teeth like the ones posted above. Just no big megalodons. These come from a big box that was mostly found by my local dig buddy Billy Ridenour.

See that long, wicked-sharp, skinny-curvy fanglike one at top right in Gary's picture? There's another at lower left, and looks like a partial one without the root in the middle (which is nearly identical to one I picked up at the boat ramp just the other day, BTW). Those are Sand Tiger shark teeth.

Kinda boggles the imagination to think that these things are maybe five or ten million years old. Of course many of these forms still exist in living sharks today (though the megalodons are long gone, thank goodness- they would make surfing rather unpleasant!)

I read somewhere that it takes at least 10,000 years to form a fossil, at the bare minimum. Of course fossil shark teeth stand out from the modern ones, since they're usually a dark, glossy battleship grey or black, while the recent ones are snowy white.

Thanks for posting these. I see you have a picture of a megalodon jaw. There is one like that in a local shop here- in the touristy Village on Saint Simons Island. They have megs for sale, too, at inflated, touristy prices.

Here's a whole Meg for you to look at, again. It's not the biggest I've ever found- I got two that were over 5" long- but this one is the nicest-quality example I personally have picked up so far. I think it is probably comparable in size to what yours would've looked like, whole. (Though who knows- yours might've been bigger). These particular sharks got to be the size of buses, and lunched on whales. Their choppers are pretty fascinating and intimidating.

The value of megalodon teeth increases exponentially with size, and like coins or most collectibles, condition counts, too. Most of the time, when you get over five inches, the pricetag goes into the lower three figures. At six inches, you're often lookin' at anywhere from the mid three figures on up into the four figure pricetags. At seven inches, you're in the money.

Here is an extremely rare 7.12", high grade tooth with a deformity, from megmawl.com, which is the best sharktooth/fossil site I have found on the web. It's for sale, too. But I suspect you might enjoy MegMawl more for the info, since that sucker has a $24K pricetag! image

Ahh, now there's the stuff we fossil sharkhunters dream of!

But I like finding "teaser" fragments like your partial Meg, too. Heartbreaking, and fun, all at the same time. They don't always survive the dredge pipe. Most of the nice intact biggies are found by divers instead of mudlarkers like me.

Megalodon teeth like the one I have in the first picture are actually not terribly expensive. That one just happens to be special to me 'cause I found it. I would imagine it's worth fifty bucks or less. Maybe considerably less. However, some of the prices they threw around in that recent Travel Channel airing of The Best Places To Find Cash & Treasures, when they were at the Peace River in Florida, sifting out Megs, were pretty eye-opening. It was a really good episode.

Speakin' of "Round Tuits", I did send you one of my wooden nickels, right? I need to get some of those with the "TUIT" design printed. When I get a round tuit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say, those are two curious-lookin' doodliedoos at the left of the picture (9:00). Looks like a possible crocodile tooth, maybe. And that other... curvy... thing... to the right of it... wonder what that is? Doesn't look like a sharktooth! Maybe an inner earbone thing from a dolphin? I dunno. I dunno what size those should be. I am a rank amateur at this fossil thing- sorta learned it while I walked along, if you know what I mean.

It's obvious that the contents of your bag were a random scoop from my big box o' rox, since I didn't even know what I was sending you!

Word up to the winner of my NICER sharktooth VTH3 prize, when the time comes... there are some things in there I don't totally know the identity of, either... who knows what might be there! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Rob, I noticed those items also. I wasn't sure what the bone looking thing was. BTW, yes you did include a wooden nickel. Thx. If anyone has a collection of wooden nickels, I'd like to see them. Especially antique ones.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Cool fossils!

<< <i>f anyone has a collection of wooden nickels, I'd like to see them. >>

Only one I have is the same one you received from LM. image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage